Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Hummm.I agree. My grandfather was a grocer and during the Depression they always had plenty of the "nice" parts of the bird to eat.
We were raised on the meat only plus giblet gravy ( if you wanted it). It seems to me it was a cultural thing and he was happy to
afford his family such "extras". I hope this is coming out right because I am not disparaging anyone 's lifestyle or why/how they
choose to chicken parts other than just meat and giblets. It just was never a part of my upbringing and now, at 62, I am too old to change.
I do like the dark meat, tho, esp. the thigh.
droolin.gif
. Which is fine with Hubby Bob who likes the white meat. The I pick the rest of the
chicken for tidbits which we make into chicken salad or soup. The rest gets boiled for the dogs. The "jelly and fat solution goes into
the freezer until just set and I scrape of most all the fat and throw it way. The "jelly" gets bagged into plastic snack-size bags and frozen.
Gets used for dog meals to moisten their kibble.
Looking back at what I just wrote, it must seem to some a waste of food. Funny how the things we do regionally must seem so different
to folk in other parts of the country. I have lived multiple times both East and West of the Mississippi. The cultures are so different in both
places. I think that's part of what makes America great. That we can have such regional differences and still come together, bound
together by beliefs in our Constitution and the Rights it guarantees .
Best,
Karen
thumbsup.gif
on your lst sentence. The only things I see that might be a 'waste' Is the fat which can be used to make a delicious 'confit' and the bones, when fed raw or cooked under pressure can be excellent dog food!!! lol

Quote: I don't know what a confit is.
hmm.png
My pressure cooker isn't working right now. I did that once,
but it was a lot more work than just giving them the jelly. And I wasn't sure how much nutrition
would be left if I froze the pressure-cooked slurry.
Best,
Karen

I am not real clear on why you feel this way. I think you feel that pullet eggs should not be used for hatching. Would like to elaborate on this subject. Thanks

Scott
Ok...I'll take a stab at it but I'm doubtful many will be convinced. I want my birds to produce well over a period of at least four years. The only practical way to see and select for such production is to chose eggs from somewhat mature hens (and cocks from such hens) that have proven 'track records'.

Many pullets will lay like gangbusters for a period of time and drop off the chart, never to really regain the production levels that make them viable (to me) to be used as reproduction models.

That's simplistic because I feel this will all fall upon deaf ears, for the most part.

~~I have one son serving in the U.S. Marines and he has reached the relative safety of an American base in Germany.
Hi Hellbender,
I am so happy for you. One of my best days was when my older son greeted me in the airport in Pittsburgh coming home from Afghanistan.
( younger son in USCG, WA state) I have been watching your posts ,waiting for updates. So glad he is back in the EU. Please tell me he is coming back whole.
What a relief for you and yours. How big is that banner gonna be across the front of your house when he drives up the driveway? VBG.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Dear,
The turkeyhead malines is an old, typical belgian breed obtained long ago by crossing malines with heavy game breed named "Brugse Vechter" (Brugge fighter) in dutch. The illustration you posted is one of the official colors (golden cuckoo) but that color disappeared long time ago, some peoples are trying to recreate this color as well as other official colors (white, blue, silver cuckoo, black, ...), most of them being recognized colors from the "Brugse Vechter". I'm living in Belgium and I’m one of the few passionate who are still raising this old breed. They are slow growing (18 months to reach full maturity) and roosters can reach up to 6-7 kg (12-14 lbs). Hens are also very heavy 4.5 kg (9 lbs) and give few eggs (120-150/year). Quality of the meet is Exceptional, far the best meet you'll ever eat. To my knowledge, almost all the Mechelse Kalkoenkop available in belgium are originating from 2 or 3 lines, some peoples in the netherlands might also have different lines but I'm still trying to locate them.
If you want nice pictures, you can visit this website where you'll see the two belgian breeds I just talked about:
https://sites.google.com/site/neerhofvantspiegel/Home
This guy is the original owner of on the the two "lines" for the Mechelse Kalkoenkop (turkeyhead malines), to my knowledge, he doesn't sels hatching eggs.
Do not hesitate to contact me if you want more info about this breed.
Sincerely yours,
Nicolas from Belgium.

Good Day Nicolas,
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you so much for this info on turkeyhead malines. They sound fascinating. I am going to that URL now and take a look at them.
Happy New Year!
Karen and the Light Sussex in western PA, USA

Ok...I'll take a stab at it but I'm doubtful many will be convinced. I want my birds to produce well over a period of at least four years. The only practical way to see and select for such production is to chose eggs from somewhat mature hens (and cocks from such hens) that have proven 'track records'.

Many pullets will lay like gangbusters for a period of time and drop off the chart, never to really regain the production levels that make them viable (to me) to be used as reproduction models.

That's simplistic because I feel this will all fall upon deaf ears, for the most part.

.I think you are wrong about the deaf ears. From what you said and what Jeff/Bob said makes sense to me. I have a friend that raises Blk/Blu and splash NN and he just loves them. The birds he has are very large birds. Thanks for the reply.

Scott

Actually, it makes a lot of sense. There was a lot of discussion on this in the old days (1900 thru 1925).
Most felt like you do, for the same reasons. Some felt that breeding from pullets could be beneficial only
under certain circumstances and with a definite breeding plan in mind. They felt if onenwas breeding from
pullets, it should be with much forethought and a formal plan.
In my case, I bred from pullets and cockerels in 2012 ( 1/2 bro to 1/2 sis) and got 2 cockerels and one
pullet out of 21 chicks that work for my program.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

I hope people listen to this because it's a good point.

Can anyone think of a way to ID an egg layer beside painting their rear?
If I did that, I would have rainbow layers because the birds nest on the floor instead of perches.
I don't have a trap nest and Mamma hen is brooding (nothing) in the one nest. One of the pullets is
laying on the floor of the coop and want to find out which one it is. Silly girl. I made a nest for her
in the corner of the coop, but she still lays on the same spot on the floor?!?
Thanks,
Karen

Last edited:
Karen do you have a keipper or something you could put one in for day?? I use an old collapsible dog playpen with a tarp clipped around the bottom!!! Its in my basement for qurantine/new birds!!!

Back
Top Bottom