Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

I made up some chicken cordon blues tonight for dinner today.

Before:

53126_cordonblues.jpg

After:

53126_cordonblues1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
you can't show me that and not share the recipe it looks yum good piccys
droolin.gif

I know right!!! That looks soo good!

Quote:
What goes into your stew might I ask?

I live in Texas but I'm Cajun....

In a large frying make a dark roux with 2 cups of flour....add onions, bell peppers, celery and carrots....stir and cook until the onions are translucent.

Dump roux mixture into a pot with 1/2 gallon of boiling water stirring well.....add cut up chicken pieces, 1 bunch of chopped green onions, 1 hand full of dried parsley flakes, and 2 teaspoons Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning.... cook until chicken is done and gravy is thick.

Serve over rice with thick slices of butter homemade bread.

Quote:
you can't show me that and not share the recipe it looks yum good piccys
droolin.gif

I know right!!! That looks soo good!

Thank you guys, and it was soooo good! Very easy to make.....it was a pain getting them rolled up and staying together. The good thing about it was that they were not all stuck to the bottom of the pan like it looks in the pics, so all the cheese came out with each piece.

You want to get the biggest chicken breast you can find and cut them in half.

In each half of breast (I pounded out one which helped make it thinner and bigger) I put 2 thin slices of lunch ham and one slice of swiss in each roll up.

I rolled them up and then dipped them in panko bread crumbs. If they are too dry for the panko to stick you can get them wet on the chicken breast only.....brush on egg, milk, or just water is what I used. I sprayed the bottom of my pan with pam butter spray before setting them in there. I put onion powder, pepper, and garlic salt on top of them all....and sprayed them all over with pam butter spray on top too before putting them into the oven to bake.

The bottoms were not crispy but they were not too bad/mushy either but we were thinking maybe to put them on a rack before baking or fry the bottom side first to get them crisped up a touch before putting them in to bake.

Also you can just butterfly them and add the stuff inside....then close them back up. I might use more ham and cheese that way though cause you will have more chicken. This was one of our complaints from store bought. I also thought about using tooth picks or use cooking string to hold them together better but this way worked just fine. I think you need food grade cooking string and we could not find it here.

Don't over bake them....I cooked them about 360 for 40 min but do make sure the chicken is done (of course) I just kept using my digital thermometer to make sure they were the right temp for cooked chicken before I took them out.

We will have this again.....I am not a big chicken eater but put good stuff like ham and cheese in the chicken and I am on it.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom