Heritage & Exhibition Turkey Thread

Quote:
You might contact Frank Reese Jr. He sometime sells some of his breeders after the Thanksgiving season hatches are over. He raises 14,000 slaughter turjeys every year. He also holds a Grand Master Exhibitor in Turkeys. Not sure if he sells any poults or eggs. But one pair of good breeders would get you started. His website is in the ETF breeders directory. Link is below.

Thanks Jim,

I'll check out the ETF web site to find narragansetts.

DOes anyone know how many eggs a Narragansett hen produces each season? She's listed as a good "Mommy" so does that mean she goes broody easily? So if I pick up her eggs regularly, how many would I expect???

Arielle -
Another good source of Narragansetts would be Duane Urch (Urch/Turnlund Poultry) in Minnesota. Duane has racked up quite a few points with his Narragansetts. I don't recall if he does poults, eggs or both, but there have been some postings of his offerings. He carries a myriad of chickens, some waterfowl, turkeys and guinea fowl. I'll try to dig up the available breeds list.

Sam Brush

Postscript edit -
Arielle - you can call Urch/Turnlund at 507-451-6782. You need to call between 6 pm and 9 pm CST, which would be 1 hour ahead of you. You can inquire as to what form (poults/eggs) they would be able to send. SWB

Last edited:
Quote:
I called about Narragansetts last week, he said to call back in May, maybe he would have eggs or poults then.
sad.png

Can anyone tell me if my Royal Palm breeders are exhibition quality? I have the SOP and as far as I can tell they are pretty close. (at least he is, she is so dirty and rough right now, its hard to tell.) They are a lot better than a lot of the Royal Palms I have seen around where I live and at the swap meets. I have eggs in the bator with a 100% fertility. Two quitters so far, but they are the first eggs of the first week of the season.

82189_dscn1783.jpg

82189_dscn1786.jpg

Quote:
Maybe Sam will give you his opinion. They look nice, but finding a good Royal Palm is rare. I would suggest entering them in a show and talk to the judge afterwards. Ask the judge to be honest and accept his advise. It is understandable about her condition as you state 100% fertility. My black hen "escapes" daily to outside the turkey pasture and grazes. My hen's condidition is fairly good, as she gets away from the tom. Mine were as nice as yours. Took Best of Variety several times. Even at Shawnee this past December. Yet, Terry Britt pointed out mine did not have two bands across the tail. Few have the two bands.

So take them to an APA sanctioned show and get a judge's opinion. Good luck!

Quote:
Maybe Sam will give you his opinion. They look nice, but finding a good Royal Palm is rare. I would suggest entering them in a show and talk to the judge afterwards. Ask the judge to be honest and accept his advise. It is understandable about her condition as you state 100% fertility. My black hen "escapes" daily to outside the turkey pasture and grazes. My hen's condidition is fairly good, as she gets away from the tom. Mine were as nice as yours. Took Best of Variety several times. Even at Shawnee this past December. Yet, Terry Britt pointed out mine did not have two bands across the tail. Few have the two bands.

So take them to an APA sanctioned show and get a judge's opinion. Good luck!

Does anyone have an actual photo of RP's with 2 black bands on the tail? I have never seen any.

Back
Top Bottom