Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

We had an attempted break-in a few nights ago. Fortunately our dog alerted us and SO chased them off, with me hot on his heels. We are still in shock and have not had the desire to cook or eat. So we have been eating sandwhiches and such. Last night I went out and bought a cooked chicken and made salsa with the tomatoes from the garden. We had the chicken, chips and salsa for dinner.

We finally got ourselves together and cleaned up the mess that was made during the almost break in. We figured it was 4 gang members. SO saw one of their faces really well. They trampled our herb garden and smashed pots and decorative items in the yard, some while trying to escape. They might have been trying to get over the fence into one neighbors yard, but that is just covered in blackberry vines
lol.png
Then they ran in the opposite direction, where they encountered our stack of tomato cages (made out of concrete reinforcement wire) and an 8 foot solid wood fence. They did manage to scale that and then proceeded to trample that neighbor's vegetables and flowers.

I really want to move out of this neighborhood. We have gang members living all around us. They have no regard for anyone's life or property. One of our friends who lives nearby, has put concertina wire all around his property. He still cought someone in his yard one night, harrassing his horse.

How scary Denise! I'm glad everything turned out (mostly) OK.

Dinner tonight is burgers (choice of beef or veggie, I'm pickin' Veggie!) and some sort of side dish, whatever hubby picks up at the market.

Denise- The gangs were encrorching on our peaceful neighborhood by the beach, that is why we moved to a small mountain community. That, and we had just gotten guardianship of our wonderful granddaughter. We could not see raising her in the city with gangs all around.
No one bothers us in our valley, I think most people figure that people on ranches outside of town have guns and WILL use them. Keep safe and look for someplace you will be happy and safe!

Yesterday was DGD's 11th B-DAY!!! She picked cedar planked bbq salmon, broccoli with cheese sauce, salad with my homemade dressing and croutons, hawiian bread, wild/brown rice. I found my grandma's marble chiffon cake recipe that she made for EVERYONE'S birthday in my Mom's recipes that I have been sorting through. I made that for DGD. I hadn't ever made a from scratch chiffon or angel food cake. I was REAL worried that I would mess it up. It came out JUST like Grandma's!!! Her frosting was always THE best! Neighbors came over and brought a small cake also. DMIL came to help us celebrate. I REALLY missed my Mom. I didn't invite Dad as he really has no interest in things like that, he only did them because of Mom.

Tonight is probably ribs, rice, veggies, salad, hawiian bread.

Monica

Awwww! What a wonderful bday celebration for your DGD, Monica! Happy birthday to her! My DD is also 11, tho she'll be 12 in Dec.
smile.png
I think it's fantastic that you broke out your grandmother's recipe and made it for DGD. I am the lucky recipient of my grandmother's recipes and several of them make their appearances at our family gatherings.

With the cooler weather (yay!!), I decided to make soup tonight. We're having Split Pea and Lentil Soup, corn bread, and salad.

Thanks BB.She said it was the most awsome birthday she has had. We took her to the fair, she rode lots of rides and we took her to her first rodeo! It was the PRCA championships. She loved it!

I pulled some muscels in my back today so instead it will be leftover broccoli, potato, cheese and ham soup for them and leftover beans and rice for me. And of course leftover cake!

Monica

Back
Top Bottom