Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by juststruttin, Oct 20, 2013.

1. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    (the question was about breeding from pullets) Now I am pretty new to breeding to the SOP and what not but here's my observation and from reading a LOT. Oldtimers recommended breeding from no less than hens going into their second laying year. Because their eggs are usually bigger than during their first year, but also because you should have a record of their production from the first year (this generally presumed you were trapnesting or at least keeping records by each pen of birds)

Also because at that age you will have weeded out a lot of birds over that time, those that were just not thrifty, if any got sick or egg bound or whatever....

That said I know a lot of people hatch from pullets, especially when just starting off with a breed; you want to get chicks on the ground soon as you can. I'll be hatching from pullets this spring because you never know what is going to happen to a bird. And I want more of them as quick as I can. Next year when I have hens and pullets I might wait and hatch from the pullets later.

I am waiting for the pullet eggs to get to a reasonable size tho, so the chicks aren't too small at hatch. I know they will probably catch up in a couple weeks to hen size chicks but haven't ever done a side by side comparison
  2. NanaKat

NanaKat True BYC Addict Premium Member

Thank you for your comments. That helped clarify for me. Since the Wyandotte pullets are now laying 58 - 62 gram eggs and old enough, I can continue with my breeding plans.
  3. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Pate Is a bit more than fried livers. lol Have you ever had 'rooster fries'? I love'em!!! [​IMG]

Edited: With respect to hatching pullet eggs. Just because it's can be done, is not a green flag to do it or verification that it's a really good idea. IMHO, such practices can/could set a breeding program back a few steps before you get your best foot forward.

Edit #2: I really don't give a flying firetruck what anyone justifies themselves into doing but common sense should dictate our actions in real life.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Fentress

Fentress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Chesapeake, Va.
    OOps. Could you please send me the titles too! Or just post it. Thanks. I just got a big cast iron dutch oven for Christmass, can't wait. I love cooking with iron.
  5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Yes remember how Bob would comment on using those hens (usually 2+) that still looked like they did when they were pullets something to that I like the idea of it too.(doing some this year in my NH program) Now if you are trying to get the egg production numbers up in a strain then you have to hatch them very soon as they come into lay or to say the ones that mature the earliest. OR trapnest and keep records then hatch from those later but in this day an age(social and job related) trap nesting is not/can not be done effectively as not many folks are setting there all day long right on top of the ongoings at the farm like we used to do way back in the good ol days.

6. NanaKat

Thank you. The Belgian Malines (Black Barred) have been imported to the USA as of last year. There are several breeders in Canada...I believe the line came from the Netherlands. Yes, my favorite is the Golden Cuckoo Turkey headed breed...hopefully the breeders will be able to re-create the variety.
  7. s950714

s950714 New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    You might know that the Belgian Malines was at the origin of the turkeyhead malines but that they are now considered as independant breeds, altough they are, of course, closely related.
    Concercing the golden turkeyhead malines, I will start this year to try and recreate this color, using pure turkeyhead malines hen and and golden black brugge fighter rooster. I have the idea that this will be a matter of 10 to 12 years to get pure turkeyhead again, so it's a long lasting project and we'll see if this project will survive mr fox...
    Happy breeding and happy new year
    1 person likes this.
  8. NanaKat

Thankfully, I'm "retired" to the farm/ranch and have the time to visit the pens on a regular schedule and note which hens are on the nest. That makes it easy to keep laying records.
    I also record fertility of the cocks when I candle eggs.

The pullets I will use started laying in August, completed their last molt in November and are now laying again. Their eggs are firm shelled with no porous spots and nice sized. They have maintained an adult hen weight for the past two months. While 10 months of age, I'm choosing to breed them back to their sire in order to "get more chicks on the ground" increasing my breed flock from four Columbian Wyandotte hens to eight. I will also use an 11 month old cockerel back to his dam.
    The pullets and cockerel are the result of selective culling from over 150 chicks hatched in 2013.
    1 person likes this.
  9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hummm.I agree. My grandfather was a grocer and during the Depression they always had plenty of the "nice" parts of the bird to eat.
    We were raised on the meat only plus giblet gravy ( if you wanted it). It seems to me it was a cultural thing and he was happy to
    afford his family such "extras". I hope this is coming out right because I am not disparaging anyone 's lifestyle or why/how they
    choose to chicken parts other than just meat and giblets. It just was never a part of my upbringing and now, at 62, I am too old to change.
    I do like the dark meat, tho, esp. the thigh. [​IMG] . Which is fine with Hubby Bob who likes the white meat. Then I pick the rest of the
    chicken for tidbits which we make into chicken salad or (rarely) soup. The rest gets boiled for the dogs. The "jelly" and fat solution goes into
    the freezer until just set and I scrape of most all the fat and throw it way. The "jelly" gets bagged into plastic snack-size bags and frozen.
    Gets used for dog meals to moisten their kibble.
    Looking back at what I just wrote, it must seem to some, a waste of food. Funny how the things we do regionally must seem so different
    to folk in other parts of the country. I have lived multiple times both East and West of the Mississippi. The cultures are so different in both
    places. I think that's part of what makes America great. That we can have such regional differences and still come together, bound
    together by beliefs in our Constitution and the Rights it guarantees .
    2 people like this.
  10. har

har Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009

I am not real clear on why you feel this way. I think you feel that pullet eggs should not be used for hatching. Would like to elaborate on this subject. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by