Here we go....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Thank you.
Is there any way I could successfully treat it naturally?
They are outside right now digging around and eating grass.
I really don't think I'll be able to get any treatment. It's not looking good.
Well, them digging around and being active is a good sign.
I honestly don't know enough about natural remedies to recommend anything.

Can you post some updated photos of the poop you see today?

I will do.
It's quite green; they have been eating a LOT of grass.
They escaped from their box a couple of times today as well. But they've barely been in it. I figured the more space they had to roam, the less chance there was of picking up more cocci from dirty bedding, ect.
So I've literally been camped outside watching them all day yesterday and today.
They haven't eaten much chick crumb. Now I'm worrying they'll get wry neck, but to be honest, they've eaten a lot of good stuff and I just need to focus on the cocci now. At least I know what to do with wry neck.
If anyone can think of any plants that might be good to try....I'd welcome suggestions. I found some dandelion root for them yesterday and they ate some.
And thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Some look healthier than others...
Haven't seen any blood/tissue in a bit, but I probably will soon.
And also two extra photos of the chicks.
Proof they're eating grass. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_143220.jpg
    IMG_20200711_143220.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200711_133122.jpg
    IMG_20200711_133122.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200711_140120.jpg
    IMG_20200711_140120.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200711_133142.jpg
    IMG_20200711_133142.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200711_133436.jpg
    IMG_20200711_133436.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 13
I will do.
It's quite green; they have been eating a LOT of grass.
They escaped from their box a couple of times today as well. But they've barely been in it. I figured the more space they had to roam, the less chance there was of picking up more cocci from dirty bedding, ect.
So I've literally been camped outside watching them all day yesterday and today.
They haven't eaten much chick crumb. Now I'm worrying they'll get wry neck, but to be honest, they've eaten a lot of good stuff and I just need to focus on the cocci now. At least I know what to do with wry neck.
If anyone can think of any plants that might be good to try....I'd welcome suggestions. I found some dandelion root for them yesterday and they ate some.
And thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.
Just make sure they have access to a source of grit if they are eating a lot of grass.

The poop is not ideal, I would encourage them to eat their normal food and get some probiotics into them (white cooked rice with buttermilk).

I have just given them their chick crumb as a mash with chopped raw garlic & a bit of Greek yoghurt. They loved it.
One of them isn't drinking very much. And he wouldn't touch the dry chick crumb.
Do you think they have a chance if I can't get the medication?

I have just given them their chick crumb as a mash with chopped raw garlic & a bit of Greek yoghurt. They loved it.
One of them isn't drinking very much. And he wouldn't touch the dry chick crumb.
Do you think they have a chance if I can't get the medication?
It's hard to know, how well they will do.
Did you give them the medication that the feed store guy gave you? Was that to go in their water?
I have no idea what he gave you, but I would finish the medication as he instructed and if that goes in the water, then make sure they are drinking the medicated water - if you need to, syringe the water into them a few times a day - often it's not the medication that doesn't work, it's the birds don't drink/consume enough of the medication for it to be effective.

I did wonder that.
They managed to poop in it. I only have 1.5 mil left. (To be diluted)
Yes it was for the water. They did seem to get better after having it, but then it seemed like they went downhill again.
I don't like to go back to get more because he gave me it for free and I don't want to be a problem. And he is probably only selling it in huge amounts.
Also if it is the sulfa medication I heard it was quite hard on the birds?
The chick that is drinking more definitely seems more healthy and like himself.

Since your chicks are eating a lot of grass, make sure they have access to grit or you may end up with crop problems on top of whatever else is going on.
I would use what you were given, try to find the other suggested medications in the meantime.
Sulfa can be harder on the digestive tract than amprolium, but we are looking at risk vs reward, and if that is what is available, I would use it. I have used it on my birds for other infections and have not hurt one with it.
I don't really know what the chances are of recovery without treatment, every birds immune system is a bit different, different strains of coccidia have different levels of virulence. The one chick does sound like it may be deteriorating. Garlic can have some benefits, but it can also be toxic in large quantities and cause a specific type of anemia, so keep that in mind.
There have been some studies on herbal/natural remedies, some sound promising, but the ability of a back yard chicken keeper to get them in the correct form would be limited unless you planned well ahead. They are usually in tincture form, extracted with alchohol or propylene glycol. If you do a search on the internet you can find some studies (a challenge to read and understand) and some other articles. It's not going to be something easily purchased off the shelf somewhere. I have always used medication since it's available easily to me and I don't want to risk losing more than I have to with delayed or unsure treatment.

Ok, so here's what I'm going to do;
I'm going to clean their box thoroughly and chuck all the bedding out (I've been using hay)
Then I will put kitchen paper in so I can monitor the droppings.
I will put apple cider v. in their water. I am using an egg cup and refilling it frequently. Would one drip apple cider vinegar be enough/too much?

I'm using an egg cup as a waterer because they spill it a lot, and they dirty their water quickly. I change it all the time.
Actually I was wondering if them spilling the water a lot could cause cocci, I have heard that could trigger it.
Any suggestions, comments?
Really appreciate all your help.
Those are all smart measures to take, but will NOT replace the Corid (amprolium.) Chicks can go downhill VERY quickly with this. Unless you're willing to take the losses, you need the meds. Any decent feed store should have it. Most cattle farmers keep it on hand, as well, so if you have neighbor with cows, ask if they have some to spare. You wont need much. Less than a cup will last you a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom