Here we go....

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the problem. He didn't. I can't believe I didn't ask.
I was just so happy to have gotten it.
I think he said one mil per day for two days in the water and then follow up in a week, but I would surely need four ml and not 3.5.... would that make sense though if I gave them 2ml in two days and then after a week, 1.5 in two days?

I think he said one mil per day for two days in the water and then follow up in a week, but I would surely need four ml and not 3.5.... would that make sense though if I gave them 2ml in two days and then after a week, 1.5 in two days?

Can you call back and ask? We've seen a few inexperienced vets/ or vet suppliers prescribing the wrong dose for poultry, it'd be wise to call back and make sure the dose is accurate before treating.

The reason for the gap is because you’re killing the parasites with the first round, but there can be eggs and they need to hatch before the second round and then round two kills thoughts. But coccidiosis doesn’t work that way typically, but without knowing the medicine what I’ve got is just a guess 🤷🏻‍♀️

As @coach posted cattle are given amprollium or amprol for scours, and it is also useful in chickens off label. It comes in liquid or powder. Coxoid by Harkers is the brand in the UK that many use, more for pet birds.

It would be good to call the person back to find out wha t medicine he gave you. It might have been a sulfa antibiotic, but hard to know. Hopefully, you can get something to give.

When giving chicks medicine or supplements, a small amt in a gallon of water is the usual way. I refill their waterers from a dosed pitcher 24/7, and keep a 2nd waterer handy in case one get's spilled. YouTube shows how to make a Chick waterer from a plastic jug...to help keep stuff from getting kicked into their water. Call the Vet's office to ask how much in a quart or gallon of water, it may be a qtr tspn...and how many days to use it. Medicated food or this water solution a few days a month will help them to fight it, and ACV another 1-2 wks a month (tspn in the wtr jug also helps prevent bacteria formation in the water, too). On days it is hot or if they are stressed switch to Electrolyte power in their water. Occaisional Save a Chick or other Probiotic if either has been sick. Don't use all these at one time tho.

As an update; haven't been able to contact him, so I've put it in the water as I have nothing else.
I think it's the sulfa meds he gave me.
It hasn't done anything. Which would make sense since apparently it only fights 2/9 types of cocci.

One of them is definitely not herself. There is still blood ect.
I don't know what else to do. All I can do is try and treat it naturally (which doesn't sound like it has a very high success rate)
So I've been giving them garlic and other herbs and spices.
I've also swapped their box for a fresh one. And they are outside (under my supervision) most of the day.
If nothing else, at least they will enjoy the rest of their lives.

ACV will not treat coccidiosis. I would get some Amprolium medication, there are many brands, Corid is common in the US, Amprol, Amprocox, and Coxoid are some UK brands. You may have to get them from a vet there. Toltrazuril and sulfa meds can also be used, probably vet only. Yes, wet bedding in a brooder can make an outbreak more likely, warm, wet conditions are a good environment for coccidia.
Oh, and the vet rang. She looked into it.
You can't get Amprollium in Ireland.
Literally no one sells it.
Everyone has chickens, and yet no one has something to fight a common chicken illness??
You may have to try ordering medications. See if this is available to you.
I'm sorry you're having a hard time.

If they are still pooping blood, see if your vet can get your Toltrazuril.
In the mean time give your chicks cooked white rice with buttermilk to help sooth the intestines.
An overload can damage the intestines and birds can possibly end up with infection so see what else you can do.
Keep us posted.

Coxoid is often found at feed stores/pet shops in the UK. I realize you are in Ireland, but you may be able to order this - it's Amprolium https://www.harkersonline.co.uk/product/treatments/coxoid-treats-coccidiosis/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom