Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I don't post here much now, but when I saw that you are going to a show and after I picked myself up off the floor, I want to say "good luck " and let you know you will enjoy it and possibly learn a few things. Welcome to the dark side Bee. Walt

lol.png
Hey, Walt!
frow.gif
Long time, no see. Anything I should do at the show in particularly except hang around and listen~ creepily~ to the real breeders?
big_smile.png
Fred already told me how to wash and primp the birds.....that's going to be a funny thing to see, me washing birds. Fred said this would be good for me, so I'm goin'.

Hope you didn't hurt yerself when you fell, Walt....
lol.png

You will love it! All the hard work is over once they are washed. I would suggest making extra sure they are warm while they dry so they don't get chilled. I like to put them in wire cages with a forced air heater until they are dry. The fun of shows is the fellowship.

You will love it! All the hard work is over once they are washed. I would suggest making extra sure they are warm while they dry so they don't get chilled. I like to put them in wire cages with a forced air heater until they are dry. The fun of shows is the fellowship.

I hope for that! No one around here really cares about chickens except for the eggs I pass out, so no one really to talk to about the birds. I had planned on bringing them in after the wash but I could run an extension and put a heater on them out in the shed just as well.

My biggest problem is that all my enclosed coop/pens have soil floors, so as soon as I wash and dry them, I can just see them going straight to the floor to dust. I'm going to have to wash them the night before and keep them caged...I know that's not ideal but I don't know how else to keep them clean for the show, them being such white birds.

:lol:   Hey, Walt!  :frow   Long time, no see.  Anything I should do at the show in particularly except hang around and listen~ creepily~ to the real breeders?  :D    Fred already told me how to wash and primp the birds.....that's going to be a funny thing to see, me washing birds.   Fred said this would be good for me, so I'm goin'. 

Hope you didn't hurt yerself when you fell, Walt....  :lol:
Just go and enjoy yourself. Talk to some real breeders. You will see some things you have never seen. I'm very impressed that you are trying it. Good for you!

Walt

Bee, it will be an enjoyable experience. You will appreciate being around and getting to know true poultry breeders. It will be another step in your development as a breeder. You have outgrown the typical stuff here.
I am fortunate enough to enjoy the company of a couple true poultry breeders in my area. Sometimes we have to go where they are.

It does not hurt to cage train the birds. It takes no real effort to fashion a few small cages for this purpose.

I'm looking forward to it, though not looking forward to the washing of the birds.
big_smile.png
Who knows...they may really like it!

Unfortunately this show hits me right in the middle of breeding and my best are going to be in the breeding pen, so I may have to take my top pick out of the breeding pen for this show. I've not kept the cockerel off their backs like I should have anyway, so it's likely he won't be doing any more or less damage to the feathers there but I sure wish they could arrange those shows a little further past this time of year...maybe April. April is good.

I don't know if those breeder guys will even talk to a woman, so it might be that I don't get to socialize with real breeders at all....maybe if they see me coming every year they might start to converse with me, don't know.
hu.gif

I'm looking forward to it, though not looking forward to the washing of the birds.
big_smile.png

Unfortunately this show hits me right in the middle of breeding and my best are going to be in the breeding pen, so I may have to take my top pick out of the breeding pen for this show. I've not kept the cockerel off their backs like I should have anyway, so it's likely he won't be doing any more or less damage to the feathers there but I sure wish they could arrange those shows a little further past this time of year...maybe April. April is good.

I don't know if those breeder guys will even talk to a woman, so it might be that I don't get to socialize with real breeders at all....maybe if they see me coming every year they might start to converse with me, don't know.
hu.gif

I strongly suspect some of those 'breeder guys' are women.

We'll see!
big_smile.png
That would be really cool to have other women there. Seems like I'm always the odd woman out, as I like to do a lot of men type activities and always have. Church has a wood ministry and I'm out working a splitter, while the other ladies are in the kitchen. I LOVE splitting wood with a splitter...but chattering with women about other people? Not so much.

big_smile.png

hu.gif

You will have fun.

Back
Top Bottom