Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I got pen pals game bird conditioner http://www.admani.com/Game Bird/Game Bird Feed Products.htm . What do you think? http://www.admani.com/Game Bird/Game Bird Feed Products.htm That's their thing on how to feed game birds. I'm assuming the 28% starter they have is too high, but I've been wrong plenty of times before. When do you think the conditioner could be fed to the growing birds? Normally I feed http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/dumorreg;-chick-starter-grower-20%-feed-50-lb until they go into the breeder pen (about 8 months oldish). I'm open to any ideas on how to feed the chicks this year.

The breeder ration is what I would have preferred. All of these feeds are for different stages of their lives. Their ideal nutrient requirements change at different stages. Personally, if I got the conditioner, I would keep oyster shells in front of the females and top their feed every couple days with a supplement high in Omega 3s etc.

Start looking at the tags on the different feeds at different stages and you will get a feel for what they need and when. The manufacturers of these feeds do not get the recipe off of the top of their heads. They have this down to a science.

The only trend that I see that I do not like is more and more feeds are coming without animal protein. This is to be more appealing to the new market. There seams to be some evidence that the birds do better producing hatching eggs with feed containing animal protein.

Precision is not required with chickens like some animals I have worked with. Chickens are very forgiving. Do not sweat it too much. Just start reading those tags, and you will develop your own preferences. Just base them on results.

One thing you do not want to do is do a bunch of changing. Chickens do not like radical changes.

If it gets to complicated then it stops being enjoyable.

I thought the calcium was the big reason to not feed the layer? The breeder has 3-4% of it. They do get free choice oyster shells so calcium deficiency hopefully isn't going to be an issue.

ETA: what should I be feeding the chicks? I was reading on here that Buckeye breeders were feeding 28%+ protein to their birds they were raising up and getting superior results. Now I was also reading on the Langshan thread that too high of a protein can cause their legs to blow out. Not sure which route to go. High or low protein?

Last edited:
I thought the calcium was the big reason to not feed the layer? The breeder has 3-4% of it. They do get free choice oyster shells so calcium deficiency hopefully isn't going to be an issue.

ETA: what should I be feeding the chicks? I was reading on here that Buckeye breeders were feeding 28%+ protein to their birds they were raising up and getting superior results. Now I was also reading on the Langshan thread that too high of a protein can cause their legs to blow out. Not sure which route to go. High or low protein?
A breeder ration for chickens should have less calcium that a layer ration. Not much less. It is desirable to have tougher shells in eating eggs, vs. hatching eggs.

On the chicks, depends on how they are managed. 28% is not as high when they are eating a lot of low protein grass. House raised, it is a waste of protein. They get this from the ALBC work on the Buckeyes. Also raising them for meat is different than raising pullets for laying.

You also do not have Buckeyes. You have Brahmas. I have never kept Brahmas and do not know what might be an ideal for your birds. I have a tendency to think that there is no advantage in pushing the extra large birds with big frames.

Remember, we are just discussing opinions. I have had different experiences with different feeds and different birds. That does not make me an expert on poultry nutrition.

I am just trying to help you get a feel for what is out there. You would be fine getting what you chose from a local dealer and followed the directions on the feed. The hang up comes when you take producing chicks seriously, because there is rarely is a breeder ration on the shelf.

You don't want the males getting all that calcium from the layer ration. So keeping your oyster shell available gives your hens the calcium they need and the males usually won't eat the oyster shell. Then you can feed everyone in the same pen the same food.

My choices where I am at are limited unless I want to spend a small fortune for the latest trendy food that is out there. I feed our Javas the Dumore 24% chick starter for turkeys/quail that is available at Tractor Supply. After they are at least 6 months old, they are currently being switched out to Purina Flockraiser that is a 21% protein. The one thing I don't like about the Flockraiser is the lack of meat protein but otherwise it seems to be doing ok and I throw out leftovers that include meat to the birds and they also eat bugs and meal worms periodically to help make up for the non-meat protein in their adult food.

It's pretty much a trial and error to see if you get the results that you want. And it usually takes a while to see a difference if there is any, once you change things up, so don't get too crazy if you think that things are going slow.

thumbsup.gif
After all, this is West Virginia. Nor as many vagrants as one might assume but lots of worthless extended family members who expect too much...one pictured below...
lau.gif

Lots of fat and protein their..lol
That grinder could cull that gene pool, to your birds' delight.

The only trend that I see that I do not like is more and more feeds are coming without animal protein. This is to be more appealing to the new market. There seams to be some evidence that the birds do better producing hatching eggs with feed containing animal protein.

If it gets to complicated then it stops being enjoyable.
I was in the feed store this past weekend asking whether any poultry feeds available had animal protein. The store manager told me they don't because most feed manufacturers make feed for a variety of livestock, and if they make anything with beef protein they can't make cattle feed; if they make anything with swine protein, they can't make swine feed; etc.

My basic approach is, keeping chickens should not be a hassle. I don't mind working with different feeds to find the best for my flock, and I keep different formulations for different groups (starter, grower, adult) but try not to make it harder than it needs to be. I am going through a lot more feed since I stopped fermenting, and may try the middle ground of just soaking overnight next. I have to keep it simple enough so that when I have to be away a couple of days and nights to teach a class, Bob doesn't have to refer to an encyclopedia to take care of the chickens.

You don't want the males getting all that calcium from the layer ration. So keeping your oyster shell available gives your hens the calcium they need and the males usually won't eat the oyster shell. Then you can feed everyone in the same pen the same food.

My choices where I am at are limited unless I want to spend a small fortune for the latest trendy food that is out there. I feed our Javas the Dumore 24% chick starter for turkeys/quail that is available at Tractor Supply. After they are at least 6 months old, they are currently being switched out to Purina Flockraiser that is a 21% protein. The one thing I don't like about the Flockraiser is the lack of meat protein but otherwise it seems to be doing ok and I throw out leftovers that include meat to the birds and they also eat bugs and meal worms periodically to help make up for the non-meat protein in their adult food.

It's pretty much a trial and error to see if you get the results that you want. And it usually takes a while to see a difference if there is any, once you change things up, so don't get too crazy if you think that things are going slow.
I suppose what I could do with the chicks is separate a couple batches and feed one batch on a lower protein% and the other on a higher protein% and see what the end results would be.

That grinder could cull that gene pool, to your birds' delight.
They are dry running for when West Virginia passes laws that some feel are long over due. I would love to put up another pic but I'm afraid that my sense of humor might be lost on some.
idunno.gif
My gay friends and family members are urging me post it but I fear it would come back to 'ZAP' me...

Back
Top Bottom