Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I gave up trying to break broodies. They are quite determined most of the time and they just lose too much to let it go on. I give them a couple eggs to hatch... it's over in 3 weeks and they'll start taking care of themselves again. Of course they don't generally start laying again for another 6 weeks but the next year, if I count on her going broody, I can collect her own eggs for her to hatch. That way at least if she's one of my better birds, her genes aren't lost with her being broody during the time I'm collecting for hatching. If the chicks she hatches out turn out to be all males or just generally not what I want to keep, I just raise them up to butchering age.

If they'll stay broody even if I move them, she can be put somewhere that the other hens cannot see to follow her example and they'll keep doing what they're supposed to do.

Yes I have a small area"just for broodies" - if they stay broody when I move them then that's fine, if not they go back with the flock. But I never leave a broody with the flock because I want to know for sure whose eggs she is sitting on and for how long, I don't want her taking up box space, and I don't have to move her then when she hatches.

Hey y'all don't know if any lurkers are looking for Jersey Giants but just found out the PNPA is going to be auctioning off Blue Jersey Giant hatching eggs from Shawna Smith to benefit their youth program. She's the one that just won best of breed and Reserve Champion American Class at the Pacific Poultry Breeders Association show in Stockton in Jan. https://www.facebook.com/groups/pacificnwpoultryassociation/ is the link to the PNPA group page. What an awesome idea and a good opportunity!

Ordinarily I wouldn't mention it but anything that helps out the youth, and especially since this involves heritage breeds, I thought it should be brought to y'alls attention.

Hey y'all don't know if any lurkers are looking for Jersey Giants but just found out the PNPA is going to be auctioning off Blue Jersey Giant hatching eggs from Shawna Smith to benefit their youth program. She's the one that just won best of breed and Reserve Champion American Class at the Pacific Poultry Breeders Association show in Stockton in Jan. https://www.facebook.com/groups/pacificnwpoultryassociation/ is the link to the PNPA group page. What an awesome idea and a good opportunity!

Ordinarily I wouldn't mention it but anything that helps out the youth, and especially since this involves heritage breeds, I thought it should be brought to y'alls attention.
That bird in the picture has real nice color.

Hey y'all don't know if any lurkers are looking for Jersey Giants but just found out the PNPA is going to be auctioning off Blue Jersey Giant hatching eggs from Shawna Smith to benefit their youth program. https://www.facebook.com/groups/pacificnwpoultryassociation/ is the link to the PNPA group page. What an awesome idea and a good opportunity!
wow, they are at 155. with 11 minutes to go. But to bid ya gotta join the Club then bid in 10 minutes. I hope they have PayPal for folks!

Marcy, I got 16 pullets from Kathy hatched the first week of April 2012. I kept 6 of them. One went broody at one year old, was a great mother and I still have her. My neighbor who has the other 10 didn't have any broody ones. I have 4 pullets from 2013, none have gone broody yet, but spring is taking her time arriving here in Illinois, so time will tell.
I haven't been out to take many pictures this year but here is one of the original hens (2 years old in this pic) I got from Kathy. She was the first to lay from the group. I think she still has good overall color at 2 years old. Always has lacked enough black in her hackle.

Here is a partial of the hen that was broody last year. She, too, lacks enough black in her hackle.

Back
Top Bottom