Hi From Baltimore City (Md) Chicken Obsessive Newb!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Eanwulfx, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Eanwulfx

Eanwulfx Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    Hello Cyber space- er Backyard chickenites!
    My name is Seth, Im a novice chicken keeper in baltimore city. I am chicken obsessive I guess, I have been reading about chickens and plotting to have chickens for YEARS. Infact most of my friends are tired of having to hear me talking about chickens.

I moved to balt. City 6 months ago and moved in with my Companion Tom. One day Tom said the immortal words "Seth- how would you feel about getting chickens" and lit the fuse. Less then a month later we had built up a chicken coop out of disgaurded pallets and reused materials for less then $15!

One painfully early morning at 7am I packed his van with his two eldest kids and shoved im into the passanger seat to make the 1.5 hour ride to a local* poultry swap so we could be one of the first people there. (We didnt manage to get there early at all... My navigator fell asleep and we got a bit lost- Next time GpS not "Tom Tom'.) We purcased four chickens two adult two started pullets only eight weeks old. A black Orprington "Boo"
    A Blue laced Red Wydotte (Sue) A beautiful standard Cochin (Atillia) and a Mixed "easter egger" type (Thai.)

Its been a brilliant ride, I have helped to change the perspective not only of chickens but of "meat" animals in general in my area. Showing that they have personalitys and temperments that vary not just breed from breed but with individual animals. I dont have a closed flock- The neigbors always come by and peak over my fence to watch my chickens. The kids around here really love being able to see them.

Sadly Thai, basicly a house chicken and the most loved of my tiny flock suffered from failure to thrive and passed away despite special treatment and care. This winter I am thinking to start Silkie chicks to take in the slot of "House chicken" in my childerns hearts though we can never replace Thai.

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Hi, Welcome to BYC.....glad u joined

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    WELCOME TO BYC FROM CANADA!!

[​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Eanwulfx, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Best of luck to you!!

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello and welcome to BYC from 'The Heartland' of Kentucky.

[​IMG]

10. sezjasper

sezjasper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Welcome from a fellow Marylander! Good luck with your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by