Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I'm surprised she didn't go further. Is she missing a tail feather?

I think I hatched them too soon. SHe was ready in early August. The photo is from prior and the tail wasn't ready yet, but now she's looking a little past and doesn't have the finish that some of the others had.
BOston Poultry is in a few weeks, Joseph are you going??? ANyone else??
I am. I'll be clerking.

I'll be there, shopping not showing. Still looking for a few more bantam RIR's to add to mine. Couldn't find any at Little Rhody.

If you want Red bantams in NE you just go right to the breeders. SC or RC? Will you be at Boston?

Neil sent me one of his photos, if only that darned bird would have stood with both feet together! LOL...

Not a big deal winning BB and RB with only six in the class, but the judge had some kind words for me afterwards about the bird, which I thought was very nice.

Sweet! I will hopefully have the pleasure fo going over some of your birds with a gentleman who got them from you earlier this season. His name escapes me at the moment, but he needs support in learning how to select. It will be fun!

Joe, YHF, send that great piece you wrote.
Karen

Hmmm....which posting are you referring to?

Laura, I don't have a trained eye for Buckeyes but that bird looks like an excellent example of the breed. Very nice bird...

Matt

Agreed!

Last edited:
... The Reds also have a feature that is reasonably accurate with some strains. At a week to two weeks, the males will have a white wing patch while the females wing patch is more buff in color.
This have proven very accurate in my RC RIR...

Last edited:
Sweet! I will hopefully have the pleasure of going over some of your birds with a gentleman who got them from you earlier this season. His name escapes me at the moment, but he needs support in learning how to select. It will be fun!
Thanks Joseph.

I will be happy to critique my birds for folks, being able to do it with a live bird makes it much more effective. I can give tips about how to set up breeding pens in order to optimize the results, and discuss what works well together and what doesn't, in my experience.

What I won't do, however (just for the record) is critique others' birds without their permission, either in public online or in person. I find that to be poor sportsmanship, and unfair to the person whose birds they are, especially if they are unable to respond. I am happy to point out the good parts of someone else's birds, but won't discuss anything negative about them without their permission. I was taught that one doesn't raise oneself up by dragging someone else down.

But happy to help anyone, customer or not, learn more about the breed, as far as I am able. I look forward to meeting you!

smile.png

Yes, the females typically feather out quicker than the males and often have longer tail feathers at 3-4 weeks.  The Barred Rocks are dead easy to sex as they have different genes for the barring.  Females have a single barring gene while the cockerels have a double set.  This produces a different look, noticeable very quickly.  I can sex them almost as soon as the fuzz dries in the incubator.  LOL  Once you've seen a few hundred of these chicks, your eyes dial it in.  

In both the Reds and the Rocks the males will sprout combs and wattles at 6-8 weeks.  That is the dead give-a-way in sexing single comb breeds.   The Reds also have a feature that is reasonably accurate with some strains.  At a week to two weeks, the males will have a white wing patch while the females wing patch is more buff in color.

Again, the combs and wattles at 7 weeks is the thing.  If you haven't figured them out using the other methods, you'll sex them then.  

Cockerels of both Reds and Rocks also have a different head that your eye dials in.  Even as little chicks, you also grow to notice how the cockerels will lift their head, look at you and are simply more alert and watchful.  This will be their future role in flock life and it shows at an amazingly young age, once you get so you can "see" it.

Thankyou for the confirmation of what I read. Though your explanation was more detailed and actually easier to understand. Much appreciated my new friend.

I am so excited about being able to raise the real thing this spring. That WAS my first intended timing. Was supposed to build my coop and learn THIS year and get the chickens next year. But.... a friend was moving last FEB out of state and gave me her chickens which she was told were RIR. They weren't so at least I got to learn with the utility chickens and not expensive ones.

I see no reason why one can't have chickens for eggs and meat but do it with the real deal breeds. No reason why I can't promote the raising and breeding of heritage and eat a few eggs. Imperfect ones become Utility birds for eggs to eat while breeding the more perfect ones to promote the breed!

