Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by juststruttin, Oct 20, 2013.

1. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Yes! Pullet eggs have a lower hatch rate until they get to 52G for Large Fowl.

It is from one of those recent Poultry Experiments.

1 person likes this.
  3. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    inane is one of those words that just drives something home huh? LOL

Yes I think all those folks that talk about being scared their chickens would eat them alive if they slipped down in their pens those are cause their chickens are tired of vegies(soybeans) and all they can see is red meat to fulfill the other half/desires of their diets LOL

folks wonder why the meat and eggs from the store are so tasteless or too me pukified tasting? Well have they ever ate a soybean or drank a tablespoon full of veg. oil, all is relative and taste 'bout equal LOL

Jeff

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Quote: Fascinating! Thanks for sharing!
    Congrats on your brand new BYC Spirit award! [​IMG]
    Very deserving!
    Karen

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  5. MagicChicken

MagicChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    I tried to use the heads and feet once but got frustrated trying to clean them. The feet didn't peel as nicely as the you tube videos show. Maybe the water wasn't hot enough? Then I was perplexed by the head. Couldn't figure out how to skin it and plucking it would have taken all day. So I use the hearts and livers and stuff, but not the heads or feet. Would like to use the heads and feet if I could clean them quickly.

6. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    I love gizzards, livers hearts and even the feet (which to me, taste like gizzards) but I'm not too sure how I could deal with wattles and combs. I'd surely give it a try and I just might.

My mom and grandma used to even cook the 'egg sack'....I was an only child and I always got it....so good!

7. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    As a suburban child I was never exposed to anything "icky" like offal until some open-minded neighbors invited me over (with my mom's permission) to serve me chicken livers. They probably had a bet on whether I'd eat them . . .

The chicken livers, fried in butter, were delicious. Sorry, Mom.

8. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    I've had them served in restaurants and even private homes where they had just been dredged inseasoned flour and fried to a very nasty crisp.

I like to put them in a strainer, dip them in boiling water for a few minutes to get much of the cooking done....then drain, dredge and fry quickly and crisp. That way, they are done but very tender.

9. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Ummm not so sure that I'm with you guys on the whole liver thing. I had Pâté before and that's a French liver paste. Wasn't horrible but definitely not something I wanted more of.

10. s950714

s950714 New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Dear,
    The turkeyhead malines is an old, typical belgian breed obtained long ago by crossing malines with heavy game breed named "Brugse Vechter" (Brugge fighter) in dutch. The illustration you posted is one of the official colors (golden cuckoo) but that color disappeared long time ago, some peoples are trying to recreate this color as well as other official colors (white, blue, silver cuckoo, black, ...), most of them being recognized colors from the "Brugse Vechter". I'm living in Belgium and I’m one of the few passionate who are still raising this old breed. They are slow growing (18 months to reach full maturity) and roosters can reach up to 6-7 kg (12-14 lbs). Hens are also very heavy 4.5 kg (9 lbs) and give few eggs (120-150/year). Quality of the meet is Exceptional, far the best meet you'll ever eat. To my knowledge, almost all the Mechelse Kalkoenkop available in belgium are originating from 2 or 3 lines, some peoples in the netherlands might also have different lines but I'm still trying to locate them.
    If you want nice pictures, you can visit this website where you'll see the two belgian breeds I just talked about:
    https://sites.google.com/site/neerhofvantspiegel/Home
    This guy is the original owner of on the the two "lines" for the Mechelse Kalkoenkop (turkeyhead malines), to my knowledge, he doesn't sels hatching eggs.
    Do not hesitate to contact me if you want more info about this breed.
    Sincerely yours,
    Nicolas from Belgium.

3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by