Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

Aneesa's Muse :

I still have 4011 tamales...
tongue.png

There could be Enchiladas Verde on the horizon.. or Machaca...
wink.png

Am I reading that correctly??? Do you have over 4000 tamales stored somewhere? Egads! How did THAT happen?

DD has an orthodontist appt. today to have more brackets added, so it'll be softer food on the menu tonight. I'll stick some goulash in the crockpot sometime around 1:00 and by dinner it'll be done and soft enough for her to eat. Garlic bread and salad to go with it sound good.​

Yesterday both DH and I got hit with heat exhaustion.We are doing a lot of landscaping, trying to get trees etc. into the ground before first frost. Decided to just do two more, put the rest in a trench for the winter. We need a new dog run more. With the two puppies we kept from our Easter litter, our old run is waaaay too small. So they need a new one before winter.

So after being out in the heat too much in the morning, the last thing I wanted to do was be in the kitchen cooking; but I had a roast that I HAD to cook yesterday. Monday I was going through Mom's recipes for the cookbook I am working on for the family, so we can all be making the recipes she used to love. I came across one for roast; I know she would have loved this one. Recipes she had collected but noe made yet, I am making and if I think she would have liked it, I am including them in a 'Future Favorite Recipes' section.

This was Gremolata Rubbed Roast Beast and Potatoes- It took 45min. longer than the recipe said because I had a different kind of roast, but the results were sooo worth the time and trouble. I will be making this a lot!! The gravy was some of the best I have ever had! DH and DGD LOVED everything!

Tonight is tacos.

Monica

Tonight will be chili made w/ground turkey & homegrown veggies from my neighbors' gardens since nearly all my tomato plants got that blight and keeled over < all except one that is now producing huge orange tomatoes

If I had thought to take the turkey out of the freezer last night it would be in the crockpot now
sad.png

I have some stoneground cornmeal from a local mill in the freezer and some buttermilk left, so I am thinking cornbread from a BYC recipe that glazes it with honey when it comes out of the oven : 9

So supper will be late, (my Bad) but yummy for this Fall-like weather we're having now.

Quote:
Am I reading that correctly??? Do you have over 4000 tamales stored somewhere? Egads! How did THAT happen?

Not really 4011... more like 310. I kid...
wink.png
..but there were a LOT!!

Pizza on the horizon.. unless it gets hotter. If it blazes up, I'll start the grill and do some BBQ yardbird.. tater salad.... mater salad.. and such
big_smile.png

We're having south of the border style dinner tonight. It was soo hot again today, i figured we wouldn't really want to heat up the kitchen cooking. I had leftover fresh tomato salsa from the other night and left over steamed rice. So I picked up some ground beef, soft tacos and sour cream when I was making deliveries.
I sauteed some of the ground beef with chopped gypsy peppers, onion and garlic and a dried hot pepper. After that got cooked through and put into a bowl, I sauteed the rice in the same pan with some thinly sliced zucchini and the liquid from the salsa and steamed it until it was heated through. I grated some cheese and have the sour cream out. We'll be putting the rice, beef, cheese and sour cream on the tacos along with some salsa. Dinner is served.
I froze a mountain of gypsy peppers and green bell peppers today, since it was too hot to can.

Tonight it was hamburger patties, with sauteed green peppers, mac and cheese and fresh sweet corn. And as always, fresh fruit for desert. I had an apple from our apple tree.

Since I'm home alone these days
hit.gif
- husband is working in the Napa Valley for 3 months - I have gotten on a baked potato kick for a comforting easy meal. Of course, they have all the goodies on top. But think I'll do a stir fry for dinner tonight and left overs for lunch.

Sandee

Back
Top Bottom