Hi! Any help is welcomed please guide me! (^_^)

Cynthia 085

Songster
7 Years
May 4, 2014
CO
Hi guys
So I have been doing a lot of research in hopes that I can take care of my chickens right.

Long story short we were not expecting to have chickens at all; they were not planned. Usually I do a lot of research before getting any pet or animal to ensure a happy, secure, and healthy life.

However, we suddenly had two chicks with no chicken coop and did not know anything about taking care of them (my family and I).

Thanks to you guys here I have been able to learn a lot about the proper care for my birds.

I have a couple of questions for you. I greatly appreciate your experience, opinions, and knowledge.

1. My chicken coop has no ventilation; how do I fix this especially before the winter hits? The chicken coop is small as I live in the city; currently housing 3 chickens. I am unsure how to go about installing some vents or whatever I have to do.

2. Can 3 chickens create enough body heat for the winter? Here in CO it can get pretty cold @12F during Jan.

3. Can I have sand as bedding during the winter instead of wood (pine I think) chips for the winter? I read that during winter you want to keep the birds dry and not wet. Having sand is best (according to an Article I read), but what if the chicken eats sand? Would it cause other intestinal issues (blockage)?

4.I have water and food inside the coop? and water outside too. I read that this is not a good thing. Causes humidity inside the coop and with no ventilation can cause death. So should I remove them?

5. I decided to get my silkies a coop for themselves (mixing them is not a good idea with the other laddies). Will 3 silkies be Ok in the winter? Would that be enough for them to get some heat going or do I need to install some sort of heater for them? Contrary to what I have read and heard, (from what I have seen) they get cold very easily; they are not good birds for the winter.

Cynthia

Last edited:
Well I have just read that sand is really bad for the chickens so I guess I am sticking with the original bedding.

Contradicting information online really.

Hey Cynthia,

Only had a year and a half at this chicken adventure myself, but I will tell you what I have learned...mostly by trial and error. In response to your questions:

1. Yes, your coop needs to be ventilated or your chickens will get respiratory issues. Maybe if you submit a pic of the coop, someone can
pipe in on the best way to add ventilation.

2. I would say NO. We have about 90 chickens. We lost a few this past winter because it got so cold. They have a good coop, it just
got below 0 several days on end. Colorado is colder than Ohio.

3. We only offer a small amount of sand periodically as grit if we run out of oyster shell. Never heard of using it for bedding. We use
straw.

4. Again, I would say you need ventilation. Chickens need access to water at all times.

5. I don't have any silkies, but we did have a golden polish crested hen. She was much smaller (and noisier!) than all the other chickens.
We had no issues with her mixing with our flock. Just lost her this spring to a raccoon. If you wanted to keep the Silkies separate
for breeding purposes or whatever, it will be fine, just as long as their coop is adequate.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure some of the experts will chime in.
big_smile.png
I am learning everyday. Have a great day.

Hi guys
So I have been doing a lot of research in hopes that I can take care of my chickens right.

Long story short we were not expecting to have chickens at all; they were not planned. Usually I do a lot of research before getting any pet or animal to ensure a happy, secure, and healthy life.

However, we suddenly had two chicks with no chicken coop and did not know anything about taking care of them (my family and I).

Thanks to you guys here I have been able to learn a lot about the proper care for my birds.

I have a couple of questions for you. I greatly appreciate your experience, opinions, and knowledge.

1. My chicken coop has no ventilation; how do I fix this especially before the winter hits? The chicken coop is small as I live in the city; currently housing 3 chickens. I am unsure how to go about installing some vents or whatever I have to do.

2. Can 3 chickens create enough body heat for the winter? Here in CO it can get pretty cold @12F during Jan.

3. Can I have sand as bedding during the winter instead of wood (pine I think) chips for the winter? I read that during winter you want to keep the birds dry and not wet. Having sand is best (according to an Article I read), but what if the chicken eats sand? Would it cause other intestinal issues (blockage)?

4.I have water and food inside the coop? and water outside too. I read that this is not a good thing. Causes humidity inside the coop and with no ventilation can cause death. So should I remove them?

5. I decided to get my silkies a coop for themselves (mixing them is not a good idea with the other laddies). Will 3 silkies be Ok in the winter? Would that be enough for them to get some heat going or do I need to install some sort of heater for them? Contrary to what I have read and heard, (from what I have seen) they get cold very easily; they are not good birds for the winter.

Cynthia
1 - Check in over in the coop section, they have ton of ideas for venting a coop.
2 - If the chickens are feed properly your chickens should be just fine.
3 - I use only sand in my coops, no straw. The sand tends to keep the coop floor dryer and also most chickens roost so they really don't need a bedding material.
4 - Once you have good ventilation you will be able to have the water inside.
5 - Silkie should be ok in the winter, just remember that this is about the only breed of chicken that will not roost, A smaller box (2' x 2' sq.) with some wood shavings should do fine for keeping them comfortable.

I used sand in the brooder since day one. Out in the coop I go to the road end of my driveway and just shovel up a wheelbarrow full of the sand the snowploys pushed to the side of the road. It's full of twigs and grass and other stuff. They have no problem walking and picking through and pooping on it. I put about 3" or so. This is on the bottom part of the coop. Underneaylth the sleeping part. It's enclosed and is where their food and water is. Up top there is nothing. They go up there only to sleep.

Outpost JWB

Sorry for my abrupt comment. Chickens take up a lot of my time :) I am babysitting my neighbors chickens.

Thanks for suggesting the pictures. I will post pictures of the chicken coop so I can get further help with ventilating the coop.

I live in the city; we are not permitted a lot of chickens; 6 is max, but I have 7. I don't want the city to take my chickens so I can't have a lot.

Looks like bedding is a debatable topic in chicken keeping. I have wood shaving and straw too; I was just reading up on sand.

Many people here have suggested that I keep the silkies separate from the others; I am not a breeder and don't plan to breed. We are not allowed a rooster (T.T)

People here suggested I keep them separate from the big girls instead of keeping them together. Many people think is Ok, but I am afraid they will get bullied too much. So we are extending out existing chicken coop and putting in a separator for the silkies.

Thanks again for the information. I greatly appreciate it. :)
Cynthia

Chris09

Thanks for taking the time to write.

What do you mean well fed? I will give them food. I have read that they need corn during the winter months? Is this true? How much food should be given and how frequently? Any new food that I should add like corn?

Chris09

Thanks for taking the time to write.

What do you mean well fed? I will give them food. I have read that they need corn during the winter months? Is this true? How much food should be given and how frequently? Any new food that I should add like corn?
If the chickens are feed properly, meaning full feed and feeding a good poultry feed around 18% protein and less than 10% of there diet being treats.
They don't need corn in the winter, in fact I try to cut back on corn in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom