Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

There are two very good breeders of quality dominiques in Oregon. They are partners, one lives in Sweet Home, the other is in Redmond. The gal in Sweet Home is Heaven Roberts. I will see her Sept. 20th at our local chicken swap and can get her contact info for you if you like. Just PM me and let me know. You could leave her a message through the Oregon Fall Poultry swap facebook page as well.

That would be good.

Thanks. The woman who was showing Dom Bantams at the State Fair has offered to help me out with a trio at a very reasonable price. My husband wants me to wait until spring and see if I can locate some large fowl in another state. He has offered to drive as far as Washington or Idaho or Arizona - although he would really like me to go back to the Rocks and Black Stars since he thinks the Dominiques are too active for his tastes. His favorite Black Stars and Rocks would sit in his lap like cats, while the Doms only poke holes in his pants and trip him by gathering around his feet talking to him. They did ruin a very good pair of his office slacks, though. That was expensive.

Maybe I will look for some high quality Rocks or Buckeyes. I want a bird that is easy to handle and alert to predators and interested and capable of foraging. A friend of mine has an Orpington that is a very active forager - but due to her size, her feed consumption while also working good forage is as high as that of a penned Dominique.

We are working on retiring to our Nevada place, so birds that are predator alert, and can tolerate both temperatures in excess of 100 F and below 10 F are a requirement. We intend to have them in an enclosure, but they need to notice threats in case a predator succeeds in breaking in the fence or dropping from above. The coop and run are covered with expanded metal mesh.

We had an interesting event in our yard a few years back when we were keeping only Black Stars and Barred Rocks. A Barred Rock and a Black Star were hanging out on one side of the yard, while another Barred Rock and Black Star were visiting with my husband at the other end of the yard. We heard what sounded like a chicken squabble, and my husband told them to knock it off and began to walk over. The hawk shot up from the ground by them as he walked up. It seems the hawk must have been very young and inexperienced and apparently the biddies weren't cooperating with him/her.

Jen's bantam Doms are good enough that she wins best of shows with them. If you like bantams I would jump on that offer. I haven't seen good Dom large fowl in CA for quite a while.

Walt

I don't know the source of the Dominiques you had before but some people breed for temperament in addition to everything else. You might consider talking to the breeder mentioned and ask about her birds' temperament. Don't tell her what you don't want, not at first anyway, just ask about them and see what she tells you. I've seen pictures of Heaven's Dominiques and though I don't know the standard for them, they are very nice looking birds to me.

Can I ask where you will be living in Nevada? I live in Fallon.

I don't know the source of the Dominiques you had before but some people breed for temperament in addition to everything else. You might consider talking to the breeder mentioned and ask about her birds' temperament. Don't tell her what you don't want, not at first anyway, just ask about them and see what she tells you. I've seen pictures of Heaven's Dominiques and though I don't know the standard for them, they are very nice looking birds to me.

Well, they have the same temperament as every other large fowl Dominique I have ever seen before - like a Barred Rock with ADHD and extreme curiosity.

We already spend part of our time at our Nevada house - it is off Hwy 208 between Holbrook Junction and Wellington. We are closer to TRE. We are not part of the tacky mansion area. There is one house across 395 and up the hill from Holbrook Junction that has gables on it from about five or six different schools of architecture - apparently an effort to recreate an actual 19th C. house that succeeds only in looking excessively busy.

We are one of several prow houses in the area.

Jen's bantam Doms are good enough that she wins best of shows with them. If you like bantams I would jump on that offer. I haven't seen good Dom large fowl in CA for quite a while.

Walt

I know. But my husband really prefers large fowl since he doesn't want to have to build 10' fences and he likes eggs.

So I sit here, trying to decide what to do. I'd like the bantams, but surplus cockerels are more like Cornish game hens, and the eggs are small and likely far less frequent. My husband isn't particularly interested in chickens simply as pets or for show, and I can't really blame him. And he does have issues with what happened to his office pants, because that was expensive. He had no idea that they could tear a hole in his office ware. Until they did.

The hole in the pants wasn't a hostile, attack move, it was an attention demand from a lady who felt neglected and wanted him to pay attention to her. Unfortunately, it appears this same lady has taken up feather picking, and I am going to have to make a decision about her, and possibly one other, very soon.

Thanks. The woman who was showing Dom Bantams at the State Fair has offered to help me out with a trio at a very reasonable price. My husband wants me to wait until spring and see if I can locate some large fowl in another state. He has offered to drive as far as Washington or Idaho or Arizona - although he would really like me to go back to the Rocks and Black Stars since he thinks the Dominiques are too active for his tastes. His favorite Black Stars and Rocks would sit in his lap like cats, while the Doms only poke holes in his pants and trip him by gathering around his feet talking to him. They did ruin a very good pair of his office slacks, though. That was expensive.

Maybe I will look for some high quality Rocks or Buckeyes. I want a bird that is easy to handle and alert to predators and interested and capable of foraging. A friend of mine has an Orpington that is a very active forager - but due to her size, her feed consumption while also working good forage is as high as that of a penned Dominique.

We are working on retiring to our Nevada place, so birds that are predator alert, and can tolerate both temperatures in excess of 100 F and below 10 F are a requirement. We intend to have them in an enclosure, but they need to notice threats in case a predator succeeds in breaking in the fence or dropping from above. The coop and run are covered with expanded metal mesh.

We had an interesting event in our yard a few years back when we were keeping only Black Stars and Barred Rocks. A Barred Rock and a Black Star were hanging out on one side of the yard, while another Barred Rock and Black Star were visiting with my husband at the other end of the yard. We heard what sounded like a chicken squabble, and my husband told them to knock it off and began to walk over. The hawk shot up from the ground by them as he walked up. It seems the hawk must have been very young and inexperienced and apparently the biddies weren't cooperating with him/her.

Have you checked on the hatching threads. The eggs for sale threads? It seems to me you can put on there that you are looking for heritage Doms.

Back
Top Bottom