Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

Btw, update on #3 (I really need to name these guys something other than #1 and #3)

Baby is still alive and kicking. Got it to drink more water, and by the level of the lid of water I left for it, it drank while I was gone. It wants nothing to do with food yet. Came home to find that the poor little thing was all spraddle legged (and it's on good footing, so goodness knows how it managed that). I taped its legs, and it's able to get around a bit now. Has almost no balance, probably because it hasn't yet been able to practice walking! Anyhoo, still far better than it was yesterday. It screams to be picked up, and then goes to sleep on me almost immediately. If I put it back and leave the room, it'll scream for a good 15 min straight. Sure does have a good set of lungs!

Bull, not sure why but sometimes it can take up to 24 hours for eyes to open/close properly and it does sound like they may have been a touch premie. I'm sending positive thoughts that your new baby will gain strength and be just fine this afternoon!

Isn't it precious to see a baby gosling with a baby duckling. I love my pair!!!
love.gif
Iain, just wanted to say thank you (again) for all your help! I'm planning on setting a new batch of 9 eggs in the incubator tonight. Hopefully I can do a better job with round two! Baby gosling/duckling duos are definitely adorable. I'll have to get some pics of my duo up too. :)
Yeah good luck!!! I did much better the second round. I really upped the humidity the second go round

These are my babies. Of the little ones, one was hatched at about 5am this morning, one at about 2am and the other Sunday morning.... or afternoon, I can't remember. LOL. The other huge one was two weeks yesterday. It is almost scary how fast they can grow. He/she is now at the stage where it will follow me all over the yard. If I squat, it will lay under me. SO very cute. zI am done with hatching for this year. I ended up with 17 chickens and four geese. I am happy. A little sad tho that I got my days all twisted and just a bit ago I went to put my last egg into lockdown and when I was in the process, I noticed the date of putting it in the incubator.... I thought it had a week to go and it should have went to lockdown on Saturday. Went to candle it and could tell it was dead. I hate that it is my fault, but feel a little better when I broke it open to look and it has been dead awhile. I was really not fully developed I dont think, but just cant figure how I screwed up my dates so badly when it was written right there on the egg. Good time to quit for the year.. And yes... whoever said that thse three would be fine... you are right.. they are all up and walking fine and pooping like champs. Boy are they pooping....lol
She's out!!!
celebrate.gif

congradulations to both of you!!!

Wow everyone!!! Such great posts in a short time!!

Newduckie, beautiful babies!! Congrats!!!! Excellent 2nd hatch!!

Bullcreek, you are doing great with your last baby. Keep it up and I bet it will get better soon. Are you adding a drop of polyvisol (without iron) and a dash of sugar to the water? FYI, my first gosling is actually named "No. 1" as he was the 1st one I hatched and the label stuck.

Goosed!!!
ya.gif
Did she do it on her own? Did she zip or push??

Wow everyone!!! Such great posts in a short time!!

Newduckie, beautiful babies!! Congrats!!!! Excellent 2nd hatch!!

Bullcreek, you are doing great with your last baby. Keep it up and I bet it will get better soon. Are you adding a drop of polyvisol (without iron) and a dash of sugar to the water? FYI, my first gosling is actually named "No. 1" as he was the 1st one I hatched and the label stuck.

Goosed!!!
ya.gif
Did she do it on her own? Did she zip or push??
Yep, poly and a sprinkle of sugar.

Huh... maybe it needs to keep the name then. :)

Iain, any words of advice on sterilizing a brooder? Hot water and soap work, or is there something else I should try?

HELP!!! Iain!! I went to feed my horses, and when I got back she has turned and has back and has both wings out of the shell and face down in the shell! I quickly chipped a safety hole where her beak is, on the left side of the egg. What do I do now!!
This little one is giving you problems... Good luck. I am behind and hope that by the time I catch up you will have a baby

I know you were talking to someone else, but I will throw my two cents worth. To sterilize I wash and then make a bleach solution about a en percent solution and spray it all over the inside. Let it set awhile and then I hose out the bottom section to make sure all the bleachis out.

IAIN - Whats the news on your dewlaps? Hows the Giant Toulouse? I want frequestnt pics!!

She's out!!!
celebrate.gif

yesss.gif

Btw, update on #3 (I really need to name these guys something other than #1 and #3)

Baby is still alive and kicking. Got it to drink more water, and by the level of the lid of water I left for it, it drank while I was gone. It wants nothing to do with food yet. Came home to find that the poor little thing was all spraddle legged (and it's on good footing, so goodness knows how it managed that). I taped its legs, and it's able to get around a bit now. Has almost no balance, probably because it hasn't yet been able to practice walking! Anyhoo, still far better than it was yesterday. It screams to be picked up, and then goes to sleep on me almost immediately. If I put it back and leave the room, it'll scream for a good 15 min straight. Sure does have a good set of lungs!

Mine all came out weak legged, and ducks do too pretty often. It just takes 24-48 hours and they ar fine, and seldom need foot braces. Just let them practice, IMO.

These are my babies. Of the little ones, one was hatched at about 5am this morning, one at about 2am and the other Sunday morning.... or afternoon, I can't remember. LOL. The other huge one was two weeks yesterday. It is almost scary how fast they can grow. He/she is now at the stage where it will follow me all over the yard. If I squat, it will lay under me. SO very cute. zI am done with hatching for this year. I ended up with 17 chickens and four geese. I am happy. A little sad tho that I got my days all twisted and just a bit ago I went to put my last egg into lockdown and when I was in the process, I noticed the date of putting it in the incubator.... I thought it had a week to go and it should have went to lockdown on Saturday. Went to candle it and could tell it was dead. I hate that it is my fault, but feel a little better when I broke it open to look and it has been dead awhile. I was really not fully developed I dont think, but just cant figure how I screwed up my dates so badly when it was written right there on the egg. Good time to quit for the year.. And yes... whoever said that thse three would be fine... you are right.. they are all up and walking fine and pooping like champs. Boy are they pooping....lol
Your pic is completley adorable! I am like
ep.gif
when I see the difference two weeks has made! Holy Cow.

Question for you guys. How do you disinfect your incubator before a run? I want to set a second batch tonight, but don't want to breed bacteria at the same time.

I use a soapy water and rag/brush wash to remove uck from bottem of bators, screens, and then I also rub all but electirc stuff down on top and including egg turners. Next, I make a mild bleach solution (directions for sterilizing on back of bottle) in the tub, and dip bottem and screen in for 30 seconds, then rinse with my bath hair wash hose. I also use rag to bleach inside top (no elec. stuff), then rinse with rinsed out rag, and then put it tagather and plug it back in.

Back
Top Bottom