Hey Grandpa, What's For Supper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roger, your hilarious. You sure would be welcome though. My oldest son say "Mom, you know how to put the love on it". I have some smoked ham pieces I have been saving in the freezer just for such an occaision as this. A dear black Friend of mine taught me how to cook greens. She said always cooked smoked pork with collards and fresh meat with Turnip greens.
I like to get some fresh pork ribs and boil them till they are falling of the bones before I add my turnip greens. Looking forward to a fresh mess of those too.

Roger, I am plum ashamed to mention how good those collards were today. I put that ham bone in my cast iron dutch oven and the collards were all nice small leaves, young. I took the ham off the bone added the greens and cooked them till the water was gone and cut them up added the ham back in. My Lord, if they had been any better I think our tongues would have slapped our brains out. My 80 yr old Mama drove over in the rain to eat with us. I had cornbread and sweet taters. Sweet Iced tea. Did I mention pepper sauce. After she ate Mama took a nap in the recliner and then I fixed her a fresh pot of coffee and a piece of Sour Cream pound Cake I made yesterday and a fruit salad i serve on the side made with chunk pineapple, peach pie filling, mandarin oranges and marsharino cherries, fresh banana slices. I save the pineapple juice and add a little instant vannilla pudding to it and stir in good.
Mama went on back home before it got dark.

OMG, Ms. Julie, you done went a got me sittin here slobbering like a suckling calf now. Where on earth did you get fresh collard greens this time of the year? I just bet Mama drove over to your house in the rain to eat a meal like that. Who wouldn't? I'd crawl on my hands and knees through a briar patch to get to a pot of collard greens. I bet Mama sleeps real well tonight too, bless her heart. I know she had to enjoy that.

Raining here now and has been every day this week. Sooooo, I've been on a bread making kick. Been making homemade bread all week. Just made 4 more loaves this afternoon. Yeah, Yeah, I know. You're not supposed to make bread when it's raining according to some. I do! Don't make me no difference anyhow cause it ain't raining in the kitchen. Got a heavy belly now after eating all that bread.
old.gif

We had a quick easy supper tonight because we have been doing outdoor clean up and chores today! (silly Husband thinks that a clean garage is awfully important
hmm.png
) So we had chicken nuggets and tator tots. Its funny, we don't eat things like that very often around here so my kids think its something special!

Roger, our local grocery stores keep fresh shelled peas, and butterbeans by the hamper that are grown locally along with vineripe tomatoes, collards, and turnips. I never buy my fruits or veggies at WalMart. They are way to exspensive there and not as good. I couldnt have gone to the garden and got any better collards. LOL I think my DH must have mentioned that I cooked collards to one of my Sons at a Church meeting tonite cause he called right away to see if they could come eat dinner after service tomorrow.
That bread sounds good. Do you have a Bread Machine or are you doing it all the old fashioned way?. If I get to stay home next Thurs and Fri I may just try some homemade Wheat Bread

No cookin' here tonight. We went out for Korean BBQ, worked in the church garden (picked green beans, peppers, Persian cucumbers, sweet corn, & canteloupe for church distribution/distribution to a homeless shelter we support), went to church, then went out afterwards with the church gang to the local microbrewery. I'm stuffed!

Yum! Persian Cucumbers...
smile.png

I made a Quesadilla for DH and put some fresh cheese on a Masala Naan with a thin slice of tomato, mediterranean sea salt and fresh ground pepper (red, green and black corns) for myself and called it "good"
tongue.png

We had a long day...

I'll probably go all out for a Sunday Breakfast, though ...so no one is starvin'!

My son is having an end of the summer slumber party tonight. They will sleep in a tent in the yard and roast chedderwurst hotdogs over the fire pit. Chips with homemade bean dip and smores for dessert. I can't wait until the rooster crows at 5:15 am!!!

Everyone's on their own tonight. I'm just too hot, sweaty and tired to worry about food after spending yesterday and today moving DD into her college apartment. 93 degrees and over 70% humidity, yuck. The cleaning, the boxes, the assembling, two trips to Wallmart, the emotions.....I'm done (in) today!

Fed the animals, showered and opened a beer, the first of several tonight. I'm not sure that's what they have in mind for "hydration".
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom