Here we go....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Ok, so here's what I'm going to do;
I'm going to clean their box thoroughly and chuck all the bedding out (I've been using hay)
Then I will put kitchen paper in so I can monitor the droppings.
I will put apple cider v. in their water. I am using an egg cup and refilling it frequently. Would one drip apple cider vinegar be enough/too much?

I'm using an egg cup as a waterer because they spill it a lot, and they dirty their water quickly. I change it all the time.
Actually I was wondering if them spilling the water a lot could cause cocci, I have heard that could trigger it.
Any suggestions, comments?
Really appreciate all your help.
Dirty water can cause a multitude of issues ... coccidiosis among them!

I'm not willing to take the losses. But I don't have much choice at this point.
There is cows in the adjoining field, but I've never seen the owners.
I will try getting some of the medicated water down them though. I'm sure they aren't getting enough.

When my bantam mix was about 4 weeks old it had some strange clear poo, but I only ever saw it two times, did not treat it other than some ACV in the water, but she is about 3 months old now and she is healthy as can be in the coop. Does anyone know what it was?

I'm not willing to take the losses. But I don't have much choice at this point.
There is cows in the adjoining field, but I've never seen the owners.
I will try getting some of the medicated water down them though. I'm sure they aren't getting enough.
Can you get hold of some poultry vitamins? That might help. Reading back through, it looks like some of my posts seem harsh - please know that wasn't my intention. I learned about coccidiosis the hard way. By the time I knew what to do, I didn't have access to the right meds for almost three days - and lost a very special rooster. I still miss my Yukon!
I hope you can find a way through this - for both your sake and your birds', Keeping them hydrated and making sure they have electrolytes (Gatorade or a children's supplement, like Pedialyte) should help a lot. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :fl

Can you get hold of some poultry vitamins? That might help. Reading back through, it looks like some of my posts seem harsh - please know that wasn't my intention. I learned about coccidiosis the hard way. By the time I knew what to do, I didn't have access to the right meds for almost three days - and lost a very special rooster. I still miss my Yukon!
I hope you can find a way through this - for both your sake and your birds', Keeping them hydrated and making sure they have electrolytes (Gatorade or a children's supplement, like Pedialyte) should help a lot. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :fl

Your posts have not been harsh, not at all.
Thank you for even bothering to reply.
Sorry to hear about the rooster.

I actually bought some Nutri-Drops the other day -wonder if I could use those....
I'm typing this with one of them on my head. She decided to jump up.
I have been dipping her beak multiple times a day and she has definitely gotten more than she did before.
I would really hate to lose these chicks, they're such characters.
They will only be five weeks on Tuesday.
They haven't lived.
Thanks for your reply.

Your posts have not been harsh, not at all.
Thank you for even bothering to reply.
Sorry to hear about the rooster.

I actually bought some Nutri-Drops the other day -wonder if I could use those....
I'm typing this with one of them on my head. She decided to jump up.
I have been dipping her beak multiple times a day and she has definitely gotten more than she did before.
I would really hate to lose these chicks, they're such characters.
They will only be five weeks on Tuesday.
They haven't lived.
Thanks for your reply.
Nutri-Drops are for formulated dogs, probably not good for chickens.
If your youngster is strong enough to fly up on your head, there's hope! Do you have electrolytes for them? One of the sports drink supplements (I use Gatorade) works really well. You can also use a supplement designed for young children. If you don't have either, there are lots of easy DIY recipes here on BYC. They don't fight coccidiosis or infections,but they do support the bird while their body fights it off. Think of it as chicken soup for your chicks!
If you have trouble getting them to drink, try laying a drop or two alongside their beaks right along the upper/lower split. As soon as they feel it, they usually open their mouths and swallow. It's much easier than dipping, especially if the baby fights you.
And you're welcome! I love being able to pay things forward. I've lost count of how many times someone here on BYC has saved my neck and my chickens' - when I didn't know what to do. It doesn't matter what time of day or night, either. There's always someone here who can help ... one of the big benefits of being part of a community that encircles the globe!

Well it actually says poultry nutri drops. I'll try get a photo of it later.
There has been blood in about four of the last thirty poops.
I say blood, it's not even red. It's kind of pinkish.
This was one of the ones I saw that worried me a bit. Photo below. And also another with blood in. It's not red. Although it looks worse in the photo than it does.
Most are solid.

They do have a lot of energy; I was trying to play Legend of Zelda and the buff chick flew onto my bed to 'help'.
My bed is pretty high. And they have been shooting around flapping their wings and sparring.
It worries me I am still seeing blood (if it is blood)
Shouldn't I have stopped seeing it by now?
Also the Buff chick wasn't drinking much, but now I am noticing he is drinking more by himself.

Attachments

• IMG_20200712_102457.jpg
    IMG_20200712_102457.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200712_171756.jpg
    IMG_20200712_171756.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200712_165034.jpg
    IMG_20200712_165034.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 15
Oops! I just realized there is a photo of my roo 😂 I didn't deliberately post that, but it's raining and my screen is wet and not working correctly.
While I'm talking about him, he's a very handsome young man, isn't he? 🤣
Oh and I don't think I have electrolytes.

I wasn't able to.
I'm still hoping this one will do its job.
I'll ask my dad when he is coming back. Should be sometime this week...maybe he could find something in England.

I know this is definitely Cocci, but do you think the 'blood' not being very red is a good sign, or the fact there isn't tons?

This is the Nutri-Drops btw. They were in the poultry section. I was a bit sceptical but we got them anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_20200712_180450.jpg
    IMG_20200712_180450.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200712_180454.jpg
    IMG_20200712_180454.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom