Heritage - Broad Breast crosses

Hmmm, this is the 2nd time I am hearing of a turkey hen abandoning her "mate" for a peacock! What's going on with that! The first time was on a posting on Craig's list, looking for a replacement... (that wasn't you was it?) Who knew that would ever happen? I have had a peacock visitor lately and guess I better bar the door and the gate! You suppose they just can't resist that bigger tail? Anyone else hear of this? And what happens? Do they have little Peakeys or Turkocks?

Hmmm, this is the 2nd time I am hearing of a turkey hen abandoning her "mate" for a peacock! What's going on with that! The first time was on a posting on Craig's list, looking for a replacement... (that wasn't you was it?) Who knew that would ever happen? I have had a peacock visitor lately and guess I better bar the door and the gate! You suppose they just can't resist that bigger tail? Anyone else hear of this? And what happens? Do they have little Peakeys or Turkocks?
haha. Yes, that was me. I am picking him up a royal palm, tonight.

Well, I hope you have some nice poults and from your BBW too! (and let us all know if you have any Turkocks or Peakeys).
I am pretty sure that is not going to happen. I have not found any credible evidence that turkeys and pea fowl can produce offspring. As many people who keep turkeys and pea fowl together, I would expect some credible evidence by now.

I am pretty sure that is not going to happen. I have not found any credible evidence that turkeys and pea fowl can produce offspring. As many people who keep turkeys and pea fowl together, I would expect some credible evidence by now.

I am sure you are most probably right, but you should never tell a woman or a turkey hen what they can and can't do! It may be like the bumble bee who doesn't know he can't fly... Never say never... It is my belief that hybrids happen more often than noticed just because we think it can't happen. Most probably fail to develop or don't survive after birth and if they do, have fertility problems. But once in a while, it happens! And it probably all starts with a female that has aberrant tendencies or very limited choices. In this case we have the rarest of the equation in place, a motivated female. (lets face it, males tend to be easy). And actually, I was kind of joking anyway... But really, how did that strange looking bird in Mexico happen!

I have not seen him mount her, yet. He fans out and "dances" for her but I haven't seen it go past that. She has completely deserted the chicken run, though, and hangs out with him all day. So any chance I had of her mating with the turkey are pretty much gone.
(Unless she decides to go back into the chicken run for some reason).
I have heard that they are able to mate, though. I would have to look it up again but I did find some articles on line that say it can happen. We shall see.

Meanwhile, (back at the ranch), my 2 BB hens have gone broody... They are apparently taking turns sitting in the nest and I haven't bothered them to find out if they have an egg to sit on. There is always a hen sitting in there, so can't see. I don't have much hope that they will be able to hatch anything... But it might be a good time to put my gathered eggs in the incubator for a 2nd try at hatching. Next year, I will have cochin hens to do the hatching/brooding for me, but they are only 12 weeks old now. I am looking forward to it as I am no pro with an incubator, but attribute my former failure to infertile eggs. At the end of 28 days, all still had perfect yolks and were unspoiled when I broke them open. No smell and the dog and cats ate them! Will have to solve the problem of infertile eggs before then, though since that is the most likely problem. Right now, I am wondering how those BB hatcheries collect the sperm to artificially inseminate.... Guess I will go google that.

Well, my BBB hen does have eggs under there! Looked about 6 or 7, she got off of them because we had a hot day, I think (still on the nest, but moved off the eggs). She is back on them now... I would like to candle them, as they should be at least 2 weeks old now. But don't want to bother her... If these don't hatch/aren't fertile (or broken) maybe I can buy some poults for her to adopt? So she won't kill herself nesting... It is starting to get hot around here. Guess I'll search for a thread about that.

Back
Top Bottom