hey any bee enthusiasts out there

Hi. I'm a bee enthusiast.

I have mongrels probably with a lot of native (Amm) Black bee genetics since they are mostly small and dark and survive well in our British climate.
Any pure bred colony will not stay pure for long unless you requeen regularly with purchased queens, which are usually Artificially Inseminated (AI). Personally I prefer a more natural approach where hives are allowed to swarm and new virgin queens mate with the strongest local drones, as I think that produces a healthier colony best adapted to local conditions, but you don't always get the best tempered bees. That said, I have 8 colonies right outside my back door without any issues.

Of course if your climate is similar to Italy then Italian (Carniolan) bees may do very well and yes they are supposed to be very mild mannered and productive but once they swarm and the new queens cross breed, temperament is in the lap of the gods.

Good luck with your new venture. I hope you find it as enjoyable and fascinating as I do.

We have bees here. I don't know what type they are. They've been here for 20 years or more. 11 hives in all, but we've had a couple of large swarms recently so not all the hives are active.
I've posted here because the Asian Hornet has arrived! This hornet eats bees.
Apparently, some French bee colonies have learn't how defend their hives and kill the hornets. It hasn't happened here yet and we're trying various methods to discourage the hornets.

Hi Telf
I now notice you are also in the North East UK..... I'm near Consett. Are you anywhere near?
I'm not sure how your Carniolans will do in our climate. They have a tendency to build up early in the Spring and can then get caught out by bad weather. You might get away with them if you keep them in a very sheltered spot but may need to keep a close eye on them in Spring as they could starve if we get another "Beast from the East" like this year or even just our normal unpredictable spring weather.
Did they fill the super you put on? Are you near to moorland for heather honey? I believe Carniolans are good wax workers. My dark mongrels are not overly keen to build comb, especially in late summer. They would completely ignore a super if I put it on after July. Hope your girls have been productive.

Back
Top Bottom