Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by juststruttin, Oct 20, 2013.

1. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    [​IMG] on your lst sentence. The only things I see that might be a 'waste' Is the fat which can be used to make a delicious 'confit' and the bones, when fed raw or cooked under pressure can be excellent dog food!!! lol

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Quote: I don't know what a confit is. [​IMG] My pressure cooker isn't working right now. I did that once,
    but it was a lot more work than just giving them the jelly. And I wasn't sure how much nutrition
    would be left if I froze the pressure-cooked slurry.
    Best,
    Karen

3. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Ok...I'll take a stab at it but I'm doubtful many will be convinced. I want my birds to produce well over a period of at least four years. The only practical way to see and select for such production is to chose eggs from somewhat mature hens (and cocks from such hens) that have proven 'track records'.

Many pullets will lay like gangbusters for a period of time and drop off the chart, never to really regain the production levels that make them viable (to me) to be used as reproduction models.

That's simplistic because I feel this will all fall upon deaf ears, for the most part.

4 people like this.
  4. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi Hellbender,
    I am so happy for you. One of my best days was when my older son greeted me in the airport in Pittsburgh coming home from Afghanistan.
    ( younger son in USCG, WA state) I have been watching your posts ,waiting for updates. So glad he is back in the EU. Please tell me he is coming back whole.
    What a relief for you and yours. How big is that banner gonna be across the front of your house when he drives up the driveway? VBG.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  5. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Good Day Nicolas, [​IMG]
    Thank you so much for this info on turkeyhead malines. They sound fascinating. I am going to that URL now and take a look at them.
    Happy New Year!
    Karen and the Light Sussex in western PA, USA

6. har

har Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Rogers,Ar
    .I think you are wrong about the deaf ears. From what you said and what Jeff/Bob said makes sense to me. I have a friend that raises Blk/Blu and splash NN and he just loves them. The birds he has are very large birds. Thanks for the reply.

Scott

1 person likes this.
  7. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Actually, it makes a lot of sense. There was a lot of discussion on this in the old days (1900 thru 1925).
    Most felt like you do, for the same reasons. Some felt that breeding from pullets could be beneficial only
    under certain circumstances and with a definite breeding plan in mind. They felt if onenwas breeding from
    pullets, it should be with much forethought and a formal plan.
    In my case, I bred from pullets and cockerels in 2012 ( 1/2 bro to 1/2 sis) and got 2 cockerels and one
    pullet out of 21 chicks that work for my program.
    Best,
    Karen

8. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    I hope people listen to this because it's a good point.

9. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Can anyone think of a way to ID an egg layer beside painting their rear?
    If I did that, I would have rainbow layers because the birds nest on the floor instead of perches.
    I don't have a trap nest and Mamma hen is brooding (nothing) in the one nest. One of the pullets is
    laying on the floor of the coop and want to find out which one it is. Silly girl. I made a nest for her
    in the corner of the coop, but she still lays on the same spot on the floor?!?
    Thanks,
    Karen

10. Apdeb

Apdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2013
    Woodbridge Ct
    Karen do you have a keipper or something you could put one in for day?? I use an old collapsible dog playpen with a tarp clipped around the bottom!!! Its in my basement for qurantine/new birds!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by