Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

My NHs. are almost 6 mos. old, and watching them grow and develop has been such a delightful, as well as wonderful learning experience. The pullets are sensible, clam and friendly birds, but, the cockerels have only one thing in their minds: romancing everything with feathers on two legs, which has been causing quite a bit of excitement.. Well, I am thankful to my mature roosters who are doing their best to teach manners to these out of

Lual you had a busy morning posting your pictures of the NH and RIR!
They are both looking good. Do you have any eggs yet?

Scott

Thank you, Scott! I am very happy that they are not laying yet; we are going through terribly brutal cold winter which they are not acclimated to. I am hoping that they will not start laying until it starts to warm up a bit next spring.

Yes, quite often I work in my studio into early hours of the morning. I am many months behind schedule, and there is not enough hours in the day : )

Lual

My NHs. are almost 6 mos. old, and watching them grow and develop has been such a delightful, as well as wonderful learning experience. The pullets are sensible, clam and friendly birds, but, the cockerels have only one thing in their minds: romancing everything with feathers on two legs, which has been causing quite a bit of excitement.. Well, I am thankful to my mature roosters who are doing their best to teach manners to these out of control teenagers.. Lual Walt Leonard/ fowlman01 birds
:th I'm in love. :love Those are stunning birds....simply stunning. Big applause to the bloodlines on these NHs!
Thank you very much, Beekissed for your kind comments! I am grateful to Walt Leonard for entrusting his birds with me. Lual

And this is the part that is really to bad as they are great breeds and should be.
Jason

The reason I say they are a long way from approval is that so far you are the only person who has even mentioned their inclusion into the APA to any member of the APA Standard Committee. Read the APA bylaws about how to get them in the Standard. The APA does not automatically include birds in their Standard. As an example a lot of people think they want the Orloff's in the SOP, but no one wants to do the work to get them in. The APA does not automatically put birds in the SOP. It is a lot of work. The next breed up to be tested in a qualifying meet is the Ko Shamo bantam in late January 2014. That took over 5 years to get to the qualifying part of the process.

Walt

Marans were recently admitted, and we're working to get more varieties admitted in the very near future. Walt's right, of course - it's definitely a lot of work, and a whole lot of record keeping. But - very worth it!

Melissa, the birds are growing more beautiful as they mature. Of course, you know I'm partial to the Columbian.
Thank you Kathryn. I know you are partial to that variety. I have four cockerels and I am waiting to cull down to the best two, they change every day.

Marans were recently admitted, and we're working to get more varieties admitted in the very near future. Walt's right, of course - it's definitely a lot of work, and a whole lot of record keeping. But - very worth it!

They will be looking at the white Marans next weekend at Shawnee OK. A couple weeks ago the BBR Sumatra had a qualifying meet and failed, so they will have to go back to the drawing board. Each color of the Marans has had to go back and try again later. Lots of people think these breeds are ready to be included, but most don't pass the test. When you get 50+ together in a meet and see how inconsistent they really are, it is an eye opener.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom