HEY! I AM NEW! AND I HAVE QUESTIONS!

AlexanderDestielHamilton

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2017
Washington State, USA
So I stumbled upon this wonderful website, and I have been poking around a bit and I decided to finally make an account! So, it seems that new people normally do this sorta thing to get them into the community, so YEAH! My questions will be in BOLD

In my chicken life right now, I am planning on creating A GIANT CHICKEN ARMY!!! Or at least get a nice group of chickens that I can teach tricks to. Tomorrow, I am going to go to my local farm store and pick up some Australorp chicks to start out with. So, apparently, you can train chickens to use a litter box? Is this true? It says that you have to know when your chickens are going to poop by some subtle sign they give you, then right before they poop, you pick them up and put them into a litter box and give them a treat. If there is an easier way I would like to know.

I heard chickens love meal worms! So I was looking for where meal worms could be found, because the only time I have seen meal worms was in my freshman biology classroom. So, if there is some weird live meal worm trap that someone has come up with I would love to hear it. Also, what do chickens like as a treat other than meal worm? and what are chickens not supposed to eat?

I guess that is all I have for questions at the moment.

I am to this site as well. I love it. to answer your questions.
1 no i dont think chicken can be trained to use a litter box but is you started with a chick it is possible with a lot work.
2 at your local feed store you can find meal worms or chicken treat blocks that have meal worms and other treats in them.
3 chicks love greens and most vegs you can ask you local gorsery store for the throw away boxs of vegs. they love any worms or bugs ants and such.
4 fresh potato peels are hard for them to digest no hot foods like jalapenos.

1 no i dont think chicken can be trained to use a litter box but is you started with a chick it is possible with a lot work.
2 at your local feed store you can find meal worms or chicken treat blocks that have meal worms and other treats in them.
3 chicks love greens and most vegs you can ask you local gorsery store for the throw away boxs of vegs. they love any worms or bugs ants and such.
I'm new too - I need some help finding out what gender my chickens are?

Thanks! I should have known there would be treats to buy at the farm store lol

:welcome

I'm not sure I'd rely on training chickens to use a litter box. They kind of squat, within 2-3 seconds they poop. And they poop constantly, all day & night, not like a dog that may poop a few times a day on a schedule.

Dried mealworms can be found at almost any grocery outlet, pet store and even Walmart. Most pet stores will carry live and some Walmarts do as well.

Chickens have different personalities & tastes. Some will go crazy for one thing while others may ignore it. For instance, mine more or less ignore mealworms, but love wild bird seed (fattening, don't feed often or a lot). Most enjoy black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS), zucchini, cucumber, cooked egg, watermelon and other treats. You'll just have to experiment to see what yours like.

Keep in mind that growing chicks should be fed primarily their crumble and even adults should be fed no more than roughly 10% of their diet in treats.

Edited for typos, it's late.

Last edited:
We are all very glad you joined the flock! There are a lot of great people on here who are always happy to answer your questions.

My chickens favourite food is hulled sunflower seeds. Don't give them avocado (it's poisonous to all birds) or citrus as that can give their eggs a funny taste.

There's a thread called 'people with house chickens' - just search for it (not sure how to add a link when using my phone). Someone there can explain how to toilet train a chicken, but I think (from memory) you do have to start them very young.

Back
Top Bottom