Here we go....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Guess what arrived just now....
This is primarily for pigeons but it said it could be used for chickens too.
So the question is, should I give them vitamins today and start this tomorrow or give it to them straight away?
And also would the dosage be correct for chicks, since it's for pigeons? Should I still follow the instructions?
Instructions are CORRECT on the Label of the Coxoid bottle! Follow the dosing information on the bottle.
YES!! I would start treatment RIGHT AWAY! Don't give any more extra vitamins until the course of treatment (7days) is finished.

Glad you were able to order the Coxoid. I would go ahead and start treatment when it arrives.
Directions on the Coxoid bottle should be the correct dosing for birds. If you wish, post a photo of the product when you get it, but that particular "brand" is labeled for birds.
You don't want to give extra vitamins that contain B1 (Thiamine) when giving the Coxoid (Amprolium).

Instructions are CORRECT on the Label of the Coxoid bottle! Follow the dosing information on the bottle.
YES!! I would start treatment RIGHT AWAY! Don't give any more extra vitamins until the course of treatment (7days) is finished.
I'm glad you know what your talking about!!!! I feel really uncomfortable with medication and dosage unless I hear the specifics LOL.

I was just measuring it out when I got your message. I decided to go with my gut and just give it to them.
It took me half an hour to work out the maths 🤣 it was 28 mil for 4.5 litres.....I didn't want that much. I never did like maths.
I had to 'assist' the BO chick to drink. The other one had a nice time chucking the water out with his beak. He did drink a fair amount too.
I'm going to dip both their beaks every day anyway just to be sure they're getting enough.

I just didn't want to start them on a medicine that was vitamin absorbing until I was sure they'd be ok- didn't expect the meds to arrive so soon, thought they'd have enough time to recover from the first lot. And they should have, if I'd kept to the instructions on the first one.
7 days is quite a long time for them to be on medicine, and I didn't want to start, then realize they won't be able to finish it because they're too low on vit b? And then break the medicine cycle if you like, and have to start them again.
Anyway, they have it now.
I'll let you know how they do, and a huge thanks again to all for your help.

I was just measuring it out when I got your message. I decided to go with my gut and just give it to them.
It took me half an hour to work out the maths 🤣 it was 28 mil for 4.5 litres.....I didn't want that much. I never did like maths.
I had to 'assist' the BO chick to drink. The other one had a nice time chucking the water out with his beak. He did drink a fair amount too.
I'm going to dip both their beaks every day anyway just to be sure they're getting enough.

I just didn't want to start them on a medicine that was vitamin absorbing until I was sure they'd be ok- didn't expect the meds to arrive so soon, thought they'd have enough time to recover from the first lot. And they should have, if I'd kept to the instructions on the first one.
7 days is quite a long time for them to be on medicine, and I didn't want to start, then realize they won't be able to finish it because they're too low on vit b? And then break the medicine cycle if you like, and have to start them again.
Anyway, they have it now.
I'll let you know how they do, and a huge thanks again to all for your help.

You are over thinking/over complicating this -
  • Get them drinking the Coxoid water and make sure that's the ONLY water they drink for the 7 days and see if they improve. Don't add anything else to the water but the Coxoid.
  • Provide them with fresh chick starter to eat daily.
  • If they are eating anything else besides chick starter make sure they have a source of grit (crushed granite) available free choice.

I'm the proud mother of two chicks. That's what we do. 😂
The buff isn't eating or drinking much.
I'll update once the week is up or if one gets worse 👀
Thx again.

Btw, can I give them each an undiluted drop?
Yup! They can each have a drop a day, laid alongside their beak so they get it all. Then they get all the medicated water they can drink. If you feel like you need to, you can dip their beaks as often as you'd like to encourage drinking on their own.

I'm the proud mother of two chicks. That's what we do. 😂
The buff isn't eating or drinking much.
I'll update once the week is up or if one gets worse 👀
Thx again.

Btw, can I give them each an undiluted drop?
They are what - 5 weeks old or so?
How much does she weigh?

You can give her a direct drench (undiluted) at .25ml (1/4cc) per pound of weight for 3 days.
This is in addition to her drinking the mixed Coxoid water throughout the day. If you need to syringe the mixed water into her several times a day to keep her hydrated and to get the medicated water into her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom