Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by juststruttin, Oct 20, 2013.

1. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    AMEN. Has anyone not seen the inane Perdue chicken Ad on TV ? "An all veggie diet" . What? Chickens are omnivores.If my birds didn't get their ration of worms, bugs, mice,and snakes a week, they'd probably go on strike.Garbage in, garbage out.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

3. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    [​IMG]

4. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Happy New Years to All! Thank you for all the help, support and conversation. I will be making a toast to Bob tonight. Hard to believe how much I miss someone I only knew on an internet forum. Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    I know that the comb/head etc is all meat but I am still a weenie. But hubby is happy that I'm not as much of a weenie as I was. I'm a nurse, I can stick my hands in all kinds of gross human body fluids, cavities, etc but animals have a special place in my heart so it's been a challenge to do some of the things we do now with butchering our own chickens. But I am determined to improve our self-reliance and being able to use all the parts of an animal is less wasteful and something I hope to be able to do at some point.

Have not used feet/shanks or combs/wattles, but I have made excellent stock with the bones and organs - my pressure canner has been getting a workout the last few months. I don't strain out all the fat and "gelatin" like today's canning recipes say to do. But the flavor can't be beat compared to the thin stuff you get in a can.

6. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    I have not bought meat at the store in over a year; (except occasionally bacon on sale) Just eating cull chickens and ducks. Sometimes if they are full of pin feathers I just skin them and cut into pieces- breast, legs, thighs, the rest goes in a bag for soup along with necks and feet. At first the thought of chicken feet was kind of gross, until I found out that the skin and toenails will slip right off after a dunk in boiling water so no worry about how dirty they are. All those parts along with leftover roasted carcasses are souped in my big soup pot. Makes really wonderful broth! Hearts and livers I usually eat for lunch or dinner on processing day. Really fresh liver, just dredged in seasoned flour and fried in butter with onions until *just* done (still a touch pink in the middle) is a far cry from the shoe leather most people serve.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Heads become dog and cat fodder here. When we're scalding and plucking, the feet and legs are soup stock...when just skinning and not doing the hot water scald thing, the legs are dog fodder. Great for his teeth and a good addition to the variety of his diet. He works to guard them, he needs the rewards. [​IMG]

Testes and pancreas go to the flock and they will wait patiently by the processing table for these goodies, as well as any livers I managed to mangle as I pulled the guts...I've found that no one likes the lungs..not even the dog. The bones get cooked down in stock and then are given to the dog. Heart, liver, gizzard, kidneys are stock and soup meat and I leave the kidneys in the back of the bird~ those are my very favorite organ meat. I always call dibs on those.

The blood is consumed by the flock and they will lick that tree and the soil until it is all consumed as much as possible...then scratch up the bugs and other critters that come to eat the blood in the soil the next several days. The skin and intestines are slowly carried off by the woods critters.

Got stock cooling on the stove as we type...tomorrow it will be canned up with the meat and my processing of chickens will be done this year. Over four dozen jars of meat and stock to keep us in soup for the winter. I don't think I can recall better tasting birds than this year.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  8. NanaKat

NanaKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Bumping this question because I think it got lost

9. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Personally I wait a month after a hens first egg. To allow time for the egg to reach a good setting size for the breed.

10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    For just plain hatching success, 52G to 70G has the best hatch rate.

For Standards? When the pullet is old enough to know her good and bad points.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by