Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Looks like I will need to find some birds for an outcross sooner than I had planned. Today a couple of dogs got into my yard while I was out, and massacred several of my birds. In two days my flock has been culled of the worst - and the best. In equal numbers. This wasn't the version of "middle of the road" I had in mind
hmm.png

The only cock remaining is the one who threw a lot of knock-kneed cockerels. On the up side, most of the hens survived. They may not be show-worthy but they lay eggs and they were smart enough to escape into the neighbor's yard to get away from the dogs. Amid all the chaos, one of them decided to go broody. These are all worthwhile traits for a backyard dual-purpose chicken. I just want them to look a little more like the pictures in the Standard.

The dogs took all of my most-promising birds from this year's hatch. I'm keeping an eye out for a good trio of Black Javas in late summer or fall. Time to mix things up a bit.

Sarah

Sorry to hear this! Wish our Blacks were better typed so I could send you some.

Looks like I will need to find some birds for an outcross sooner than I had planned. Today a couple of dogs got into my yard while I was out, and massacred several of my birds. In two days my flock has been culled of the worst - and the best. In equal numbers. This wasn't the version of "middle of the road" I had in mind
hmm.png

The only cock remaining is the one who threw a lot of knock-kneed cockerels. On the up side, most of the hens survived. They may not be show-worthy but they lay eggs and they were smart enough to escape into the neighbor's yard to get away from the dogs. Amid all the chaos, one of them decided to go broody. These are all worthwhile traits for a backyard dual-purpose chicken. I just want them to look a little more like the pictures in the Standard.

The dogs took all of my most-promising birds from this year's hatch. I'm keeping an eye out for a good trio of Black Javas in late summer or fall. Time to mix things up a bit.

Sarah

Goodness. I hate to hear that. I follow how you are coming along with them.

Do you know who they belong to? I would have to figure the dog situation out. Haven't they given you trouble before? I would certainly not be able to let it go. Buy some electric fence wire to. The stuff is pretty cheap.

I hope that the bad turns into good, and you can take advantage of the problem. Good luck.

Quote:
Thank you. Some of the remaining pullets are ok - better than their parents were at this age. There may be hope.

My neighbor had never seen these particular dogs before. They are not the same dogs as last time. They found a new way into my yard. We don't know who they belong to.

It is very difficult to keep fencing intact here - every time we get a big storm I get several inches of water sluicing across most of the property. It has undercut every fence I've put up. I patch the spots as I find them, but dogs are creative about finding ways in. Can you use an electric fence in an area that floods regularly? I would think it would short out.

The good part is I now have an excuse to pick up some of the birds I would have started with originally if I had known who the breeder was. Saw this breeder's Black Javas at a show (where the trio took Reserve Champion American). Fell in love with the breed. I didn't know whose birds they were and wound up ordering Black Java chicks from Duane Urch before I found out who had the local birds. Looks like the universe is conspiring to make sure I get some of those local birds anyway. The breeder is going to save me a trio in the fall. If I can figure out the housing logistics I will keep the lines separate for a year or two. Then I'll look at blending the lines if necessary. Or pick the best line and go with it.

It's all good.

Sarah

It is really nice to know I am not the only one experiencing problems this hatching season. I've been wondering for weeks what I am doing wrong. I will just hatch what I can and hope things can get on track next year.
That's where I am. Hatching what I can and hoping the right birds fall out of the tree.
Cheerio! That was a long kick, now I gotta hurry up and catch up with the can,
Karen

hmm.png

Sarah
Oh No! I am so sorry to hear this! Are any of your hens still fertile by the dead cocks?
They can be for about 2 weeks. Maybe that's a way to get some more males in the flock?
Best,
Karen

It's kind of comforting to know I'm not the only one with hatching problems. I've been getting lots of clears and the laying has been sketchy to say the least. On the bright side the two buffs( these ones are pure buff. The other four I have are from a light buff cross. ) who haven't layed all year popped out an egg the day before last. I really want to get some chicks from them to help combat the white that's going to present itself in my buff males from the crossed females for the next however many years. Cull, cull, cull, and cull some more.

I have had hatching issues also this year. I am getting 95% to 100% development and then around day 18 to 21 they die in shell. The first one or two from the group will get out fine. The third doesn't fully absorb yolk, and either dies or has to be culled. The rest don't even pip.

I'm not sure what to make of it. Ron, I have just ordered two of the thermometers you recommended to check my Genesis. I had to replace it a couple of months ago. My first hatches of the year went great. I am now wondering if the thermostat/temperature control on the replacement top is off.

It sounds like a humidity problem. Hum. Maybe pick up that new hygrometer
ya'll were discussing. I have one I use. A great help!
Best,
Karen

I think mine is more of an excess humidity problem. It has been 70% to 80% humidity for months. I don't have central air so no way to remove more humidity unless I ran a dehumidifier which won't work with the windows open. LOL Just in case it is a nutrition issue, I am going to pick up some calf manna because I ran out this winter.

The odd part is that my ducks aren't hatching either. I have had 100% reported development and 75% hatch rate on shipped duck eggs and zero hatch at home. I would think if it was humidity too high the ducks would still hatch, but I am new to them this year, so not sure.

Back
Top Bottom