Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

Iain, I used warm water and took the eggs out quickly. Only one egg sank all the way to the bottom, the others floated at the air sac. Are they suppose to sink all the way to the bottom? I took the temp of my water before I started and had it at 98* F so that it wouldn't be too hot or too cold. Any additional advice is appreciated. Three of my eggs are on day 31 and haven't pipped. They look a lot like psue's picture. The other eggs I tried this with are a week behind the three that haven't pipped and they floated at the air sac and we can see movement in them.

That sounds odd to me littledear and hope that Celtic can answer your question. I thought they were always supposed to float fat end on top because of the air cell. I have not seen an egg just sink to bottom before.

Sue, if it floats its dead. Make the water deep enough to cover the entire egg. It should be warm water to not chill the egg. Slow lower pointy end down and let go. If it sinks and stands on point look for a wiggle (it's alive) if it floats (it's dead).
Thasista, welcome aboard. Of she isn't tending her nest and you want to hatch its best to take the eggs. Then again if all of the eggs hatch do you have plans for them?
lol.png

I have about 30 eggs in the incubator so I think I'm going to let her set. Most of the time she is on the nest. What am I going to do with them all? I haven't a clue, but I have a big pond and lots of acres. I still have 12 more goslings coming from various people. Just got 4 goslings from metzer. I am addicted to hatching. I need help.
ep.gif

Iain, I used warm water and took the eggs out quickly. Only one egg sank all the way to the bottom, the others floated at the air sac. Are they suppose to sink all the way to the bottom? I took the temp of my water before I started and had it at 98* F so that it wouldn't be too hot or too cold. Any additional advice is appreciated. Three of my eggs are on day 31 and haven't pipped. They look a lot like psue's picture. The other eggs I tried this with are a week behind the three that haven't pipped and they floated at the air sac and we can see movement in them.

my eggs will sink but stand up early on but float just about aircell level close to hatch date

That sounds odd to me littledear and hope that Celtic can answer your question. I thought they were always supposed to float fat end on top because of the air cell. I have not seen an egg just sink to bottom before.
caf.gif
I have about 30 eggs in the incubator so I think I'm going to let her set. Most of the time she is on the nest. What am I going to do with them all? I haven't a clue, but I have a big pond and lots of acres. I still have 12 more goslings coming from various people. Just got 4 goslings from metzer. I am addicted to hatching. I need help.
ep.gif

the only help avalible around here is help to hatch more... we are all hopelessly addicted to little fuzzy butts
lau.gif

It is with great pleasure that I give this morning's report:

3 Toulouse eggs on day 24 are rocking and air cell starting to dip. They are on track for 13-14% weight loss.
2 African eggs on day 24 are rocking and air cell starting to dip. They are on track for 13-14% weight loss.

2 Toulouse eggs from Erin on day 12. Both are growing nicely, although one egg has detached air cell. On track for 14-15%,

3 precious buff dewlap toulouse eggs on day 8, doing GREAT! Currently on track for 14-15% weight loss.

2 surprise Toulouse eggs from Erin that I am getting ready to set today. Upon candling, both look very fresh and fertile. One has wonky air cell, but otherwise have full confidence in this one developing. The 2nd egg has fully detached air cell (not scrambled though), but not as confident in this one developing. Good thing I was able to buy duck eggs to set... just in case only one hatches.

wee.gif

That is great news Iain!

I set Erins eggs last night. One of them is absolutely the biggest goose egg I've ever seen. My mom had chinese and embdens, but even compared to Erins other Giant Toulouse, it is a whopper.

My scale has quite, and DH hasn't been able to fix it. I'm stock just marking the air cells, and checking them for water loss.
fl.gif

All my goose eggs continue to thrive, thus far. And Lucky, the assisted hatch duck, is doing great and is now in the brooder.

Okay I had one egg sink pointy side down all the way to the bottom of the water. All of the other eggs were placed pointy end down and they floated at the air sac level with points down. Can anyone tell me if they are still alive if they float at air sac level?

It is with great pleasure that I give this morning's report:

3 Toulouse eggs on day 24 are rocking and air cell starting to dip. They are on track for 13-14% weight loss.
2 African eggs on day 24 are rocking and air cell starting to dip. They are on track for 13-14% weight loss.

2 Toulouse eggs from Erin on day 12. Both are growing nicely, although one egg has detached air cell. On track for 14-15%,

3 precious buff dewlap toulouse eggs on day 8, doing GREAT! Currently on track for 14-15% weight loss.

2 surprise Toulouse eggs from Erin that I am getting ready to set today. Upon candling, both look very fresh and fertile. One has wonky air cell, but otherwise have full confidence in this one developing. The 2nd egg has fully detached air cell (not scrambled though), but not as confident in this one developing. Good thing I was able to buy duck eggs to set... just in case only one hatches.

wee.gif
celebrate.gif

That is great news Iain!

I set Erins eggs last night. One of them is absolutely the biggest goose egg I've ever seen. My mom had chinese and embdens, but even compared to Erins other Giant Toulouse, it is a whopper.

My scale has quite, and DH hasn't been able to fix it. I'm stock just marking the air cells, and checking them for water loss.
fl.gif

All my goose eggs continue to thrive, thus far. And Lucky, the assisted hatch duck, is doing great and is now in the brooder.
wee.gif

Okay I had one egg sink pointy side down all the way to the bottom of the water. All of the other eggs were placed pointy end down and they floated at the air sac level with points down. Can anyone tell me if they are still alive if they float at air sac level?

thats the way all mine do once the aircell is too big to stay underwater. I'd be concered about the one that sank unless it's not as far along
idunno.gif

Psue, are you saying the ones that are held up by their air cells are alive? The one that sinks is at the same day, day 31. I hope you are right because the eggs that are floating (the large air cell tip) include my two Sebbie eggs and I would really hate to lose the last two.

Psue, are you saying the ones that are held up by their air cells are alive? The one that sinks is at the same day, day 31. I hope you are right because the eggs that are floating (the large air cell tip) include my two Sebbie eggs and I would really hate to lose the last two.

all of mine have floated the last week... usually just about the last aircel line before dipping. Remember I've only had 2 hatches but that is what I've seen

Back
Top Bottom