Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Ok, this is fascinating. I wonder if this is one of the ways Egglands Best is improving their eggs. I am going to find out where to buy this All-G-Rich supplement. Read the Conclusion first. I find it makes these articles much more understandable, smile.

Best,

Karen

The following technical article is related to the event:

26th Australian Poultry Science Symposium 2015

[COLOR=008000]Microalgae in Layer Diets Create Functional, DHA Enriched Eggs[/COLOR]
[COLOR=800080]Published on: 4/17/2015[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DAA520]Author/s : Chetna Chadha (Alltech NZ Limited), Adam Naylor (Alltech Australia) and Alex Tsappis (Alltech Inc.)[/COLOR]

http://en.engormix.com/MA-poultry-i...icroalgae-layer-diets-create-t3436/141-p0.htm
-----
 Ah, here we go, contact info for AllTech in the USA. http://egg-cite.com/ippe/default.aspx
If anyone else finds out how to buy this stuff before me,\ please let me know!
 Thanks!

From what I understand, birds that get to graze pasture have better Omega 3s than confinement layers. Lots of different things can be fed to chickens to boost the Omega 3s, like flax seed. These things can make the eggs & meat taste fishy. I gather Omega 3s are even what make fish taste fishy.

One thing I've read a report on that seems to boost Omega 3s without making such odd flavor before the birds eat enough to make better Omega 3s in eggs & meat is Camelina Oil.

I think also pumpkin seeds boost Omega 3s, and make eggs taste super yummy.

So I don't think it's necessary to get too attached to any one specific product ... if your feeds mixer has a thing they like to use, or your birds get pasture.

Hi,
So, I went to the discount Aldi's today and their dozen eggs ( reg. 1.39 to 1.59) were 2.49 a dozen! Wow! Along with a notice that the increased price was due to a national egg shortage. So.....I have rethought not hatching any more chicks this year ( mama hen hatched one lone cockerel). I think I better hatch a couple of dozen because I think chicks will be hot this Fall. I will switch cocks tomorrow and put Tux, my best boy over the 6 hens. the chicks will be 8 weeks old by the end of Sept. They will be smaller because they were hatched later in the year. But will still carry the large genes of their parents. I can feather sex these chicks, so will dispose of the cockerels and just raise the pullets.
Best,
Karen

Hi,
So, I went to the discount Aldi's today and their dozen eggs ( reg. 1.39 to 1.59) were 2.49 a dozen! Wow! Along with a notice that the increased price was due to a national egg shortage. So.....I have rethought not hatching any more chicks this year ( mama hen hatched one lone cockerel). I think I better hatch a couple of dozen because I think chicks will be hot this Fall. I will switch cocks tomorrow and put Tux, my best boy over the 6 hens. the chicks will be 8 weeks old by the end of Sept. They will be smaller because they were hatched later in the year. But will still carry the large genes of their parents. I can feather sex these chicks, so will dispose of the cockerels and just raise the pullets.
Best,
Karen

I have noticed egg price increases and the signs posted stated it was due to egg shortage. Has me thinking along the same lines with my own flock!!! I am just a bit behind you as I am starting out and my babies are only 9 weeks old now!

Hi,
Best,
Karen

Yes, the cheapest eggs at Walmart last week had gone up to $3.07/dozen. I'm oiling my excess eggs for storage so I'll be set for decrease in production during molting and winter.

Yes, the cheapest eggs at Walmart last week had gone up to $3.07/dozen. I'm oiling my excess eggs for storage so I'll be set for decrease in production during molting and winter.
Jennifer
Novice on egg storage here- so tell me about "oiling eggs for storage" . Since your doing it I can hear it from the expert instead of Google . Thanks

Remember that chicken itself will be more expensive too. Growing out those cockerals and putting them in the freezer or canning them for future use is sounding better and better as the prices rise. I just hope we in the East don't get hit with the viruses too. I hatched out 18 not long ago and they are growing, about 5 are males. I am also trying some more under the hens thats broody. Normally I don't keep them all but this yr. I might.

Remember that chicken itself will be more expensive too. Growing out those cockerals and putting them in the freezer or canning them for future use is sounding better and better as the prices rise. I just hope we in the East don't get hit with the viruses too. I hatched out 18 not long ago and they are growing, about 5 are males. I am also trying some more under the hens thats broody. Normally I don't keep them all but this yr. I might.
I bet you dollars to donuts the industry will use this opportunity to KEEP the HIGH prices once this is all history. The prices will never go back to pre-crisis. This type of action started with coffee about 30 years ago then sugar was next. Big business has a proven model to make the large price jumps after all it, (the shortage) drives the diamond and gasoline prices,lol. Believe me they will use this situation to push through their registeration of all fowl as well. They have been fighting the cattle producers for years trying to force electronic tracking of all bovine and registration of all premises. This is just Big Brother, Big Govenrment, Big business trying to control everyone and everything.

I was going to look up oiling of eggs but forgot.

I have a pressure cooker but I'm kind of afraid to try canning meats. I have only done a few things on the fruit/vegetable side of canning so don't have a lot of experience to draw on. I sure wish I knew someone that could teach me all this important stuff.

qball 53, You hit that nail right on the head!

Last edited:
Jennifer
Novice on egg storage here- so tell me about "oiling eggs for storage" . Since your doing it I can hear it from the expert instead of Google . Thanks

I use mineral oil - not really natural, but doesn't risk going rancid or attracting bugs like other oils do. If I were using a natural oil, I'd probably go for coconut oil since it has a much longer shelf life than other plant based oils. But even butter, lard and beef tallow can be used.

Using UN-washed eggs seems to do better than washing eggs and then oiling them - so you need to use pretty clean eggs. I pull out a huge sheet of plastic wrap and put in the carton, use a paper towel/rag that I've put the oil on, and wipe the oil all over the egg. Once the carton is full, I put another piece of plastic wrap on top of the eggs. Air is the real killer of eggs in storage, the plastic wrap keeps the oil on the eggs instead of leaching into cardboard eggcartons, and also keeps minimal amount of air exposure on the eggs. I use the cheap Styrofoam ice chests they sell in fishing/camping department for storing the eggs. They sit in the corner of the kitchen.

The eggs stored at room temp in the ice chests don't do well for things that need the whites and yolks separated, but for normal baking and cooking activities, I've used eggs that were 9 months old with good result. Just break them over a bowel separately just in case you get one that had a hairline crack that you didn't see when you oiled it. They tend to be runny after such long storage but otherwise taste and function in baked/cooked foods is fine. I believe that if they are kept oiled in cold storage, that they will not be as runny, so this year I have a small refrigerator and am putting some oiled eggs in there and will compare them to the room tempt stored eggs for yolk/white consistency.

Just recently watched a video from folks that do a lot of historical research for historical reenacting. They found that in the early 1800s, people some folks tested different egg storage techniques and found that the top three techniques for longer storage and better quality was oiling, storing in wood ash, and storing in lime water. I am interested in trying the lime water and see how that turns out.

I was going to look up oiling of eggs but forgot.

I have a pressure cooker but I'm kind of afraid to try canning meats. I have only done a few things on the fruit/vegetable side of canning so don't have a lot of experience to draw on. I sure wish I knew someone that could teach me all this important stuff.

qball 53, You hit that nail right on the head!
I can chicken, raw pack, and it is great. The pressure canning process cooks it, it's ready to go when you open the jar. Makes for great quick meals when you don't have time to thaw and cook chicken.

Back
Top Bottom