Heritage - Broad Breast crosses

This tom was also result of crossbreed with BBB
20170321_084416.jpg

very beautiful! Love the penciling on the tail! Seems to be some variation in the crosses, which would be expected, but they all seem to be quite handsome birds! I hope I can have some this year, 2 of my BBB's seem to go into breeding mode only when I show up, the other one is picking on the newcomers a little bit. I think I will pull her out and relocate her with the Royal Palm. She is probably the best of the BBB's I have, good body type and a little smarter than the other 2 seem to be, definitely the dominant hen.

20180106_103850-1.jpg
20180106_103927-1.jpg
I need to get more recent pics of these two but here they are at almost 3 months.
I hatched eggs that I got from a friend she told me that she had bbw hens in with heritage males...... I believe she had bourbon reds and I think I saw a standard bronze?? They are pushing 4 months now and bigger yet I have not weighed them so I am not sure exactly on that but when the pics were taken they felt as big as my 14 lb rooster.....

View attachment 1271746 View attachment 1271745 I need to get more recent pics of these two but here they are at almost 3 months.
I hatched eggs that I got from a friend she told me that she had bbw hens in with heritage males...... I believe she had bourbon reds and I think I saw a standard bronze?? They are pushing 4 months now and bigger yet I have not weighed them so I am not sure exactly on that but when the pics were taken they felt as big as my 14 lb rooster.....
According to Porter's Turkey Color Calculator, crossing a Bourbon Red with a White turkey will create what they refer to as a Red Bronze Color Semi- which will look very much like a Red Bronze. Of course since White can hide all kinds of other color genes there is no telling just what may turn up.

The Bourbon red/BB cross looks to have a richer more red tone than a standard bronze. Interesting to see them at maturity. Thanks for posting these pics, I love to see all the variances in color. Anyone know what usually happens with a black spanish to white? (I can't seem to make that color calculator at Porter's work, not tech savvy enough I guess). As you said, white can mask a lot of recessive genes, so let's assume they aren't there, for the purpose of the conjecture.

The Bourbon red/BB cross looks to have a richer more red tone than a standard bronze. Interesting to see them at maturity. Thanks for posting these pics, I love to see all the variances in color. Anyone know what usually happens with a black spanish to white? (I can't seem to make that color calculator at Porter's work, not tech savvy enough I guess). As you said, white can mask a lot of recessive genes, so let's assume they aren't there, for the purpose of the conjecture.
A Black turkey crossed with a White turkey (assuming no hidden color genes) will produce what they are calling a Barred Black Semi-Color which will look very much like a Barred Black or a Black Semi-Color if the white turkey is black based. To determine whether a white turkey is bronze based or black based, check its eye color. Bronze based whites have brown eyes and black based whites have blue eyes.

To use the Color Calculator, first look up the color genes for the variety that you are trying to enter. You can find this information by reading through the descriptions under the Color Varieties or looking through the Phenotypes and Genotypes page. For a Black turkey the genotype shows as BB. For a White turkey the genotype can be bb cc. b1b1 cc, or BB cc and actually any combination those such Bb cc.

To use the calculator, first uncheck the Hide Genotypes button and then change only the genotypes that are listed for the specific variety that you are working on. Leave all the other genotypes alone. After entering the new genotypes for both the male and the female, press the Calculate Cross button.

If you are having a different problem, it is said that the Color Calculator works best with Firefox.

Put the new Royal Palm in with the BB Bronze hens yesterday. He is very big for a Royal Palm, and heavy for 10 months. The BB Hens stopped picking on him in a hurry and it didn't take much! Now he is ruling the roost! I am wondering if he isn't a cross himself by weight, but the color is straight on Royal Palm, maybe semi-pencilled. The fully mature Tom they had was even bigger! I am putting the smaller black spanish Tom in with the not really too big breasted white, who is a very sweet and docile bird.

Yay! I have a turkey egg this morning! I think it most likely it is from the semi-BB white hen. She seems to be a more functional bird than the BB Bronze ladies. She is still in with the Royal Palm right now. Maybe I will leave her there for now, since she is settled and laying. Have to see what you get from that cross...

Well, eggs in the incubator, now day 12, have been hand turning them, since they all wouldn't fit in the incubator with the turner. I have 11 eggs in there, which is almost all that would reasonably fit. It is a little magicfly incubator (plan to use cochin hens to hatch in the future, but they are too young right now). If I had another 1 to 3 I could probably have gotten them in. Was trying to candle them, can see a dark, shadowed area in most of them, but not in one. The plan was to candle and discard the unviable, then use the turner for what was left, but after reading a lot of posts from a lot of people, I am thinking I will only discard if they start to smell bad. So far, none of them have done that. Hoping they hatch! I have come to realize that my BB turkeys are just not very functional birds. One became eggbound and died. Currently, one is monopolizing the nest area, but I saw her eating eggs. Don't think I will get anymore eggs this year unless I move that one out. The smaller BB white that I got this year seems to be most functional of the bunch, may be what I have left. Just wondering how the temperament is with the cross? I talked to someone who had done this once upon a time, said the tom he kept became quite mean and he wound up eating him, said he dressed out at 60 lbs! But it is the hens that I am wanting anyway.

Ok pics of my 2
20180315_172303-1.jpg
20180405_065208-1.jpg
20180303_072235.jpg
20180405_065227-1.jpg
ok some of those are a little fuzy..... she started laying at exactly 5 months. They were hatched 1st of nov and first egg was 2nd of April she has only missed 1 day since then. So 13 eggs out of 14 days is awesome, I am curious to see how long she will continue to lay.

Back
Top Bottom