Hey all, new duck enthusiast.

Welcome to Byc
I have ducks both male and female
My one drake talks non stop but his voice noise is much quieter then my girls
When the girls get going everyone can hear them
Where as the boys I only hear if I’m right out with them
Also that drake was raised as a baby himself till he was big enough to join the older ducks
So he talked lots of he couldn’t see us at all times
My other boys who had hatch mates hardly make any sounds

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies! I always check in the "What's New" section as well at the top of this page. This way I can read how I may have a similar question or help give some advice.

Hey everyone,

I'm a gardener and hobby orchardist in Boise, ID. I've kept chickens for eggs in the past. Currently I'm hoping to learn more about good options for bug control. We've had some bad earwig and squash bug infestations in our garden and fruit tree orchard recently. I was thinking about getting ducks to minimize plant damage that chickens cause, though that seems to be an issue with ducks too from what I've read. Maybe not quite as much? I'd love to hear input on whether ducks are capable of taking on earwig problems or if chickens are better for that. We're considering runner ducks or welsh harlequins, and possibly considering getting all drakes to reduce noise. We live on a 1/4 plot and would prefer not to annoy our neighbors too much. Which duck is the quietest seems highly contended from internet searches. What would you do if your top priority was bug control and low noise? Thanks! - Sean
Hello and :welcome

Make yourself at home :)

Back
Top Bottom