Hey all!

Mine is built into the coop. Are you brooding inside or out?

Brooder.JPG

Outside as in coop or outside as in run? I have mine sitting in the run, as it doubles as a broody breaker and medical isolation ward. If you're not really handy a prefab coop can double as a brooder, seen some designs that would work similar to mine.

If you're not really handy a prefab coop or hutch can be converted into a brooder, seen some designs that would work similar to mine: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

I plan on building outside

Not sure where you are located or what kind of weather you plan to brood in as to the future. My biggest challenge to brooding outside is temperature swings, but I brood when it is below freezing or in the heat of summer. I've had temperatures swing from below freezing to in the 70's within 36 hours. To me, a brooder needs to provide a warm enough spot in the coldest of temperatures they will see and a cool enough spot in the warmest temperatures. I find mine are really good at selecting where they want to be if given the option.

My brooder is 3' x 6', I can easily keep 25 to 30 chicks in it until they are 5 weeks old. I heat one end and let the other end cool off as it will. Some mornings I've had ice on one end but the chicks were toasty warm on the other end. In the heat of summer they spend a lot of time in the cool end. I use heat lamps and vary the wattage of the bulbs as needed but heating pads and heat plates can work great too.

My brooder is elevated with a 1/2" hardware cloth bottom. The poop falls through into bins underneath. That keeps the brooder dry and clean. In colder weather I put a piece of plywood on the brooder floor on the heated end to help keep that portion warmed. I just tilt the board and maybe scrape it to clean if I need to, very easy. I've used it as a broody buster, I've had as many as three broodies in it at one time. I've isolated injured chickens in it. I also built my 4' x 8' grow-out coop at the far end of the main run elevated and with a wire floor so I have a back-up broody buster and isolation area if I need it. I like to build as much flexibility into things as I can, makes it a lot easier to manage things as they happen.

I just built https://archeryrob.wordpress.com/2020/07/28/ohio-brooder-with-temperature-controls/ which the big part breaks down to be stored flat in the attic of the garage. I posted it in the articles section also, just can't remember how to find it now.

Very nice. How much did it cost?
Mine is built into the coop. Are you brooding inside or out?

View attachment 2289794
I am building an outside structure behind our house. We have one right now but I'm thinking about building another. Do you think ours will do? they seem happy, I'm wondering if too small. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom