Here we go again..... Pullet or roo???

zoereef1221

Songster
8 Years
Jan 28, 2016
North Carolina
This is an 8-9 week old Easter Egger to replace our last EE, Texas Pete, who turned out to be a roo and crowed at 8 weeks. I would include a pic of the tail but unfortunately this poor chick has no tail feathers right now. Any ideas???

Any help appreciated!

The pink comb, combined with the deep red on the shoulders means you have a cockerel. No doubt.

Oh gosh, I'm thinking I was wrong by thinking it was a pullet. So I'm wondering, does red on the wings mean it is a cockerel for EE's? I'm trying to learn how to identify the gender in EE's so that's why I'm wondering. Oh, and also when the chicken is red in most places, will it be a cockerel if the wings are a darker shade of red? I knew some about this tip with the EE's but not a lot, so I'm wondering.

Last edited:
The pink comb, combined with the deep red on the shoulders means you have a cockerel. No doubt.

x3 Definitely a rooster

Oh gosh, I'm thinking I was wrong by thinking it was a pullet. So I'm wondering, does red on the wings mean it is a cockerel for EE's? I'm trying to learn how to identify the gender in EE's so that's why I'm wondering. Oh, and also when the chicken is red in most places, will it be a cockerel if the wings are a darker shade of red? I knew some about this tip with the EE's but not a lot, so I'm wondering.

First, at 8 to 9 weeks of age, any bird with that much pink comb is male, especially for pea comb types. Yes in (dare I say *all*) breeds, red wing bars means male. (Can't think of any breed where females have red wing bars, even some exotic breeds...but I don't know every exotic breed).

In EE's in particular, red wing bars will mean male, so will patchy coloring. Males look like a color block quilt or base color with splotches of secondary pattern while females have even patterning like a kaleidescope.

The bird in question has both red fleshy comb at 8 to 9 weeks and what appears to be blotchy coloring. My monitor is not showing deep red on the wings but there is a deeper brown that could be appearing which can also be indicative. (I have had some EE and mix breed pullets have darkening on the wing bows that later blended in...but if you see brick or red or mahogony, it is male).

LofMc

There is a specific shade of deep red that only males will have. It's kind of a universal thing for chickens with red/gold coloring, regardless of breed. For a few examples, take a look at pictures of Welsummer, Copper Marans, Gold Laced Wyandotte, and Wheaten Ameraucana roosters.

Gah! Not again! What are the chances of having a small three bird flock and this will be my second EE rooster.
1f616.png

x3   Definitely a rooster

First, at 8 to 9 weeks of age, any bird with that much pink comb is male, especially for pea comb types. Yes in (dare I say *all*) breeds, red wing bars means male. (Can't think of any breed where females have red wing bars, even some exotic breeds...but I don't know every exotic breed).

In EE's in particular, red wing bars will mean male, so will patchy coloring. Males look like a color block quilt or base color with splotches of secondary pattern while females have even patterning like a kaleidescope.

The bird in question has both red fleshy comb at 8 to 9 weeks and what appears to be blotchy coloring. My monitor is not showing deep red on the wings but there is a deeper brown that could be appearing which can also be indicative. (I have had some EE and mix breed pullets have darkening on the wing bows that later blended in...but if you see brick or red or mahogony, it is male).

LofMc

There is a specific shade of deep red that only males will have. It's kind of a universal thing for chickens with red/gold coloring, regardless of breed. For a few examples, take a look at pictures of Welsummer, Copper Marans, Gold Laced Wyandotte, and Wheaten Ameraucana roosters. 

Thanks! That really helps!
Gah! Not again! What are the chances of having a small three bird flock and this will be my second EE rooster.
1f616.png

Sorry about getting another rooster. We got two bantams once that were straight run and they were both roosters, it can be frustrating.
1f644.png

Back
Top Bottom