Hey you! Go put some eggs in that incubator, u know u want to! 08/11

Okay, I put 12 eggs in the 'bator yesterday. This is my first attempt. My eggs are 3 FBCM, 3 Blue Orpingtons, 2 Blue Copper Marans and 4 Cuckoo Marans.
idunno.gif
I'm supposed to get another blue orpington egg and 6-9 FBCM eggs soon.

I did it! I'm in & all the while waiting for my current incubating eggs to hatch. Any moment now I'm sure ... despite not seeing any movement. I'm scared. I went from 24 to 4 eggs. Like you ... very disappointed, said I wasn't doing it again & I'll just order what I need from mypetchicken. But right now, in my 15 gallon incubator, there is 47 mixed breeds as of 2 hours ago. So ... I'm in ... again. My last attempt. Just like my current one.

I've read not to add large eggs into the bator but that's all my Dixie's lay. Porous eggs are also in. If I'm doing it, might as well go the whole 9, don't do it again, yards.
My humidity will be kept under 55% this round. I was doing 60% but wonder if that was too high despite it working for others.

I'm insane for doing this !!!

Buff Orp x Light Brahma
Buff Orp x Barred Rocks
Buff Orp x Dixie Rainbows

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
I have 5 healthy little chickies from my very first incubator hatch - they hatched on Saturday, Aug 7. I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL!!
fl.gif

I am anticipating some new eggs from a BYC member and will be starting another batch to hatch very soon.

I put 4 BR eggs in the bator' yesterday
big_smile.png
This will be my first chicken hatch...so please keep your fingers crossed! My first incubating egg experience was with quail, and even though I got 7 the results really weren't that good figuring I had 30 something eggs in there.
roll.png
Better luck this time hopefully!

I hope everyone has a great hatch!

Oooh we have some first attempts in the bunch! That is very exciting. I'll never forget how excited I was to see the first pip and then the first chick. It was truly a great experience, you guys are going to have a great time. And if things don't go well, just remember it's a finicky process and don't get too down. I bet your hatches will be great though, beginners luck!!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Were these those 5 from the 7 you hatched in your new incubator? Cool!
yippiechickie.gif

Yup! They are ADORABLE. I have noticed a couple of things maybe others who have hatched before might confirm or scoff at: these are VERY quiet little chicks. They happily just cheep as they go about doing baby chick things. There has been NO upset peeping at all (well, other than when one pecked at another and connected). They even peep very very softly in their sleep. Very contented little chicks. And NO PASTY BUTT.

I am imagining it's because they have NOT been stressed by the things that happen to feed store chicks: hatched in huge numbers, shoved into boxes, shipped, unpackaged into big bins crowded with tons of other chicks, lots of people handling them, but otherwise no loving touches, shoved into a box and riding home in a car and FINALLY getting a relatively private brooder. All that stress.

While these sweethearts were merely moved from the incubator to a waiting, set up, warmed brooder with food and water. And gentle touches.

They're just ... way cuter than all the feed store chicks I've ever gotten. I mean, cuter, faster. They fluffed up and have stayed fluffy and chubby. Cute from the get-go. (I've got good looking pullets and roosters, but this is a higher level of adorable-ness. Adorable-ocity? Adorable-escence??)

Yah, I'm ready to make more chickies from eggs. You betcha.

Last edited:
I'm on day 4. Anyone candle yet? I decided to last night thinking it was too early. Having received advice not to bother until day 7, I'm glad I did not listen.

I pulled an egg out & it seemed "well advanced" compared to the others. It was beyond blood spot & huge yet no veins. I kept going back to it thinking something was wrong. That thing was not going back into the bator. Instead, at the kitchen sink, I performed an eggtopsy. Barely touching the bottom of the sink to crack it open, the bottom of the egg exploded. The goo & smell was wretched. The aroma floated through my kitchen & my living room.

Moral of the story ... candle on day 3.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom