Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

They may not fit the description above, but I would love to help you get started in these beauties...... just sayin'..........

Oh that is so sweet of you, thank you. But the problem is the single combs. The weather here in western PA has changed in the last few year. We are having polar vortexes in Jan. Up to 8 below without wind-chill factor. It only lasts about a week. But it's enough to frostbite the single combs. Then I have to wait for the combs to heal before starting my breeding season. The last 2 years it has pushed my breeding season up to May, June (and in one case), July. That is way too late to breed birds which grow larger. And esp., good winter layers which should hatch ( ideally) in March and no later than April. It's been hard to watch the Sussex grow out smaller when I know they have the large size genes in them.
So I need a breed which has a smaller comb and wattles, or a cold hardy breed which can withstand the change from a planting zone 5-8 to a Zone 3 ( Minneapolis) in Jan. ( we are replacing our orchard with Zone 3 trees). Northern Spy, KinderCrisp, Rome.
We are also moving from the traditional coop to the Woods Open Air Coop. I am reading Dr. Wood's book and talking to a lot of others who live in very cold climes and tout its success in helping poultry handle bitter winters. The physics of the air flow in a correctly dimensioned Woods Coop is extremely interesting. Dr. Prince Woods was some kind of genius. There is an excellent discussion on the Building Coops forum of a gentleman who built a Woods out of recycled pallets. It's just lovely. I am glad Hubby Bob is a woodworker because Woods "air cushion" physics doesn't work unless the dimensions are correct as he illustrates in his book.
I have been doing a lot of research and reading and do believe those who say the sun is going to go into a cycle of hibernation for the next several decades. This will result in cooler temperatures. ( not a world wide "winter" or ice age). Several years ago,a meteorologist was on a morning TV news program. It was right after the 1st polar vortex hit PA that Jan. I don't remember the older man's name but he was introduced as "the most eminent meteorologist in the US". He said on the show that he believed the polar vortexes would be a 10 year trend. The next morning I went online to print out his discussion as I wanted to save it. Despite in depth research, it had been completely removed from the Net. Hum. And we have continued to see them every Jan. since.
So I am going to change the way I do things. Orchard, birds, set-up, plants to not have to deal with the harsher winters. Interestingly, the Fiji apple tree is loving this polar weather. We got small apples from it in warmer winters. When the vortexes hit, it has exploded in nice, large apples each year. I guess it just needed the colder weather? Hum.
Western PA is right in the middle of the "fairway" when a polar vortex hits. It's actually a winter "Alberta Clipper" on steroids.
An Alberta Clipper as we call them is a path of cold air in which the artic air stream suddenly and swiftly dips down thru Alberta to the bottom of western Pa and the very abruptly makes a "V" turn and sails right back up thru western and middle PA into far western New York and back up north. Accompanied by rain or snow. Where I live in Ligonier, we catch the weather from both the down and updraft of a Clipper but only the downdraft of a polar vortex, the updraft is east of us.
In a polar vortex, the same thing happens in the coldest winter. But the air keeps pushing south as far as Mississippi before it makes its abrupt "V" turn and head back north again over eastern PA and back to the Artic flow. In either case, western PA gets hit hard with turbulent and extreme weather because it is near the top of the US where the Clippers start downward.
So I need a dual purpose breed in a simple color with small combs and wattles , able to handle serve cold but also the higher humidity we are seeing in our hot summers. The poultry yard is mostly shaded. That's a help and I have water and electricity out to it. I wish my Sussex had rose or cushion combs, sigh. If Farmer Karl breeds them like I think he will, in a couple of years he will win with that gene pool at Columbus. They were that close to being ready.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
I have the best of his old stock of Chanteclers 9 hens, 3 cocks, and will be getting some cockerels from the recently acquired batch. If your interest is still holding in the spring, I can meet you part way with a couple trios AND....a trio of Florida Whites as well.

Just let me know by fall if you can. I'm putting up breeding pens later on this late Summer/Fall. Don't want to mess in the mud and chicken poooop during our generally WET Springs!!!

I have the best of his old stock of Chanteclers 9 hens, 3 cocks, and will be getting some cockerels from the recently acquired batch. If your interest is still holding in the spring, I can meet you part way with a couple trios AND....a trio of Florida Whites as well.

Just let me know by fall if you can. I'm putting up breeding pens later on this late Summer/Fall. Don't want to mess in the mud and chicken poooop during our generally WET Springs!!!
Will let you know by Fall, Turk. Thanks so much for your offer.
Best,
Karen

Will let you know by Fall, Turk. Thanks so much for your offer.
Best,
Karen

I'm not interested in shipping eggs because of all the problems, usually caused by USPS.
we live just outside of Lexington Ky. and It would be an easy, even pleasant drive to meet you about half way or even closer...The price will be exactly what dad offered them for and letting them get a little age on them would be no problem.

I'm not interested in shipping eggs because of all the problems, usually caused by USPS.
we live just outside of Lexington Ky. and It would be an easy, even pleasant drive to meet you about half way or even closer...The price will be exactly what dad offered them for and letting them get a little age on them would be no problem.
Hi Turk,
I am not interested in eggs either because you are right about USPS. What time period ( month) did you have in mind? I am thinking about my work schedule as I think it might be overnight trip for us? Never been down that way before and not sure how long it will take. I think letting them get a little age on them is a good idea too.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Hi Turk,
I am not interested in eggs either because you are right about USPS. What time period ( month) did you have in mind? I am thinking about my work schedule as I think it might be overnight trip for us? Never been down that way before and not sure how long it will take. I think letting them get a little age on them is a good idea too.
Best,
Karen

I have no time frame set in stone. I don't care if the birds are 6 or 8 months old when you get them I'll be setting at least three batches in the spring and as for the drive, it's not as far as you think. We can bring them to West Virginia, keep them in a newly cleaned sterilized isolation pen for a day or two, then bring them all the way to your door. We can do that in honor of dad. I know he wanted you to have them.

I have no time frame set in stone. I don't care if the birds are 6 or 8 months old when you get them I'll be setting at least three batches in the spring and as for the drive, it's not as far as you think. We can bring them to West Virginia, keep them in a newly cleaned sterilized isolation pen for a day or two, then bring them all the way to your door. We can do that in honor of dad. I know he wanted you to have them.
I have always struggled with eggs and chicks. My best success was with the Sussex which I got as well started birds. I agree with you on that. Sometime the middle of next year then? Have I got it right?
Thank you Turk. I really mean that.
Best,
Karen

I have always struggled with eggs and chicks. My best success was with the Sussex which I got as well started birds. I agree with you on that. Sometime the middle of next year then? Have I got it right?
Thank you Turk. I really mean that.
Best,
Karen
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Oh, NO! I was thinking about Hellbender the other day. So sorry to hear he is gone. You might want to wait a while before you decide to give up on the Chanteclers. You could surprise yourself with what you can accomplish on your own. You won't know until you try.

Edited to add I should have read the rest of the posts before replying. Glad Turk showed up. Keep on raising those chickens! @Turk Raphael - sorry about your dad. I didn't know him in person but I loved his posts. I'm glad you have his chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom