hey oegb breeders...new pics pg 4~ post #33

so there isint much promise huh

what should i b looking out for at the ohio nationals in means of a sq rooster for them
perferably sd or bbr

Quote:
You will be able to find a good bird at The OHIO NATIONAL in either SD or BBR. Bring a 50 with you or better yet a 100 and get a pair. You will save a lot of money by buying better birds if you are serious about breeding quality stock.
Since you are close try to get to the show on Friday as soon as you can and plan on staying till the lights go out. Go to the OEGB aisles and ask anyone who is cooping and grooming birds about what you need. They will be helpful. On Saturday morning things are pretty hectic and no one will have much time to chat.

On Saturday morning Traders Row will be very active but you might not find the seller until after the judging starts. You want to get birds from the people who are more interested in the show than selling birds anyhow. That is pretty much the difference between breeders and hatchers.

Hot tip- Don't ask about purchasing a "rooooo", a "girl" or a "chook". If you are talking to serious poultry people they not appreciative nor amused by the "baby talk". You will seldom hear the term "show quality" used by exhibition poultry breeders either. It is a useless term for them.

All that aside make sure you come to the show - you will enjoy it very much. That is why it is the nations largest annual poultry show!

21814_normal_200720nicholson20agb20bb20red20brood20cock.jpg

Well you have picked the hardest of the OEGB's to breed for show.
This first bird is a pic from another breeder of a fair Cock.

I am on my 3rd generation and placed 4th at our county fair this year with this cock
21814_100_2089.jpg

I don't know how knowledgeable you are with breeding so I don't know where to tell you to start. It can be really complicated and takes some time to get the right bird.
If you are really going to get into this you first need to get a copy of "The Standard of Perfection." There is also one just for Bantams.
Then you need to decide if you want show quality Hens or show quality Cocks. They are bred differently.
The guy is right though what you have won't get you good hens. Better pics may help me determine if you have good stock for Cocks.
I can explain later after I get more info from you. I.E What do you know about breeding , What are your goals. Feel free to e-mail me.

i know just about everything there is to know about chickens
except breeding/showing
never really got into it
been raising chickens for just about 5 years now
i know that isint long but ive learned everything
except what i just mentioned
thats why im asking lol

neil ive been to the ohio nationals every year since i got into chickens
its the highlight of my year to go there

my goal is to basically get some good breeding stock to show and breed
i want really good birds so just tell me everything about how to get started
thank ya alot every1

cole

Quote:
Go to the American Poultry Association website, the Standard is available for sale there.
BTW-congrats on learning everything there is to know about chickens in only 5 years. I/ve been at it for nearly 50 years & am still learning.

Quote:
I will get you the names of the SD and BBR guys that are usually there. Carl Stough, Terry Hogebach, TNT are usually there. Look up Jason Pettit, he raises blacks, but knows everybody and can steer you in the right direction.
I have missed only one OHIO NATIONAL since 1974. I had to stay in Turkey for five extra days and didn't get home in time.
Ain't it great!! Thanks for attending.

Quote:
Go to the American Poultry Association website, the Standard is available for sale there.
BTW-congrats on learning everything there is to know about chickens in only 5 years. I/ve been at it for nearly 50 years & am still learning.

ok well maybe not everything but i can pretty much ansswer any question there is that i get asked lol

Quote:
I will get you the names of the SD and BBR guys that are usually there. Carl Stough, Terry Hogebach, TNT are usually there. Look up Jason Pettit, he raises blacks, but knows everybody and can steer you in the right direction.
I have missed only one OHIO NATIONAL since 1974. I had to stay in Turkey for five extra days and didn't get home in time.
Ain't it great!! Thanks for attending.

the ohio nationals is the coolest place ive ever been to
ppl that arent bird lovers just wouldnt understand lol
and thank s ill look him up
ill try and get pics here soon
the birds just arent cooperating with me
tryed a little bit ago and they went straight into the woods

Back
Top Bottom