Hernando County Florida

buddyellie

Chirping
8 Years
May 5, 2013
As of the middle of March 2013, Hernando County Florida is now allowing backyard chickens. The limit is four and no roosters. For the complete ordinance go to the Hernando County Florida website. When I called the planning and zoning department in October, 2012, they told me you could not have backyard chickens in residential areas of the county. That was disappointing but the matter could be taken up by the Board of Commissioners. Five months later and with lots of support from the community (as well as opposition) they voted to approve the issue. It was a great experience to be part of the system of getting the law changed. I am very thankful for the country I live in and that no matter what side of the issue you are for, you can have a voice.

I built the coop myself and would not recommend getting chickens until the coop is complete. The chickens grow too fast and it is a great motivator to complete the coop. If you are up to the task, it can be a lot of fun and very rewarding. It has gotten my lazy dogs up and running around watching the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom