Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

It's late and I'm not sleepy so I decided to hit the high spots of : Basic meat protein portion of our Chicken diet.

Beef Blood 'Cheese'...Beef blood, poured slowly into tubs of simmering water with salt and spices. I get the blood from surrounding farms that slaughter their own beef. They save and deliver the blood to me in 5 gallon buckets that I provide. Many of the folks hang their beef in my walk-in...certainly no charge. I get roughly sixty 5-gallon buckets of this 'liver-like' stuff that I freeze.

Ground Chicken Carcasses...100 to 145 culled hens, cocks and cockerels. After isolation and restricted diets for two or three days, I grind them whole from beak to feet, pressure cook them and store frozen.

Viande de hachee de cerfs mort...Road-kill deer. I get bunches of them. Cut into large pieces, cooked under pressure then ground...and processed like the chickens.

Beef Tripe...Either the farmer brings the whole-filled stomachs or we go pick them up. We store the 'green-material' in 5-gal buckets and dump one or two buckets, semi thawed as needed in the cold months, at the compost pile...birds love it!
Then we cook the tripe....see above for prep and storage.

Once in a while, one of our friends hits a rough spot and has a downed head of cattle. Dead or alive, we pay 90% of market value, have it delivered when they can/will or we pick it up. Pretty much proceed as above.

This constitutes the majority of 'animal protein' that goes into our production flock. I won't go into percentages of this component of our birds' diet, compared to the dry matter that is also added..like alfalfa pellets, Layena, Fermented-feed, even Calf Manna, etc. Don't want to get into a big discussion on that...There's enough here to pick apart.
lau.gif

And NO...we never eat any of the downed beef.
gig.gif
We raise our own grass-fed Angus and Angus/Simmental-cross steers.

I doubt many of you would do this even if you were set up for it. My grand pap and dad bought a lot of machinery over the years at auctions that makes this process a lot less labor intensive as it first appears but it still requires a bit of effort and simple knowledge of handling overhead chain hoists and....willingness to get your hands dirty once in a while...

Thanks for reading...

RON

It's late and I'm not sleepy so I decided to hit the high spots of : Basic meat protein portion of our Chicken diet.

Beef Blood 'Cheese'...Beef blood, poured slowly into tubs of simmering water with salt and spices. I get the blood from surrounding farms that slaughter their own beef. They save and deliver the blood to me in 5 gallon buckets that I provide. Many of the folks hang their beef in my walk-in...certainly no charge. I get roughly sixty 5-gallon buckets of this 'liver-like' stuff that I freeze.

Ground Chicken Carcasses...100 to 145 culled hens, cocks and cockerels. After isolation and restricted diets for two or three days, I grind them whole from beak to feet, pressure cook them and store frozen.

Viande de hachee de cerfs mort...Road-kill deer. I get bunches of them. Cut into large pieces, cooked under pressure then ground...and processed like the chickens.

Beef Tripe...Either the farmer brings the whole-filled stomachs or we go pick them up. We store the 'green-material' in 5-gal buckets and dump one or two buckets, semi thawed as needed in the cold months, at the compost pile...birds love it!

Once in a while, one of our friends hits a rough spot and has a downed head of cattle. Dead or alive, we pay 90% of market value, have it delivered when they can/will or we pick it up. Pretty much proceed as above.

This constitutes the majority of 'animal protein' that goes into our production flock. I won't go into percentages of this component of our birds' diet, compared to the dry matter that is also added..like alfalfa pellets, Layena, Fermented-feed, even Calf Manna, etc. Don't want to get into a big discussion on that...There's enough here to pick apart.
lau.gif

gig.gif

I doubt many of you would do this even if you were set up for it. My grand pap and dad bought a lot of machinery over the years at auctions that makes this process a lot less labor intensive as it first appears but it still requires a bit of effort and simple knowledge of handling overhead chain hoists and....willingness to get your hands dirty once in a while...

Thanks for reading...

RON

I'm sure I'll remember a few things as the day goes on or there MIGHT be questions and I'll just use the ol' EDIT procedure where it makes sense to do so,

One thing for certain, while one must have great respect for them, it can actually be dangerous to be afraid of industrial sized pressure cookers. Fear can make you do something too quickly or fail to do it at all...I know almost for certain that many of you have jobs or have spouses that have equally or more dangerous jobs than messin' with high-pressure steam.

I don't like messin' with high voltage electricity and when I can get a neighbor over here...I leave it alone...except for life or death emergencies....never had one of them here before!
hide.gif
at least not with respect to high voltage....

I get shocked almost every day on the electric fence....I don't even have to touch the wire...within a few inches will 'git' me bit!

lau.gif

gig.gif

Thanks for reading...

RON

Well, you are right about not being set up for this :)

You have got me thinking on a much smaller scale, though. We have a lot of road-killed rabbits on my street. Might be time to invest in a pressure cooker.

Thanks for posting.

Sarah

edited ('cause it's already been quoted enough)
Sounds like you use the resources that are available to you. I don't see why any one should object to that. I think it's great that you can put to use items that would otherwise be wasted.
I personally find it very interesting. I would love to see your setup.
cool.png

What makes the Axial feather so special? I see the Secondaries and the Primaries.
It looks to me like the Axial really ought to be a Primary. Why isn't it? Does it do
something special?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/867306/lightbox/post/13126768/id/6236739
I hope this isn't from the SOP, I copied it from another BYC post by nicalandia.
What makes the number 9 feathers so special they get their own number?
Just because they are the leading edge of the wing? Do they need to be specially
constructed or something?
Thanks,
Karen
Karen,

You've got your wing backwards. The #9 feathers, the primary coverts, are the shorter harder feathers over the bird's 'armpit'. They help shed water off the body and wings, as well as provide a strong connection cover, where the wing meets the body.If these feathers were missing, a bird would have one heck of a time trying to fly.

If the axial feather is missing, a bird will have a gap in it's wing that will make flying difficult also.

The wing bow, and primary coverts protect the joint, and base of flights and secondaries from injury.

Ron, thanks for writing that all down and sharing he details. I"m all for recycling the resources at hand. Especially animals: That is precious meat and bone.

I bought a medium sized pressure cooker last summer and have canned many turkeys since then. Makes for a fast meal for my family: just open a mason jar.

THere is someone else on BYC that cans the scraps from cleaning fish, and feeds that to her chooks and dogs. ( FOr those that don't know, pressure cooking really softens the bones; fish bone turn to mush.)

Well, you are right about not being set up for this :)

You have got me thinking on a much smaller scale, though. We have a lot of road-killed rabbits on my street. Might be time to invest in a pressure cooker.

Thanks for posting.

Sarah
Ha, I hadn't thought about using the road-kill rabbits. I wonder if my wife will let me use her pressure canner to pressure cook road-kill...Probably not. Garage sales, here I come.

The road we live on is called Rabbit Hill Rd, and it's called that for a reason.

Ha, I hadn't thought about using the road-kill rabbits. I wonder if my wife will let me use her pressure canner to pressure cook road-kill...Probably not. Garage sales, here I come.

The road we live on is called Rabbit Hill Rd, and it's called that for a reason.
I doubt my wife will even let me in the kitchen with road kill, I will need a propane turkey fryer to heat the pressure cooker "outside".

Back
Top Bottom