Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

May I interject with a quick question?

Is there a time in the fall when breeders are selling stock they've chosen not to over-winter for whatever reason? When is too early and when is too late to go-a-searching?

Thanks,
M

And Karen, for what it's worth, I appreciate your seemingly boundless knack for tidbits of info
smile.png

Is there a time in the fall when breeders are selling stock they've chosen not to over-winter for whatever reason? When is too early and when is too late to go-a-searching?

Thanks,
M

And Karen, for what it's worth, I appreciate your seemingly boundless knack for tidbits of info
smile.png

It is never too early to inquire about future stock availability. Key word being "future." Find the breeders whose birds you would like. Tell them what you are looking for. It's only "too early" or "too late" if you have an expectation of a timeline. Ask them when birds might be available and go from there.

Yes, fall is a good time to access birds. It gets cool enough to ship, and there is an increase of shows to visit. There are birds a breeder chooses not to cull, but elects not to overwinter.
It would be wise to start looking to find someone with what you want before the time comes. They could let you know whether or not they would have anything available in the fall.

Thanks,
M

smile.png
This year has been a rough hatching year for many, and now the heat is settling in. I know I won't ship now, and neither will many other breeders. Like me, they will have some almost grown birds to sell this fall, because those birds got caught by the heat, and no shipping.You need to get on a breeder's list NOW, to get some of these late birds.

Especially this year you're going to want to get in touch with a breeder sooner rather than later. I know I'm not the only with hatching problems this year. As of now I only have four light Brahmas hatched out for this year. Took them forever to start becoming fertile and then when they did the hens quit laying. That was about two and a half weeks ago. Starting to get a tad frustrated. At least there's always a bright side. The one chick that did hatched out is HUGE. He towers over the other chicks and has a nice wide head! Then the buffs( should have close to fifty after today. I think with these hens just coming into lay this year is what's keeping them laying strong. Plus I had a light in the light Brahmas coop so they would lay sooner, but no one informed me that the winter would be so frigid. Now I just have to wait for the eggs to start rolling out of the lights again
roll.png
. ) are feeling pretty bulky which is nice. Those are going to need lots of culling. I might hatch seventy five of them just so I can be real picky in who I choose. I'm rebuilding the barn so to say. Work in progress.

Especially this year you're going to want to get in touch with a breeder sooner rather than later. I know I'm not the only with hatching problems this year. As of now I only have four light Brahmas hatched out for this year. Took them forever to start becoming fertile and then when they did the hens quit laying. That was about two and a half weeks ago. Starting to get a tad frustrated. .....Work in progress.
I have 14 eggs in the incubator! 8 are going to another breeder. However, the good news
is in 4 days 9 of them hatch and then I can set some more just for meeee!!
wee.gif

Yeah!
Karen

Last edited:
I bought 20 Barred Rock chicks from Jeremy Woeppel. I got them about 2 weeks ago, when I went to pick them up I noticed he had put 5 New Hampshire chicks in with the BR's. All of the chicks made it happy and healthy. The chicks are doing great eating more every day. It is amazing how fast the NH's are growing and the BR's are getting some beautiful wing feathers. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

Back
Top Bottom