Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

A Wellie was Best of Show this weekend in Alberta. Absolutely gorgeous cockeral owned and bred by Piet on this site. Walt
Congrats to Piet and sure hopes he posts a picture for us to admire!
Hello and thank you, here is the Cockerel and also a couple pics of one of my Barnevelder pullets, she got reserve Continental behind the Wellie. Also see a pic of the Barnevelders cockerels I brought to the show. Only I could not get the color to clearly at least you see the type somewhat.
Simply stunning birds! Thank you for sharing.

Here's a little know fact for you. From my house to Tucson and back is 1007.2 miles.

My wife and I with the 2 kiddos did that trip this last weekend in 28 hours through snow and rain storms. We're either nuts, or this chicken thing is growing on us.

Any way, here's why we made that trip. 8 White Rocks(4 cockerels, 4 pullets). Marvin is a great guy who spent quite a while talking to me about his chickens plus some others at the Tucson Poultry Show. They've been toe punched, but I'd like to get some leg bands on them for quick and easy identification.

He said they're not at POL yet, and that they'll get bigger. OMG, the smallest pullet is bigger than any hatchery cock we've ever had. Anyone thinking they got good DP birds from a hatchery needs to go to a show and look at the sheer size of SOP chickens. They're massive.

Simply stunning! Congratulations on some really nice birds!

How many of you are starting to get your breeding pens set up? Making final selections? I got off easy this year with small numbers, cuts are made, pens are set up. Lights go on for large fowl next weekend.
. Found myself stuffing eggs in July under broodies from known good result pens. Tired of not having nice older birds for late summer fall shows. Mother raises the chicks and then grow out the older chicks in the runs with this years remaining pullets. Weather is too cold for my electric bill to start pens.

Hello and thank you, here is the Cockerel and also a couple pics of one of my Barnevelder pullets, she got reserve Continental behind the Wellie. Also see a pic of the Barnevelders cockerels I brought to the show. Only I could not get the color to clearly at least you see the type somewhat.

Very very nice birds.

Congrats....very nice birds and a fine job on conditioning as well!!

Quote: Judges: Lewis Cunningham, Rushylvania, OH; Gary Overton, W. Alexandria, OH
Rick Hare, Springville, NY; Mike Wasylkowski; Magnolia, DE
Chairman: Phillip J. Clauer, University Park, PA
(b). Pullorum-Typhoid Clean Testing and Verification:
* All poultry, upland game birds, and ratites (pigeons and waterfowl excluded) must originate from a flock in good standing in the NPIP
Pullorum-Typhoid Clean Program or from a flock in good standing in the PA Pullorum Equivalent Program;
OR
■■ Individual birds (pigeons and waterfowl excluded) for exhibition must have had a negative pullorum-typhoid test within the 90 days prior
to the opening date of the exhibition. The following age restrictions apply to comply with NPIP standards:
• Chickens shall be tested at 4 months of age or older.
• Turkeys shall be tested at 12 weeks of age or older.
• Game birds shall be tested at 4 months of age or older, or upon sexual maturity, whichever comes first.
• Ratites shall be tested at 12 months of age or older.
• If birds are not old enough to be test-eligible, they must either be members of an NPIP U.S .Pullorum- Typhoid Clean flock or a PA
within the 90 days prior to exhibition.
***NOTE: Verification of NPIP Pullorum-Typhoid Clean or PA Pullorum Equivalent Program flock status, or a current official negative test
report, must accompany all poultry (excluding pigeons and waterfowl), upland game birds, and ratites.***
(c). Vaccinated for Laryngotracheitis. All chickens for exhibit must be from flocks vaccinated against infectious laryngotracheitis no more
than one (1) year and no less than thirty (30) days before cooping day of the show. LT-IVAX administered in full accordance with manufacturer’s
instructions is the only acceptable vaccine.

Hi,
Picked this up from the BYC Buckeye thread. I have heard Mr. Akers is quite a talented breeder. Anyway, thought it might be interesting. I haven't watched it yet.
"slide presentation by Doug Akers from 2010 on judging show poultry. In that presentation he teaches there are three important factors in exhibition judging- Type, Condition, and Color.
http://www3.ag.purdue.edu/counties/perry/Documents/4-H/Judging Chicken Breeds.pdf "
Best,
Karen
Just finished. Interesting, educational and very illustrative PowerPoint presentation.
Very awesome!!! This helps me to see some of what people have been talking about as regards type.

Back
Top Bottom