Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Neil sent me one of his photos, if only that darned bird would have stood with both feet together! LOL...

Not a big deal winning BB and RB with only six in the class, but the judge had some kind words for me afterwards about the bird, which I thought was very nice.

Neil sent me one of his photos, if only that darned bird would have stood with both feet together! LOL...

Not a big deal winning BB and RB with only six in the class, but the judge had some kind words for me afterwards about the bird, which I thought was very nice.

Neil is a wizard with poultry photos. I'm not a bantam guy but will be buying the centennial standard he's doing the photos for just for the superb photography.

Nice bird too, like seeing good examples of real chickens!

I'm pretty sure the girls are Productions. What is he? Also production? Or What characteristics does he have from New Hampshire? That is what the original owner was told his mother was.... but the father was almost black....

She also has 'buckeye' hens and a blocky shaped deep colored roos similar to him.

He is actually broader across back than my poor photo shows. This is his introduction to the girls. The broader of which the hawk killed.

I'm pretty sure the girls are Productions. What is he? Also production? Or What characteristics does he have from New Hampshire? That is what the original owner was told his mother was.... but the father was almost black....

She also has 'buckeye' hens and a blocky shaped deep colored roos similar to him.

He is actually broader across back than my poor photo shows. This is his introduction to the girls. The broader of which the hawk killed.

He's a utility bird. The blend of his breeding isn't all that important. For sure, he is neither a true bred Rhode Island Red, Buckeye or a true bred New Hampshire. Since the females are also production or utility birds it doesn't matter much. If the females lay eggs and he is tolerable, it's all good.

He's a utility bird.  The blend of his breeding isn't all that important.  For sure, he is neither a true bred Rhode Island Red, Buckeye or a true bred New Hampshire.    Since the females are also production or utility birds it doesn't matter much.  If the females lay eggs and he is tolerable, it's all good.  

Ok Fred bare with me here: does utility simply mean a mutt? Or production?

question two was just doing some reading and found a statement that RIR and Barred rock are "delayed feathering as chicks" which it says means the females are a little faster than the males at feathering in. Have you paid attention to notice if this is a factual statement?

Now that I can not contact Bob to ask about Heritage and such info I assume you can help here. And you are closer and still alive to ask. Should have not waited to pick his brain until I get them.

Looking forward to Wednesdays meeting. AND to next springs additions.

Ok Fred bare with me here: does utility simply mean a mutt? Or production?

question two was just doing some reading and found a statement that RIR and Barred rock are "delayed feathering as chicks" which it says means the females are a little faster than the males at feathering in. Have you paid attention to notice if this is a factual statement?

Now that I can not contact Bob to ask about Heritage and such info I assume you can help here. And you are closer and still alive to ask. Should have not waited to pick his brain until I get them.

Looking forward to Wednesdays meeting. AND to next springs additions.

Yes, the females typically feather out quicker than the males and often have longer tail feathers at 3-4 weeks. The Barred Rocks are dead easy to sex as they have different genes for the barring. Females have a single barring gene while the cockerels have a double set. This produces a different look, noticeable very quickly. I can sex them almost as soon as the fuzz dries in the incubator. LOL Once you've seen a few hundred of these chicks, your eyes dial it in.

In both the Reds and the Rocks the males will sprout combs and wattles at 6-8 weeks. That is the dead give-a-way in sexing single comb breeds. The Reds also have a feature that is reasonably accurate with some strains. At a week to two weeks, the males will have a white wing patch while the females wing patch is more buff in color.

Again, the combs and wattles at 7 weeks is the thing. If you haven't figured them out using the other methods, you'll sex them then.

Cockerels of both Reds and Rocks also have a different head that your eye dials in. Even as little chicks, you also grow to notice how the cockerels will lift their head, look at you and are simply more alert and watchful. This will be their future role in flock life and it shows at an amazingly young age, once you get so you can "see" it.

Last edited:
[COLOR=333333]Neil sent me one of his photos, if only that darned bird would have stood with both feet together! LOL... Not a big deal winning BB and RB with only six in the class, but the judge had some kind words for me afterwards about the bird, which I thought was very nice. [/COLOR]
Laura, I don't have a trained eye for Buckeyes but that bird looks like an excellent example of the breed. Very nice bird... Matt

Back
Top Bottom