Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I was shocked to hear that forecast at noon--- It houghwe were on to warm weather for the weekend . . as in rain over the weekend. Hope the front moves quickly and folk are ready to order a pizza for dinner. Vam have you ever considered offering a low carb pizza??? I make one and my kids love it. Nothing like a traditional pizza though.
I would love to offer a low carb pizza/healthy carb pizza since I only eat whole grain/healthy carbs and I never eat real pizza either.. I sound like a big scumbag for making something that I don't eat but it's America a lot of people don't know how to take care of themselves. I am going to quit from the pizza business and get a CDL or work a sales job the normal Monday-Friday 9-5 job.. Restaurant job hours suck.

The legacy since 1982 will come to a rest.

Last edited:
I used the web to get a list of judges phone numbers and called them one by one. Many had never seen what I was looking for, and others had not seen any in a long time. I even asked you. Everyone was helpful and shared what they knew.

Eventually I went back to where I should have started, but did not because of a rumor. Since then I used the web to locate three other people working with them. Two seriously. As far as I know that is it.

If I had just went to shows, I would not have gotten anywhere in my case.

Information is easy to access now. All you need is the name of a breeder. If it could be had, it can be found. If you keep asking and keep looking names come up. I ran down quite a few people that used to have them.

I agree that the web is not necessarily a good way when you have to sort through so much crap. I am bringing up an exception in the case of some very rare breeds. It is possible to take a little more.

I think the web is much better for rare breeds, but the mainstream breeders/exhibitors are hard to find. Contacting judges was a great move on your part. It is even very difficult to get a picture that shows a decent specimen of most breeds including common breeds unless it has been ripped of from a Standard. There is a lot of junk online.

w.

@fowlman01

I would love to meet you at the Congress in Springfield, MA next weekend. I respect old school breeders/judges more then new school people even though I am a kid, I only buy from the old school master breeders.

Historically, they had cattle semen storage figured out right quick. Horse semen did not hold with the same procedures. It would be many years before they figured out a different diluent was needed-- IThink that was the answer- been a while since that seminar. 

In HOlland thay have stallion stations. I can just see it now, roosters kept at stations for collection and freezing. lol VDL had a huge lab and regularly collected  and froze the semen. Just don't see that happening with chickens. . . . .though I think they had a chicken operation too. 

Edited for clarity-- a chicken operation as in production, not freezing semen.
the poultry they did in Holland for preservation, a safeguard, and is off course nothing like the horseworld. You cannot buy baloubet the rouet, but you can buy a straw for 5000 and hope for one like him. The horse business is what I come from and also how I ended up in Canada. I was imported to ride and train here and ended up liking it enough to stay. Wiebke vd Lageweg still is one of the largest breeders/ studfarmer and yes off course I know Nimmerdor. A legend on its own ridden by Bert Romp and later Albert Voorn way back. His sire Farn was one of my favorites for a long time. Also Nimmerdor is the sire of Heartbreaker who continues his legend as a proven sire. Studs like that breed 500 plus mares a year in europe. Even years after they die.. frozen semen! How old is your mare and what did she do in sport?

I had read the standard Cochin originally was known for being a wonderful meat bird and an excellent layer of large brown eggs but that when the bird came to the US that all changed. Anyone doing this bird as a Heritage breed and, if so, are they trying to breed for that meat and egg quality it originally possessed?

I had read the standard Cochin originally was known for being a wonderful meat bird and an excellent layer of large brown eggs but that when the bird came to the US that all changed.  Anyone doing this bird as a Heritage breed and, if so, are they trying to breed for that meat and egg quality it originally possessed? 

Since studying the history of the asiatic fowls is something of a hobby of mine, please share the text that mentions Cochins being good layers, I have been unable to find anything in old American or European literature that supports that. It was actually one of the big things they used Langshans for when imported to the UK originally was to cross into the Cochins in an effort to increase egg production.

They do make excellent meat birds though, even today. They put on weight, soft muscle and a good amount of fat since they tend to be very inactive birds, they won't be running off all that feed. Any good show strain will have the meat qualities you want, but this is one example of a breed that was NEVER a good layer. Again due to their nature they don't seem to go through that lanky phase like a Langshan or Brahma does.

Quote:
True. I am grateful it is not the 1800s every time the furnace comes on in the middle of the night all by itself. And hot water comes out of the tap. And the toilet (indoors!) actually flushes. Which gets me up to what, maybe 1914?
tongue.gif
But I digress.

You are right, you could use sperm from a superior cock from halfway around the world if that is what you want to do. And in the case of preserving - or reviving - a run down or endangered breed that might be necessary. The sperm bank project Piet mentioned is a good example of saving sperm from different breeds for preservation of those breeds.

On the other hand, using artificial insemination techniques on a regular basis - routinely importing the genetic material from elsewhere - runs the risk of eventually weakening a flock to the point where the local flock cannot be sustained without using the artificial procedures. Which is antithetical to the whole concept of most heritage poultry. It's not wrong. It's just something other than what most people think of as "heritage."

When I think of heritage birds I think of old breeds that are smart, good foragers, wary of predators, and capable of reproducing enough to maintain or increase the flock size while providing sufficient eggs and/or meat. If they happen to look like the pictures in the Standard at the same time, that's even better. That's what I'm aiming for. But that's just me.

Sarah

Quote: ALl jobs have the down sides-- driving too. Friends husband manages a Conway hub. Every one loves pizza-- it is in high demand. An occassional slice is great. Or once a week even, hence the demand in the evenings or weekends. You are lucky to have a job that you can walk into when so many can't find a job. I've been trying to get my kids to eat chicken on their pizza. Maybe I need to ad some pesto or something, or resh mozzarella.

Back
Top Bottom