Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I think if bob was to check in on his old thread he would be ashamed to see all the bickering and fussing that's been going on. Either someone's having a pissing contest with someone else or taking this thread way off topic. He made this thread with a purpose, not some place to express childish behavior. If everyone could be constructive and give out contact information of breeders of these old heritage breeds and give "beneficial" information on breeding or raising them for newcomers and the experienced alike, then the heritage large fowl thread might be the heritage large fowl thread again.

I agree that everyone should be entitled to their opinions, even judges. Back in the good ole days of judges such as Alva Rosenberg, Annie Clark, etc. you could ask for , and get a real opinion. Nowadays it is difficult unless you happen to know a judge well, to get anything but positives.The AKC rep. might get a complaint from someone who feels that they are being criticized instead of their dog.

Hopefully we will not run into this in poultry.One caveat...Once you have gotten an opinion; always consider the source !

With poultry.....the judges don't know who the birds belong to. That is quite different than most animal judging. You don't always know who is judging your birds either, so you may waste some shmoozing. I gave a brief opinion of a couple birds that people will pay a lot of money for and this thread is about Heritage/Standard bred chickens. I didn't judge anyone's birds that frequent this thread unless asked. Most people here do not look at birds like I do and are overly impressed when they see the word "imported". We need to keep in mind that different countries have different Standards and if someone imports a bird, how do they know it is a good example in either country? I could have written a paragraph of negatives opinions on that pair. The farm that is raising these has said in a newsletter that they don't care about Standards....of any country. This was in their newsletter a year or so ago and I read it myself.s

It is pretty safe to say I have butted heads with each and every one of you that post here.........;lo0;

Walt

This person posted pictures and did not receive any feedback:

The females seem to be different colors so it is hard to know if it is just the camera or light or if they really look that different. Overall good birds from what I can see other than the cushion on he females and maybe the back not following through far enough. Can't see enough of the male to say anything.

Walt

What jumped out at me on the Faverolles (and I know very little of them) was some finer points on otherwise nice birds.

Personally, I would like to see deeper keels.

I think the females have too much black in the tails and on the necks. Seams that would be a challenge in this breed, considering the amount of black the males have.

Then the cushions.

Overall would like to see the color a little cleaner.

I like the birds, and the breed (I like ALMOST all breeds). I do not know a lot about them. I have wondered if there was any good whites around. I think the breed would look good in white. Never seen one.

If I said something wrong, correct me.

With poultry.....the judges don't know who the birds belong to. That is quite different than most animal judging. You don't always know who is judging your birds either, so you may waste some shmoozing. I gave a brief opinion of a couple birds that people will pay a lot of money for and this thread is about Heritage/Standard bred chickens. I didn't judge anyone's birds that frequent this thread unless asked. Most people here do not look at birds like I do and are overly impressed when they see the word "imported". We need to keep in mind that different countries have different Standards and if someone imports a bird, how do they know it is a good example in either country? I could have written a paragraph of negatives opinions on that pair. The farm that is raising these has said in a newsletter that they don't care about Standards....of any country. This was in their newsletter a year or so ago and I read it myself.s

It is pretty safe to say I have butted heads with each and every one of you that post here.........;lo0;

Walt
Except me. LOL.

I have read this entire site. I enjoy learning .If you go back a couple hundred pages you can see the changes. Karen helped me learn like you all have. I went to a lot links she posted they were helpful. people have to get some thicker skin. Myself I don't what care what anyone says's Just don't mess with my kids or grand kids Everybody just keep posting so I can keep learning .I took me 30 minutes to write this so don't expect me to post much.

I like Salmon Faverolles and hope more people choose to work with this large fowl.
One has to start somewhere ...

Hatch & cull ruthlessly.

KISS

Michele DiCiccio in Washougal, WA is a great one to contact if you're looking for quality Favorelles. Last spring she won either Champion or Reserve Large Fowl at the PNPA show which hosted the Favorelles National meet. Very dedicated breeder.

This person posted pictures and did not receive any feedback:
Redirecting the conversation was my original intention. Hope it ends up working. This is no way to behave on a thread. People simply cannot understand emotional intent behind words on a screen. So things always come across harshly even if you don't mean it online. That is why the best way to promote discussion and continue forward with a positive thread is to keep to the topic at hand (Heritage poultry) instead of talking about other breeders. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Back
Top Bottom