Hi from Connecticut

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Steigler24, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Steigler24

Steigler24 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2015
    Southwest Connecticut
    Hi all! I conned my hubby into trying backyard chickens 2 years ago and we've been hooked ever since. I've been a long time lurker and figured I'd finally join up. We designed and built our own 6x8 coop for our mixed flock of 9 hens and 1 accidental rooster.

[​IMG]

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Steigler24 [​IMG] Welcome!

Your coop is beautiful!

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Very nice looking coop, thanks for sharing a photo! What breeds of chickens do you raise?

4. Steigler24

Oct 7, 2015
    Southwest Connecticut
    I wanted cold hardy chickens and an assortment of egg colors so we went with:

First Clutch:
    Black Austrolorp- Steve
    Speckled Sussex- Runty
    Golden Laced Wyandotte- Brave
    Silver Laced Wyandotte- Twin
    Red Laced Blue Wyandotte - Red
    Salmon Faverolle- Henrietta (deceased)

[​IMG]
    (Runty during a molt)

Second Clutch:
    Black Austrolorp- Eva
    Buff Orpington- Ginger and Wacky Wings (WW chick only lived 2 days from hatchery)
    3 Easter Eggers- Bette, Doris and Scarlett

[​IMG]
    (Ginger- Will not keep a saddle on and is losing back feathers all the time to Steve, I'd love any tips or suggestions)

I'd love to have some blue egg layers but I don't want to crowd my ladies any further at this point.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC -- I'm so glad you've joined us. What a darling coop! Sounds like a lovely mixed flock you have there, I'm a big fan of variety.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like she needs some time away from the Rooster or better yet, he should be put in a bachelor pad to give her time to heal. Better than she stay with the girls so she doesn't have to be re-introduced later. If she has any wounds from HIM, please cover up with blu-kote when her saddle is off, so the other birds won't pluck her feathers. If the other girls are losing feathers, it means HE is breeding your hen too much. Maybe the others are fast and get away from him.

A rooster can handle 10 tens, if you have more than one rooster - they do damage the girls from over breeding.

7. MissNutmeg

MissNutmeg Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

8. Steigler24

Oct 7, 2015
    Southwest Connecticut
    yeah, several of the girls are showing bare backs from our rooster Steve. We hoped having 9 hens would be enough but nope. He goes bananas if separated from them. How/what would you recommend for a bachelor pad set up?

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, and welcome to BYC! I am so glad you joined us, please make yourself at home here! I think you'll like it! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by