Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

Tonight it's Venison wieners smothered in ho-made sauerkraut made in the bean pot with scalloped potatoes and a craft beer for wash! Ho-made wiener buns with flax seed added for added goodness of nutrition.....GO PACK GO!

bigz

Right after Christmas, my oldest granddaughter and I spent the day picking apart the ham. We always buy a much larger one than we'll need. Everyone has some leftovers to take home, but the biggest remaining amount stays here. We sliced the ham and packaged it accordingly - large slices for sammiches, chunks for scalloped potatoes and such, and all the little bits and the big old ham bone (still with lots of meat and stuff clinging to it) were prepped for soup.

After getting the meal-ready packages in the freezer, we tackled the ham bone and more bits of meat and rind. We tossed that into a big pot of water with pepper and onions and let it simmer all day long while we did important stuff like played cards. When the bone was almost bare of any meat, we took it out, then we strained the stock. We divided the strained out meat equally into freezer bags and then added the liquid to the bags, 5 cups of liquid in each bag. We set them out on the porch to freeze. (It was -19) When they were solidly frozen, we vacuum sealed them and popped them into the freezer. Got a total of 6 bags! Yippeee!

So yesterday I put beans on to soak. Today I'll drain and rinse them, then put a bag of thawed prepared stock in with them, chop up the veggies, and we'll have ham and bean soup tonight! Love love love having that vacuum sealer and having lots of "starters" in the freezer! And some ham and bean soup, a salad and some crusty bread is just what the doctor ordered on a cold night!

Blooie, I think you talked me into ham and bean soup this week. I'm trying to make at least one soup, maybe two each week. Last week I made split pea, not for dinner, just to snack on. Well, each male in the house had a bowl about 4ish....amazing how much less dinner they ate
wink.png
. I'm thinking I may be on to something, I just need to not go overboard so they get burnt out. But ham and beans are so filling, and I have tons of ham hocks still....
big_smile.png

Dinner tonight will be a Big *** Salad. Maybe some bread sticks, something like that to go with.

Had pancakes and bacon last night. Peanut butter on my pancakes always makes me think of my Dad, who passed away last April. That man loved peanut butter, almost as much as gravy
smile.png

Anyway, pork chops thawing out for tonight. maybe with an Asian style glaze, some rice and stir fry veggies.

I love breakfast for dinner. DH always puts PB on his pancakes too. I've never seen anybody else do that. I was raised to sprinkle cinnamon & sugar on my pancakes, roll 'em up & eat them with your hands. The kids like maple syrup & berries on theirs... Pancake toppings hog the whole table when we have them.

Tonight it's stuffed green peppers, again cooked in a big bean pot surrounded by home canned stewed tomatoes....ho made garlic bread makes this heaven on earth!

bigz

Last night we had zucchini casserole. Kind of got burned out on it during the summer, but it was wonderful last night.

I'm fixing a pot of beans and ham hocks, but I don't think that will be dinner. I've got ground beef left, I'll maybe do Salisbury steaks again.

I wound up getting stuck at the store last night cause the Buick wouldn't start. By the time Honey rescued me, it was late and I was too tired to cook. Thankfully he's okay with beans for dinner
smile.png

Good news is, I'm ahead on dinner tonight as I already had the meat mixed up for Salisbury steaks when I left last night. So dinner tonight will be easier.

Back
Top Bottom