Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I do not have to use lights. There is some variance in genetics concerning low light laying. That is not new either.

The only birds here that are not laying now is the ones that I hatched too early and are molting.

This is from someone that used to use lights. I do not have a hang up with lights, I just do not have to anymore.

They would lay even better with lights though. I am satisfied with 3/4 eggs per week in the winter. I will wait for 5/6 late winter/early spring.

Looking for an answer. Oscar Smart stated the cock alone
was responsible for the inheritance of fecundity in the hen.
Raymond Pearl stated both cock and hen were involved in
such transmission. I am looking for scholarly references
which finally decided this issue from the 1909 thru 1919 era.
Have the scientists finally figured it out?
Thanks,
Karen

Last edited:
Well...it's not exactly about making life hard or easy, but more about having chickens that require very little human intervention to thrive, feed and produce. I'm always working towards more sustainability in livestock methods and the most sustainable are, naturally, those that do not require a lot of artificial input such as electricity, pharmaceuticals, imported feed sources, expense, etc.

I find, in the long run, systems set up to work more independently of such things are those that are easier and particularly so when those things are unavailable. So far, keeping livestock with those goals in mind have worked out to be the best for my kind of life. I'd like to continue in that vein.

Looking for an answer. Oscar Smart stated the cock alone
was responsible for the inheritance of fecundity in the hen.
Raymond Pearl stated both cock and hen were involved in
such transmission. I am looking for scholarly references
which finally decided this issue from the 1909 thru 1919 era.
Have the scientists finally figured it out?
Thanks,
Karen
They both do.

It is more about the family they come from than the birds themselves. There is always variance within a family, but the family tendencies rule. To break the mold, individual performance matters when building a new family.

The cock being more important when breeding with more than one female because of the cumulative influence.

Last edited:
I do not have to use lights. There is some variance in genetics concerning low light laying. That is not new either.

The only birds here that are not laying now is the ones that I hatched too early and are molting.

This is from someone that used to use lights. I do not have a hang up with lights, I just do not have to anymore.

They would lay even better with lights though. I am satisfied with 3/4 eggs per week in the winter. I will wait for 5/6 late winter/early spring.
When did you hatch them?

When did you hatch them?
I would have to look back at the calendar to see who was who, but I think the earliest of what I have kept (as of last week) is Feb. They mature early. Laying 18-20 wks.
Like Matt said, when they are hatched matters. My later hatched birds did not have a pullet molt. I will not hatch these as early this year.

If I can resist it. LOL.

I am always amazed whenever the discussion of "winter laying" comes up here. Light, cold weather, durability in dual purpose fowl. The White Chantecler is never mentioned, perhaps because of the very low numbers of birds/breeders. Perhaps because it is a Canadian breed?

I became interested in the breed due to my extreme winters and living at the 46th parallel. Last year I emailed a few times with Bob, he was very supportive of this choice for my conditions, he suggested a few breeders in my area (I was already in contact with them). As luck would have it I secured some eggs from a very good line of birds from a breeder that lives only 2hrs from me. Her birds have shown very well the last couple of years.

I hatched 5 pullets and 9 cockerels last April, as soon as they were allowed on range I was impressed with their foraging and growth rate. The pullets started laying at 24 weeks and I have averaged near to 4 eggs a day since then. I do have them in a coop with other layers (Marans) and have lights on at 4am which gives me 12hrs of light this time of year. No issues with combs, no issues the cold, cloudy days at all. I plan on weighing some birds next week and will take some pictures if at all possible.

For anyone looking for a hardy bird in the cold that are good layers the White Chantecler still fits the bill as it was intended when they were introduced in 1919.

The history is available at Chantecler Fanciers International. Org

Dan B

When did you hatch them?

I would have to look back at the calendar to see who was who, but I think the earliest of what I have kept (as of last week) is Feb. They mature early. Laying 18-20 wks.
 Like Matt said, when they are hatched matters. My later hatched birds did not have a pullet molt. I will not hatch these as early this year.

If I can resist it. LOL.
I was just curious because my Feb hatched birds decided to molt about two weeks ago, right about the time we started getting really cold (had one night reach -27 last week). They were also early maturing, started to lay about 20 weeks, so sounds like I need to hatch a little later this year.

I am always amazed whenever the discussion of "winter laying" comes up here. Light, cold weather, durability in dual purpose fowl. The White Chantecler is never mentioned, perhaps because of the very low numbers of birds/breeders. Perhaps because it is a Canadian breed?

I became interested in the breed due to my extreme winters and living at the 46th parallel. Last year I emailed a few times with Bob, he was very supportive of this choice for my conditions, he suggested a few breeders in my area (I was already in contact with them). As luck would have it I secured some eggs from a very good line of birds from a breeder that lives only 2hrs from me. Her birds have shown very well the last couple of years.

I hatched 5 pullets and 9 cockerels last April, as soon as they were allowed on range I was impressed with their foraging and growth rate. The pullets started laying at 24 weeks and I have averaged near to 4 eggs a day since then. I do have them in a coop with other layers (Marans) and have lights on at 4am which gives me 12hrs of light this time of year. No issues with combs, no issues the cold, cloudy days at all. I plan on weighing some birds next week and will take some pictures if at all possible.

For anyone looking for a hardy bird in the cold that are good layers the White Chantecler still fits the bill as it was intended when they were introduced in 1919.

The history is available at Chantecler Fanciers International. Org

Dan B

They are listed on Hendersens chicken chart as Winter layers.

Are they on the Heritage list? They look like great chickens for cold and northern places.

I was just curious because my Feb hatched birds decided to molt about two weeks ago, right about the time we started getting really cold (had one night reach -27 last week). They were also early maturing, started to lay about 20 weeks, so sounds like I need to hatch a little later this year.
Maybe. That is what I am going to try. Hatching a little later. Maybe laying for 4-5 months going into the shortest days of winter triggers the molting? That is what I am going with now, because the later hatched birds from the same parents did not go into molt.

Back
Top Bottom