Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

Oh, split pea is a fave here! So easy. I like to use lots of carrots and onion with mine. Chop and sautee in some butter or bacon grease to get started cooking, then add the peas, hock, salt and pepper, maybe some onion powder if I want. Fill er up with water and simmer. Serve with breadsticks....yum!

Love making soups. Potato, so many ways to vary. Great way to use up left over taters. I normally refuse to follow a recipe, but will put soups together from looking at several recipes and/or just use leftovers. Onion, celery, carrots, salt & pepper are almost always included in the mix. And all the things you can add. Beans, pastas, rice's, legumes. If all; else fails you can all ways add bouillon or canned soups to make it edible. But then, @ 76, I'm always grateful when I have something to eat.
Here's my thing on turkey soup.
Pull the meat from the Thanksgiving turkey, Throw the carcass, & all the leftover juices into a pot with enough water to cover. Add a chunked up onion, 1 or 2 stalks of celery, 1 or 2 carrots in pieces, & maybe some garlic cloves, & seasonings to taste. Cook the pot long enough so you can pull all the meat off of the bones.. Discard the bones, & maybe the vegetables. I like to start off with fresh veggies & whatever. Take to your desires. A little lemon juice sometimes fits well.

Oh. I thought it was just me and the turkey carcass soup.
It was awful. All the same good things went into it as the regular turkey soup, except I thought the bones would give it more ...'stuff'.
It gave it some serious' gross'.
Oh My!

Stock is made from the bones and then the bones and "stuff" is removed by pouring into a strainer.

Regular stock takes two hours on simmer for un cooked bones to render out the flavor. It will be gross cooked less time.

I do cheat and use a pressure cooker. One hour under pressure will make very good stock.

Oh My!

Stock is made from the bones and then the bones and "stuff" is removed by pouring into a strainer.

Regular stock takes two hours on simmer for un cooked bones to render out the flavor. It will be gross cooked less time.

I do cheat and use a pressure cooker. One hour under pressure will make very good stock.

What about cooked bones? How long do you simmer it for? I've been saving my bones in the freezer.

I had the chicken feet set aside today..................but, I just couldn't do it.
hide.gif

What about cooked bones? How long do you simmer it for? I've been saving my bones in the freezer.

I had the chicken feet set aside today..................but, I just couldn't do it.
hide.gif

I am with you on the feet. It is ok though, you do not need to use them if you do not want to.

Roasted bones are an hour usually. Beef bones are supposed to be roasted before making stock.

• 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Cooker--Pressure Cooker,
  • Slow Cooker,
  • Rice Cooker,
  • Saute/Browning,
  • Yogurt Maker, (wow. it really does do it all!)
  • Steamer & Warmer
I might ask hubby for one for Christmas. We usually do not give presents, When we first started out our impoverished married life, we would only spend money on quality tools to make life easier.

.. but, this might count as a tool. Tools are acceptable. Yeah a tool. It's a cooking tool Yeah, I can sell that.
wink.png

• 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Cooker--Pressure Cooker,
  • Slow Cooker,
  • Rice Cooker,
  • Saute/Browning,
  • Yogurt Maker, (wow. it really does do it all!)
  • Steamer & Warmer
I might ask hubby for one for Christmas. We usually do not give presents, When we first started out our impoverished married life, we would only spend money on quality tools to make life easier.

.. but, this might count as a tool. Tools are acceptable. Yeah a tool. It's a cooking tool Yeah, I can sell that.
wink.png
yuckyuck.gif

Ron, can you fit a whole chicken in that?

Back
Top Bottom