Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

Looks like I've got a shrinky dink! I could tell the baby was not able to move. no change from the first pip I saw this morning. I broke away some of the shell from where the air sac was, no veins or anything there. And sure enough the baby inside is shrink wrapped. I moistened the membrane with a wet qtip and misted down the bator, making sure not to get the baby, and added some more water. Once I broke away some of the shell, SHE (yep, another gilrly!) squiggled and tore some membrane, so I'm hoping she will continue to try and do the rest herself.
Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you know it is a girl?

Goosed, hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong... but while your membrane appears dry, the baby has filled into the egg and the membrane has not literally shrunk like heat plastic shrink wrap on food. If you opened egg and saw a ton of space completely between baby's sac and shell and the membrane was super crinkled up... and the pics are after you swabbed and moistened and the baby then expanded, that is different.

Either way, the baby looks like it will be just fine. Make sure you keep humidity at 80%... swab membrane with warm wet qtip every couple of hours... and you will be good to go!!

Goosed, hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong... but while your membrane appears dry, the baby has filled into the egg and the membrane has not literally shrunk like heat plastic shrink wrap on food. If you opened egg and saw a ton of space completely between baby's sac and shell and the membrane was super crinkled up... and the pics are after you swabbed and moistened and the baby then expanded, that is different.

Either way, the baby looks like it will be just fine. Make sure you keep humidity at 80%... swab membrane with warm wet qtip every couple of hours... and you will be good to go!!

Yes, this is exactly the case! I could stick a finger in the space between the baby and the shell. The pics I took are after it was moistened and she moved. I took them to show you in case you saw anything else going on that I need to do, etc. I'm hoping just providing more moisture and getting the membrane moist will be all she needs to get out on her own. She couldn't move before. Once I moistened it, she wiggled some more. Shes super tired right now and isn't moving much.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you know it is a girl?

Pilgrim geese are sex-linked, goose is gray, gander is white. Gooselings are a darker olive color, and ganderlings are a silvery yellow color. I can see her beak and can immediately tell it's a girl based on the darker color.

Quote:
Pilgrim geese are sex-linked, goose is gray, gander is white. Gooselings are a darker olive color, and ganderlings are a silvery yellow color. I can see her beak and can immediately tell it's a girl based on the darker color.
Ah... Duh! (smacks self on forehead). I totally didn't think about sex-link. I'm retarded on Mondays.

OK, good job then!!! What time did she externally pip? I would plan to ease her head out about 18-20 hours after that time. Then plan on helping zip... which will take at least a few hours.

lau.gif

Ah... Duh! (smacks self on forehead). I totally didn't think about sex-link. I'm retarded on Mondays.

OK, good job then!!! What time did she externally pip? I would plan to ease her head out about 18-20 hours after that time. Then plan on helping zip... which will take at least a few hours.

Thanks! I was so stressed out and did it ever so carefully! I don't know what time it was when she ext pipped. Some time between midnight and when I checked at 7 am. Ok, I hope you're around for this!

HELP!!! Iain!! I went to feed my horses, and when I got back she has turned and has back and has both wings out of the shell and face down in the shell! I quickly chipped a safety hole where her beak is, on the left side of the egg. What do I do now!!

Back
Top Bottom