Now I understand I will be the small scale person but IMO every little bit helps. Who knows maybe a person could promote in this area enough to educate folks at the very least and expand enough to not need the food stamps. I am all for doing things natural and without chemicals that weaken both stock and humans that consume the by product. Thus I purchase organic food seeds/plants with the food stamps and grow my food without purchasing chemical filled commercial food as much as I can.

Hence I chose the Woods open air type coop to build and recycled windows, doors etc from house. I make fermented feed grains using home made apple cider vinegar from my trees. Free range and even harvest from grains etc I see them ranging on to put in the feed mix. Plots planted for them too.

So am excited for this endeavor to take the chicken keeping to more of a pure breed and way of doing things. Fresh air, good food, healthy chickens and health of myself.

Oh and question for Fred as I think he is closest to me..... are there any shows or places near Gaylord, Atlanta, Alpena, Lewiston where true breed breeders gather to show chickens?

I am thinking if I can go to something close maybe I can learn by talking to a true breeder displaying their wares. I for sure need a mentor in this.... at least a mentor would make things easier. I am a hands on learner. LOL

Oh and question for Fred as I think he is closest to me..... are there any shows or places near Gaylord, Atlanta, Alpena, Lewiston where true breed breeders gather to show chickens?

I am thinking if I can go to something close maybe I can learn by talking to a true breeder displaying their wares. I for sure need a mentor in this.... at least a mentor would make things easier. I am a hands on learner. LOL
Big show up in Knoxville in Dec

I am so excited about being able to raise the real thing this spring. That WAS my first intended timing. Was supposed to build my coop and learn THIS year and get the chickens next year. But.... a friend was moving last FEB out of state and gave me her chickens which she was told were RIR. They weren't so at least I got to learn with the utility chickens and not expensive ones.

I see no reason why one can't have chickens for eggs and meat but do it with the real deal breeds. No reason why I can't promote the raising and breeding of heritage and eat a few eggs. Imperfect ones become Utility birds for eggs to eat while breeding the more perfect ones to promote the breed!

Now I understand I will be the small scale person but IMO every little bit helps. Who knows maybe a person could promote in this area enough to educate folks at the very least and expand enough to not need the food stamps. I am all for doing things natural and without chemicals that weaken both stock and humans that consume the by product. Thus I purchase organic food seeds/plants with the food stamps and grow my food without purchasing chemical filled commercial food as much as I can.

Hence I chose the Woods open air type coop to build and recycled windows, doors etc from house. I make fermented feed grains using home made apple cider vinegar from my trees. Free range and even harvest from grains etc I see them ranging on to put in the feed mix. Plots planted for them too.

So am excited for this endeavor to take the chicken keeping to more of a pure breed and way of doing things. Fresh air, good food, healthy chickens and health of myself.

Bob often mentioned that having even a trio was of help to keep these old lines going.

Love seeing the progress on your coop on your thread. Nice work and love the design of course. We can compare notes over the winter.

WIll pm you to learn what you have planted in those plots. :)

If you can just give us til next hatching season, you'll be able to choose from Nelson Reds (if we hatch enough), Horstman/Kittle Reds, Ron Fogle Reds, and two great lines of Barred Rocks. We just don't have anything much to spare this time of year.

I'll bring you some culls tomorrow when we meet up in Gaylord, to get you some table eggs.
smile.png
private message sent.

In spring? I'll set you up, I promise. Glad to help as I can.

Last weekend, there was a small show down in Birch Run. Some BYC folks were there showing. Wynette did and did well.

I'm basically a lurker here, and I have to say that I'm somewhat surprised the Jersey Giant isn't mentioned more often as a true dual-purpose breed. More than likely, that's because they do take a good amount of time to grow out. However, even though they take so long to reach full maturity, surprisingly, they start laying much sooner than one might think; my line typically begins lay at about 28 weeks. And, they are good layers of XL to Jumbo sized eggs. The spent layers make nice eating. Very full & wide in the breast; lots of meat, and the males have massive legs. I do not caponize, but my Giant mentor does, and folks often mistake a roasted Giant on her table for a turkey. Alright, that may have sounded like a commercial; sorry about that! Love my Giants.

Back
Top Bottom