Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

I ended up making a vegetable quiche-broccoli, red peppers, onions, sausage, colby-jack cheese, home-grown eggs. I made a garlic, basil crust with bisquick. I was going to make a regular pie crust, but went with DH to DMIL's house yesterday and getting home after 4 pm did not feel up to it.

Prairie girl- I just add garlic powder to my regular crust recipe. I sometimes add other things also. Like I added basil last night, sometimes parmesean cheese-or other cheese, other seasonings. All depending on the time of day and the other ingredients. Sometimes when making fruit pies, I add spices to the crust also. I am one of those WEIRD ones that does not like crust(I only like bottom crust), so anything I can do to add taste to it is great.

Tonight is something with stew meat my Mom had in the freezer before she passed. Any ideas??? It is HOT here today (for this time of year), it is also smoky, so I don't want to bbq.

BYB-- Thank you for asking about our DGD. I have been trying to give our DD space to deal with this, instead of calling her constantly. I know how hard this is for us, it is so much harder for her-this is her 'clingy' child. I am supposed to get a call from her this morning after she gets off duty. I had a brief call with her last night before she went back to work. She said that dad did not have to cancel his civil war re-enactment this weekend to go get DGD. She will tell me more this morning. I will let everyone know later on what is going on. I just can't imagine what this 4 yr. old little girl is thinking,. What is she being told ?? They have told these girls that GOD does not want them to live with their mother. They hae told them that every time she takes them from him, she is kidnapping them. If the was the case, why does she keep letting him have visitation! We feel so frusterated, not being able to do ANYTHING to find her. We just want her back where we know she is safe.

Monica

DH wants chili colorado tonight with the stew meat. I looked in my mexican cook books and cannot find a recipe for it!! Does anyone have a good one??

Monica

Thanks for the update, Monica. I do hope that they find her soon. She must be very confused and frightened. Do let us know when you hear something.

As for Chili Colorado . . . I've never made it. There is a recipe at Allrecipes.com for it but since I've never had it, I'm not sure how authentic it is.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chili-Colorado/Detail.aspx

There was also this one:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Colorado-Buffalo-Chili/Detail.aspx

Here's one from the Food Network:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...-chili-carne-chili-colorado-recipe/index.html

And, I have an old Mexican and Spanish Cookbook that belonged to my grandmother. It was written in the 1940s. Here's that recipe, exactly as written:

Carne Con Chile Colorado
Beef or Pork in Red Chile Sauce

2 lbs. beef or pork, cut into cubes
8 chiles colorado (red chile)
2 cloves garlic
1 t. oregano
1 cup water from meat
1/2 cup water in which chiles were soaked
2 T flour
1/4 cup oil
salt to taste
comino (Cumin)

Cook meat in 2 cups water with salt to taste for half an hour, and save water. Wile it cooks, soak chiles in warm water to cover, until soft, about 20 minutes; drain, saving the water. Remove seeds. Grind chiles, garlic, and oregano to consistency of paste; add 1 cup water from meat and 1/2 cup water in which chiles were soaked. Brown flour in oil; then gradually add the chile mixture; add comino and salt. Add to meat and broth and let simmer, cover, until tender, about 1 hour. Serves 4 - 6. This is very good with Mexican beans.

Hope one of these is what you're looking for.

Quote:
Ugh. That must be awful! My son is out your way on a school retreat and I was hoping the smoke was blowing the other way. He's out at Lake Hughes. It's supposed to be near 100 during the day. He will probably be quite glad to be home to the air conditioning tomorrow.
wink.png

Do stay cool and stay inside as much as you can. That smoke can't be good for you.

We aren't getting any of the smoke, though it's there. We can see it in the very red sunrises and sunsets.

About dinner . . . .

Tonight I'm making TJ's marinated Mahi Mahi, brown basmati rice, and steamed zukes & pattypans from the garden.

BYB- That recipe sounds great, I will try it later on. We just got back from the store getting what I needed. I remembered that my Mom had bought me a cd-rom , 1 million recipes. I hadn't ever checked it out since I had sooo many cookbooks and recipes. I looked on it and found about 8 different recipes. I need to go get it started now.

Lake Hughes is a beautiful area. We drive by there when we go to my wonderful sister's house.

Monica

Friday in Wisconsin is ment for fish frys. Seems like some folks don't realize how important they are here?
idunno.gif

Tonight it's haddock fish sandwiches on toasted buns, with fresh spinach from the garden, and topped with home made tarter sauce made with home made pickle relish.... yep, we have the brewskie for wash.

Enjoy this blessed week end. This is as good as it gets, eh?

Stay safe...

~ bigzio

bigzio, we like Friday fish fries here in Indiana, too. Your meal sounds great.

cknmom, thanks for the tips for making crust just a bit different. I'll have to try that sometime. I could never change the recipe for fruit pies as my family likes the crust the way I make it. I use lard and I think that makes a big difference.
Oh, thanks for the update on your granddaughter. Poor dear, hopefully she'll be back in the arms of her family soon.

Thursday night we had Goulash and cornbread.
Friday, Cheese Quisadellas with our Salsa.
Saturday, it's grilling for us. I think we are having beef brisket. We've never made one before so we are looking forward to it.
Sunday, I plan to make a ham. Might try it on the grill for something different.
Monday, grilled hamburgers and brats. I hope to try a new recipe for Jalapeno Macaroni salad. We like jalapeno and it sounds good.

Hope all of you in CA stay safe and healthy with all the fires out there.

Back
Top Bottom