Hey ladies, it's a nesting box...

TeamBigfoot

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014
Not a clown car!
lau.gif

We've seen two in the box before. Our Buff Orpington is ~8lb. and can take up the box all by herownshelf. I have no idea how all three got themselves in that predicament, but I bet it was hilarious.

Added two more nesting boxes on the ground level of the coop, and they actually saw egg-laying action yesterday (first day of the Grand Opening). I've modified the coop a few times as we've learned from our ladies how they like things. All the books saying one nesting box per five birds must be in on the joke.

My chickens do that all the time.
hmm.png
For the first time it was funny!
wink.png

Oh BTW like your name! Are you a believer in bigfoot?

Last edited:
Not a clown car!
lau.gif

We've seen two in the box before. Our Buff Orpington is ~8lb. and can take up the box all by herownshelf. I have no idea how all three got themselves in that predicament, but I bet it was hilarious.

Added two more nesting boxes on the ground level of the coop, and they actually saw egg-laying action yesterday (first day of the Grand Opening). I've modified the coop a few times as we've learned from our ladies how they like things. All the books saying one nesting box per five birds must be in on the joke.
gig.gif

Bigfoot is the name of our tandem mountain bike (it's blue and has huge tires, like the original Bigfoot monster truck), no relation to sasquatch, sorry
smile.png

Hopefully the additional spaces will solve the problem. Glad I got to witness it (once).

Bigfoot is the name of our tandem mountain bike (it's blue and has huge tires, like the original Bigfoot monster truck), no relation to sasquatch, sorry
smile.png

Hopefully the additional spaces will solve the problem. Glad I got to witness it (once).
Even if you get more spaces, the will still want to lay in the same spot! Trust me!
lol.png

No doubt. And it's not that them wanting to lay in the same space is the problem. It's that they want to do it at the same time. Two of our girls (the Orpington and the Ameraucana) take their sweet time once ensconced, and that creates a backup. I've watched our Welsummer and she'll jump into an occupied box and drop her egg in the span of one minute, then is outta there. Our last, a Red Sex-Linked gets her business done before they're let out in the morning, and everyone else is still roosting. Smart one, her.

No doubt. And it's not that them wanting to lay in the same space is the problem. It's that they want to do it at the same time. Two of our girls (the Orpington and the Ameraucana) take their sweet time once ensconced, and that creates a backup. I've watched our Welsummer and she'll jump into an occupied box and drop her egg in the span of one minute, then is outta there. Our last, a Red Sex-Linked gets her business done before they're let out in the morning, and everyone else is still roosting. Smart one, her.

I have 16 chickens with 6 nest boxes currently. I get all my eggs from the same nest. And yes the will sit on top for one another while laying. Chickens are neurotic. Funny hens!
roll.png
ya.gif
Yeppers!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom