Hey, all you lurkers! (I mean YOU!) Register and talk to us! - 2022 Edition

Pics
Yesterday's number:

BYC3 (2).png

About 14 year ago a wonderful member of our community noticed that there were a TON of people "lurking" (browsing BYC as non-members) and asked: "How can there be 100+ people lurking on BYC right now?"

Well, a LOT has changed since then... and as I type, I see this listed on the homepage of BYC:

View attachment 3009257

YUP, that's almost 20 TIMES as many "lurkers" as we saw online 14 years ago!

Sesame Street Fainting GIF

So, I'd like to echo the perfect words spoken 14 years ago: "C'mon, y'all, sign up and talk to us!
big_smile.png
"

...and once you join, reply here and let us know why you were lurking, what convinced you to sign-up, and what we (as a community) can do better to convert more lurkers to members.
Season 4 Group GIF by Friends

(oh, and if anybody notices a larger number of lurkers than the current record of 1,832 please screenshot it and post it here)
Since I was a lurker and just joined I will be happy to answer. To be honest, I didn’t realize right away this was an active forum. I think it’s because it’s the old style forum and not what we are now used to with social media. I kept coming here when google brought me when I googled my questions about my chickens. It suddenly occurred to me the other day that this was an active group that I could join! The format is different and I’m still not sure how to quote people. I don’t mind it but I think that could be why some don’t join. They don’t actually realize they can join. I’m super glad I realized this was an active chicken group and I love that it’s not a part of fb. Thanks for keeping this going so long, glad I made it here!

@Jewelschick thanks for posting, and for the great feedback, we're always looking for ways to make the s

BTW, now that you're actively posting... can you think of any ways to better convey to new visitors that we are an "active forum / group"?

We try to push a lot of notices to visitors that they should join. We never want to push it too much (in an annoying way), but also want to make sure everyone knows what wonders there are to joining our super active community! :)

@Jewelschick thanks for posting, and for the great feedback, we're always looking for ways to make the s

BTW, now that you're actively posting... can you think of any ways to better convey to new visitors that we are an "active forum / group"?

We try to push a lot of notices to visitors that they should join. We never want to push it too much (in an annoying way), but also want to make sure everyone knows what wonders there are to joining our super active community! :)
Just a few idea’s
  • Every now and then a highlight link to an announcement. New members get a free membership for 1 month.
  • Every now and then a highlight link to a great article for who’s new with BY chickens or other poultry. And ask the not members to join at the end of the article.
  • Do you use tracking on members/not members? Put a request to join. Make a small pop up or put these in articles that the not-members read a lot.

Back
Top Bottom